Does better half know you bought a new blade?

I don't even try to sneak it passed her. I learned years ago in the Army----It is easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Being single, I don't have to "come clean" to anyone, but I do have several friends and family members who roll their eyes when they see "the ravening hoard" as my niece calls them. Since I always have a table covered with knives, swords and bayonets undergoing cleaning, maintenance, oiling etc, it's easy to "hide in plain sight" any new purchases.

Not at the moment, been married two months as of tomorrow. I either have it sent to my office or now with our new place home. I work M-F 9-5 she S-T 3-11, so she isn't home when the mailman and UPS/FedEx drivers come. I told her about a few purchases, but I haven't bought much in a while. I got my Southern Grind Spider Monkey as a wedding present to myself and she was ok with that, especially since she's a big Zac Brown fan. She also is ok with the custom I'm having made, because of the reason for having it made. She was pleasantly surprised when I told her what the cost estimate was today, at $900-$1000. She had expected $2500.

She has no idea I bought a Sebenza on Friday though, or that I'm selling it. Her rule is, I can have ten folders (not including my Lionsteel Opera suit knife) max. If you buy one you have to sell one. She got me a ten knife nylon case for my folders for Christmas hint hint.

She buys stuff all the time and doesn't tell me, but its usually cheap. I know she's buying it when its on amazon as I have the prime account, though her debit card and name are on it to, I get the confirmation email.

Not at the moment, been married two months as of tomorrow. I either have it sent to my office or now with our new place home. I work M-F 9-5 she S-T 3-11, so she isn't home when the mailman and UPS/FedEx drivers come. I told her about a few purchases, but I haven't bought much in a while. I got my Southern Grind Spider Monkey as a wedding present to myself and she was ok with that, especially since she's a big Zac Brown fan. She also is ok with the custom I'm having made, because of the reason for having it made. She was pleasantly surprised when I told her what the cost estimate was today, at $900-$1000. She had expected $2500.

She has no idea I bought a Sebenza on Friday though, or that I'm selling it. Her rule is, I can have ten folders (not including my Lionsteel Opera suit knife) max. If you buy one you have to sell one. She got me a ten knife nylon case for my folders for Christmas hint hint.

She buys stuff all the time and doesn't tell me, but its usually cheap. I know she's buying it when its on amazon as I have the prime account, though her debit card and name are on it to, I get the confirmation email.

This works well for me too. Except I have a 20-knife case that I am limited to. So if there's something new coming in that means I have to sell.

Hell yeah! She even rode all over town on my mission to find something interesting. She's a sweet heart <3

She didn't hassle me for buying a $17,000 engine for the hotrod so she's definitely not going to worry about a $150 knife!

Separate checking accounts, trust and responsibility goes a long way. No explanations are asked for, nor given. My wife buys what she wants and I buy what I want, it's a nonissue.

Same here. The separate checking accounts gives us both a lot of freedom that we wouldn't have otherwise and I can only imagine how many arguments it has saved us. We both want each other to be able to buy something if it's something we really want and we both feel that if we can't have at least some of the things we want then why do we go to work every friggin' day.

On another note, my wife is the one who got me back into knife collecting after a 23 year break from it. She wanted a Swiss Army knife for Christmas in 2006 and shopping around for that knife is what rekindled my interest. It's all her fault anyway. :D

Of course I tell her. It would not be right for me not to say anything. I also expect her to tell me about her purchases.

Besides, it's fun to watch my lovely wife's green eyes glazed over when I start talking about blades and such.

My wife doesn't have much interest in what I buy. She manages to see most of them because they get delivered to our house. I don't spend a lot because I'm pretty frugal and she also knows how many I have been selling lately because I get her help to mail the packages. I'm not buying nearly as may as what I've sold so I'm not worried.

We have the same credit card account, and she does our billing. I don't necessarily tell her when i buy a knife, but I don't make it a secret either. if sees a charge and asks "hey honey, what's $85 to theknifeconnection.com?" I'll openly say, "new knife." the typical response is, "enjoy it!" and that's that. No big deal at all. She trusts me implicitly not to overspend and I feel the same about her, so we don't monitor each others' spending, but we also don't hide things. When there's something we want and we can afford it, we go for it. It's that simple.

No need to. Whenever my wife has an issue with it I just add up what she spends on coffee that month. Those lattes are killing her. Lol

Last knife I bought was for my girlfriend, she seems to like knives and doesn't really own any. And she was quite happy when I gave it to her. Something tells me my knife collection will end up being "our" knife collection if I manage to marry her. And considering the fact that I don't like spending too much on things, especially knives. I don't see this as a big concern as after the $20 mark it starts getting out of my comfort zone even though I own knives in the $50-100 range it's quite rare for that to happen. Helps that Rough Rider is one of my favorite brands too.

I have a money jar I call my "Knife Fund." I put my change into it at the end of every day (it's nice our change goes up to 5 bucks), and I buy what I want from there, no questions asked. If I want to buy something from the bank account, I talk to my wife first....

Unless it's a cheap, impulse buy. Then I tell her after. She usually just rolls her eyes ;)

Sometimes she notices. Sometimes she doesn't. She knows when I sell a firearm though because I give her that cash. I'd do the same with knives excepting I don't sell them. I just give them away.

I've provided us a good life, got her and the three kids through college, and have our future covered. I'm now at a station in life, I can more easily/readily spend these days, and she isn't worried about me frittering away our lifestyle or future away.

Been married many years and the kids are moved out. We buy many of our own gifts for Xmas/birthday, so when that time comes around I hand my wife my new knife and have her wrap it up. Obviously that knife is not always brand new at that point, but it works for me...
We're at the stage that if we want something we can just buy it, so we don't buy each other gifts excepting at Christmas and then we have a rule - only $25. It is TOUGH finding something thoughtful for $25, but that's the point.

Last edited:
My wife knows, as she is usually home when mail/UPS/FedEx arrives. This is because we have a new baby, so I'm trying to be a bit more responsible with my spending. She also handles most of the finances, which is a mixed bag overall, but she (supposedly) doesn't check every credit card transaction to see how much I spent and where I spent it. I do have a "fun fund" that I draw from for most knife, gun and related purchases. Last month, I bought three knives, while this month I bought some ammo, but I'm also selling a gun, so it works out.

Our money, credit cards, etc is intertwined so there can be no secrets, but at the the same time I buy what I want and she can do the same, we do not need to discuss, as long as the bills are paid and some money goes into savings` for later, we are cool. Some large purchases are talked about some are not, for example she hates buying cars, so if is going to be her car we do it together if it is my car then they just show up in the driveway. It has worked this way for over 35 years, cannot imagine it changing soon.

Going on 22 years now, but one thing I learned about her years ago was really frightening.... When mad at me, she would go "spite shopping". Not for anything really needed or wanted. Just for something to do out of the house. Since we got that "little" problem reeled in, she may comment about my purchases, but knows she can't do a dang thang about it. ;)

Back