Does anyone know anything about 'ardex' axes?

So the Ardex head is out of the vinegar. When I peeked at it yesterday, I couldn't see the tempered section (sorry, don't know the technical name yet). I was looking at about an inch from the edge. Today, I took it out of the vinegar and was impressed by the size of the tempered section. Then I thought, I should ask the masters on this forum if that is a good thing or not? Does it indicate anything in particular? A modern feature? Poor axe construction? A fantastic sign of an axe that will be useful, basically for ever?

Generous amount of tempered steel there. There won't be any blade left by the time the file runs out of it.

A deep temper is good so long as it stays away from the eye. Hard eyes crack. I once cracked the eye of a True Temper broad hatchet by aggressively driving a wood wedge. I suspect there was a heat treat issue involved. Also, I've found numerous old axes left in the weather with cracked eyes. I think the wood in the eye got saturated and then froze. Freezing water is the irresistible force.

The Ardex stamp plus head weight on this one certainly looks to have been done at the time of forging. The 'behind the scenes' of Radomski's Canadian operations have got to make for a very interesting story. Did he have 'a go of it' for a year or two with inside help from loaned German/Austrian craftsmen (why the identical motifs?) or was his stuff sole-source farmed-out right from day one.
One scenario for instance, was there a prominent Radomski involved in tool manufacture in Europe who discretely supported family members that had emigrated? Folks tend to be nationalist in purchases (or were at one time) and perception of 'made in Canada' would have commanded a higher price and more sales than were the same item identified as 'made in Austria'.

Last edited:
The history is fascinating. I can't wait to get the haft on it. It certainly doesn't look to have been used very much. The cheeks are very narrow, suggesting a felling axe.

So the Ardex head is out of the vinegar. When I peeked at it yesterday, I couldn't see the tempered section (sorry, don't know the technical name yet). I was looking at about an inch from the edge. Today, I took it out of the vinegar and was impressed by the size of the tempered section. Then I thought, I should ask the masters on this forum if that is a good thing or not? Does it indicate anything in particular? A modern feature? Poor axe construction? A fantastic sign of an axe that will be useful, basically for ever?

Is this a Wisconsin pattern? There are 3 similar patterns and I can't tell which is which.

Is this a Wisconsin pattern? There are 3 similar patterns and I can't tell which is which.

Euros tend to have entirely flat cheeks and n. American have more of a convex profile near the middle. Lay a straight edge on the blade and parallel to the eye. I thought Michigan and Dayton were the more common profiles used in Canadian axes.

Hi guys,

I was looking around for information about a crowbar I have made by Ardex, and I found this forum thread. I like Canadian tools, and buy them whenever I find them. Thought I would make an account and post some pictures of it in hope someone might know more about their crowbars. It is about 23.5" long.

Y8B5Qi1.jpg

IZRp0ho.jpg

Well Lars I think as much as is known about the company is to be found all throughout this thread. Whether Ardex tools were marketed and sold outside of Canada I don't know.

I recently refinished an Ardex axe and created a thread to discuss it. Unfortunately, for some reason, I can't post photos any longer. IF I can get this resolved, I will share the pictures. IT is a good axe to be sure.

It's a fashionable Hudson Bay pattern and the handle length suggests it's 2 lb (the head) instead of the 1 lb HB hatchets (from other sources such as Norlund) that are usually featured on here. If you're looking for era of manufacture of a Toronto-based Radomski-commissioned "Ardex" it will be mid 1950s to late 60s, give or take. Guaranteed these are not heirloom classics from a previous century.

It's a fashionable Hudson Bay pattern and the handle length suggests it's 2 lb (the head) instead of the 1 lb HB hatchets (from other sources such as Norlund) that are usually featured on here. If you're looking for era of manufacture of a Toronto-based Radomski-commissioned "Ardex" it will be mid 1950s to late 60s, give or take. Guaranteed these are not heirloom classics from a previous century.

does it worth anything?

No doubt about it that axe is unusual, is pretty and it's in good shape. The handle has seen better days (it's badly weathered and has overstrike damage) and recreating a new one, that gives you confidence, and that imitates/copies the old (right down to the red 'flagging' paint) ought to be a nice project for you.

Is it worth anything? Listing it on fleabay will tell you that but then it'll be gone. Currently there is considerable fetish on that auction site for Hudson Bays but an Ardex may, or may not, excite those bidders. A new Rona, Home Depot or Home Hardware axe is gonna set you back $50 plus tax and an HB from Council Tools (or from the Swedes if you're pockets are deep) will be much more.

In my opinion, if there is going to be a hunter/camper or utility axe in your future I think you've already found it.

Last edited:
No doubt about it that axe is unusual, is pretty and it's in good shape. The handle has seen better days (it's badly weathered and has overstrike damage) and recreating a new one that you can trust and that imitates/copies the old (right down to the red 'flagging' paint) ought to be a nice project for you.

are you able to give an estimate of its value?

Back