1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Does better half know you bought a new blade?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by LoopCutter, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Mobster1983

Mobster1983

Jun 14, 2014
    This. Lol

2. Redhills

Redhills

Aug 30, 2015
    I do not ask about her shoes; she does not ask about my knives. The specifics may vary from year to year, but that general agreement has kept us happy through our silver anniversary.

3. Joshua J.

Joshua J.

Feb 27, 2005
    No. I make sure my common sense is well hidden or incapacitated when making these sorts of decisions.

4. elrond18

elrond18

Apr 2, 2014
    I never tell my wife that I ordered another and it's delivered in my mom's address. Wifey will only know it later when she caught me flicking a new knife while watching tv.

wife: "You got a new knife?"
    Me: Nope! It's a month old..:D

5. highestpoint

highestpoint Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2014
    When I was single, I would have all the bills paid and spend my money how I wanted. I would usually buy a new knife every month, a BM or Spydie or something in the 100-150 range as I was new to the knife scene. I didn't want to have something expensive and use it and not be able to sharpen. Learned to sharpen and then started getting more expensive.

Then got married and continued to buy, but I would "justify" the buy by only making a purchase on heavily discounted items and would just ask for forgiveness instead of permission. Just had a baby girl a week ago and have since decided not to buy any knives or material buys unless it was for the family. Probably just looking forward to having my wife buy them for a holiday, etc. from now on since I have enough folders to last a life time.. or so I think

The hardest part is convincing her which one to buy over another :D

6. kingkane32

kingkane32

Jul 4, 2014
    Or I just traded for this one...

7. kaotikross

kaotikross Banned BANNED

Nov 20, 2013
    Ugh. Been through this, also. And I'm always the "Bad Influence Friend", even if I ain't, because some of em do stuff and blame it on me, even if I'm nowhere around at the time. If Bob went to a strip joint, why it had to be me. He'd never just do that on his own. :p
    As to buying, we discuss anything over a hundred bucks. She buys way more stuff than me, I'm one knife/weapon/whatever a month, and sometimes I may go cheap, like "rough rider" cheap. Last month it was a CS Sjambok. Maybe $25 with shipping. By comparison, she got four pairs of shoes, a purse, and God knows what else. Oh, and a new Kindle. She also got that. So the $100 thing generally works out in my favor.

Also: Opinion of CS Sjambock: "meh". make it "more whippy", or make it more rod-like, it's not great at being both.

8. mrnotsam123

mrnotsam123

Aug 4, 2013
    My wife and I have agreed (with some objection from me) that if I'm trading then it's fine but if I plan on buying something fancy and $$$$ then I have to talk to her beforehand. I think it's fair. I know she isn't trying to be controlling or anything and she's never mean about it and we both discuss purchases with each other, rarely do we ever say no to each other. She just wants us to save money while we're young. Alternatively though this new system has helped me in buying less knives and discovering they weren't the end all be all I thought they were, so I'm a little more careful now.

9. Cursum Perficio

Cursum Perficio Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2012
    All she needs to know is it's a 'tool' bought for my second job, and therefore tax deductible.

10. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Smart lady! My wife knows that I've had an out of hand month when I'm done with the arm hair and am missing patches of hair on my thigh!

11. VermontEdge

VermontEdge

Jun 10, 2015
    My wife and I have all of our accounts and money intertwined, so there's no "this is your money, this is my money" kind of mentality. Typically, if we're making a purchase, we ask each other or at least tell each other. If it's a bigger purchase sometimes one of us will ask the other to hold off until payday or something.

Regardless of the arrangement, I have to say that I'm fortunate enough to have a wife that's supportive of the knife thing. I have some money squirreled away and I've been obsessing over a few Spydies and haven't been able to make a decision. Last night, at our anniversary dinner, she suggested that I keep saving and pick up a Strider or Sebenza instead of spending everything now. Now that is love!

12. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker

Feb 28, 2011
    Both of us are bloody practical where budget is concerned, so there's a lot of trust on discretionary spending. I neither hide nor announce when I buy something new unless I'm particularly excited about it or, in the case of some knives, concerned she'll steal it (though she seems to have recently contented herself with my Izula 2).

13. clearkevin

clearkevin

Oct 7, 2014
    I never hide purchases usually I'm too excited and have to tell her right away. If it's not immediately then I still tell her the next time I see her. She usually listens without rolling eyes too much and gives the expected "That's nice honey"

14. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    Loop Cutter, some years back, I was at home when my wife got in from work. Her first question was a request to see the new knife that I had gotten that day. I was taken aback, and asked her why she would ask me that.
    She laughed, and pointed to the bandaid on my left thumb. She said everytime I get a new one, I cut myself, and.................................

the wives take in a lot more data than we sometimes give them credit form.

15. (jeff)

(jeff)

Jul 26, 2006
    My wife likes knives so i don't have this problem.

16. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Don't feed the Trolls Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I might have to let her have first dibs on the knife, or get something new and stabby for her at the same time, but I'm lucky that my wife is all over new knives, swords, firearms. I'm gonna keep her.

17. jasonbroni

jasonbroni

Dec 10, 2009
    I told her my small 21 was a $10 crapo knife!

18. jx2

jx2

Sep 25, 2014
    I've been buying, selling, and trading high end guitars and amps since we've been together (16 years). I honestly think she's really happy I've been doing knives, lately. :D

19. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    My girlfriend notices when my arm hair is missing. She knows it means I sharpened recently.

She is actually starting to like learning about knives, I think.

20. exmaxima

exmaxima

Jan 30, 2006
    Been married many years and the kids are moved out. We buy many of our own gifts for Xmas/birthday, so when that time comes around I hand my wife my new knife and have her wrap it up. Obviously that knife is not always brand new at that point, but it works for me...