Does Browning make their oun knives, or contract it out?

I've always wanted to know who made the USA manufactured Browning Sportsmans Knives fromt the 70's and 80's. Does anyone know that?

It may have been Schrade-Walden at some point.

As I recall they made several promotional Old Timer runs for Browning with the S.-W. Deerslayer (15 OT) and Sharpfinger (152[?] OT) models.

I collect mostly Case knives but recently came across a Browning USA stag handle fillet knife with leather sheath. The blade has Browning USA about mid point on the 7 inch blade. The tang has Browning USA stamped on it. I am trying to find out wether this knife was made in USA? Thanks

*** speculation ***

I've always wanted to know who made the USA manufactured Browning Sportsmans Knives fromt the 70's and 80's. Does anyone know that?

Pics of an example

040-1.jpg

035.jpg

I was of the understanding that Browning Sportsmans Knives as far as I can recall were all made in Japan in 440c, which later turned out to be Aus8. They were made by Ichiro Hattori of Seki. He is still making at least 2 former Browning models under the Hattori label but now using VG10, ATS-34 and Cowry-X Damascus.

Here is my USA Browning I got as a gift in the late 1970's. It was lost at my parents house and my Dad found it a few years ago.

P1010985.jpg

They may have been made into the 80's but I carried one of those (or it's close predecessor) when I was a student in Gainesville at UF back in the early 70's. Bought it down in the east end at Gator Outdoorsman. I don't know what the blade steel was. The guy at Gator told me it was a version of 440 but not 440C like Buck used in their 110. I bought the Browning because it was a bit cheaper than the 110 and I was a poor college student who also had a bow and a Ruger Security-Six on his shopping list.

Browning were calling it "440" back then but may years later somewhere they admitted
that it was Aus8a. SOG were calling their knives "440a" but years later they said itwas Aus6A.
U.S. knife companies that had their knives made in Seki with Japanese steels used the "440" designation
more familar to American buyers.

Back