Does Browning make their oun knives, or contract it out?

Friend asked me about Browning knives today. I honestly know nothing about them. So my first question is whether they make their oun knives or not.

They contract them out.

depends on what models but most of the time I believe its Taylor cutlery, however the Browning Icestorm (?) in VG-10 is Mcusta

depends on what models but most of the time I believe its Taylor cutlery, however the Browning Icestorm (?) in VG-10 is Mcusta

The Ice Storm is long gone, but there is a current Browning knife model (the Tactical Hunter) in VG-10. Don't know who makes it, though.

No idea but if its VG-10 its someone in japan as VG-10 is a proprietary steel, maybe seki-cut?

just checked it out, not a bad design, but doesnt look like something seki-cut would produce, sadly no idea, sorry

On a whim i bough and just received 2 Browning knives, Browning Tactical Hunter Model 504 in g10. Blade is labeled VG-10 Japan Steel near the spine with China near the choil. and Obsession Model 712 in 12c27 china construction.

quick review on Browning Tactical Hunter Model 504 , it came shaving sharp and did fine paper push cuts through the jury duty letter i also recieved in the mail lol. Blade has nice thickness to tip. No flaws in construction the g10 and bolsters are flush with frame no stipped torx screws. Open construction,full liners don't know exacts feels light maybe 3oz. No blade play, lockup is quick and tight. Liner lock does seem kinda tight and is causing closed centering to off but is not touching liners. No visible pivot adjust perhaps under bolster. Ergos are good it fits well in hand the flipper provides a guard. There is jimping on the spine however it does not run long enough to be effective. Thumbstuds are kinda rough, the flipper is kinda long. Tipdown righty only carry flipper may be hazard though in pocket. All in all $38 for a nice 3.25 vg10 blade.

Obsession Model 712 .. again sharp and good construction. Heavier with SS and wood handle has full liners and open pillar. Both knives are under 4.5in closed the VG10 hunter blade is thicker and wider with flipper. Good in hand but again noneffective jimping. Tipdown righty only but is deep carry. lanyard hole looks small for paracord. $19 this would make a good stocking stuffer. Model 712 is black with wood insert but is also offered in fully polished ss with g10 and a 2 blade model with guthook

thanks for the reviews, im surprised the 504 is marked china and has VG-10, I didnt think takefu cutlery allowed the steel outside of japan for production that is.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to know who made the USA manufactured Browning Sportsmans Knives fromt the 70's and 80's. Does anyone know that?

Pics of an example

040-1.jpg

035.jpg

I've always wanted to know who made the USA manufactured Browning Sportsmans Knives fromt the 70's and 80's. Does anyone know that?

Pics of an example

040-1.jpg

035.jpg

can we get some info on that knife? I really like the curvature of the handle and acute tip. almost like a more stream line 110

can we get some info on that knife? I really like the curvature of the handle and acute tip. almost like a more stream line 110

The pictured knife is a Browning 4018F from the 80's I believe. It has very similar dimensions to a Buck 110. The blade is supposedly 440C. I don't know too much about these Browning Sportsmans Knives (although I've owned several) however here's what I do know:

They are very nice, in general, with great fit/finish, ergos, aesthetics. The earlier ones are marked USA and are in higher demand than some of the later ones which are marked Japan. They all come in similar style black boxes, with VERY nice leather sheathes. Many of the sheathes say "Made in Mexico" and I wouldn't be surprised if they are hand made/tooled. There are a variety of models, both fixed and folding, but they all have similar wood handles, brass guards/pommels, and stainless blades. I sold the pictured knife for $75 but I've seen this model go for $100 and more, and at the $75 price point it sold within minutes.

For the life of me though, I've never been able to find much information about them, and I don't know who the USA manufacturer was.

On a whim i bough and just received 2 Browning knives, Browning Tactical Hunter Model 504 in g10. Blade is labeled VG-10 Japan Steel near the spine with China near the choil. and Obsession Model 712 in 12c27 china construction.

Really? That's weird. I've seen some VG-10 chef's knives up on the 'Bay from Taiwan and China (or at least, claimed VG-10) but no folding knives from otherwise well known brands.

I collect mostly Case knives but recently came across a Browning USA stag handle fillet knife with leather sheath. The blade has Browning USA about mid point on the 7 inch blade. The tang has Browning USA stamped on it. I am trying to find out wether this knife was made in USA? Thanks

The pictured knife is a Browning 4018F from the 80's I believe.

They may have been made into the 80's but I carried one of those (or it's close predecessor) when I was a student in Gainesville at UF back in the early 70's. Bought it down in the east end at Gator Outdoorsman. I don't know what the blade steel was. The guy at Gator told me it was a version of 440 but not 440C like Buck used in their 110. I bought the Browning because it was a bit cheaper than the 110 and I was a poor college student who also had a bow and a Ruger Security-Six on his shopping list.

Pics of an example

040-1.jpg

035.jpg

I have one of these as well. Picked it up at a pawn shop for ten bucks. :thumbup:

Back