Does Rowen make some of Utica Cutlery's knives?

VognxW15SkKOECShMyuj_AI7B7909-copy-pc.jpg

This looks very ESSEE like. And its 1095.

No Rowen does not make knives for Utica.

Utica has been around long before Rowen ever existed.

I know there used to be an Utica Cutlery - I assumed the current company is owned by someone who bought the rights to the name. I've got some old Uticas myself.

Only from the picture, I would assume Rowen did not produce that knife.

If you have any reliable information about Utica on what you said above, I am all ears. But otherwise I'll stick to what is said by them in the link below.

http://www.uticacutlery.com/about-us/
I agree
Not sure where Esse comes from, Utica proudly stands on its own. 100+ years. That is monumental
Survival Series
Special Purpose Knives

utica_cc_logoutk.jpg
qd_empty.png
qd_empty.png
qd_empty.png

Utica Cutlery Company is proud to introduce our UTK Warranted fixed blade knives.

All three models are manufactured in Utica, NY using the finest of components.

BLADES: All blades are made from high carbon 1095 steel heat treated to 58 to 59 RC with a tough powder coated finish applied. 1095 is the steel of choice for harsh use in the field, on the trail, or anywhere your adventure may take you.

HANDLES: Handles are made from black canvas Micarta.

BOLSTERS: Bolsters are 2 shot molded micarta with an anti slip texture.

SHEALTH: friction fit/molded. Remove knife by gripping handle and placing thumb on fire starter cap. The sheath can be worn vertically or horizontally. Fire starter and sharpener are integrated into the sheath

About Us

The Utica Cutlery Company was founded in 1910 by a group of prominent Utica businessmen. It was felt that a metal working industry would create employment and bring economic balance to the area. The primary industry in Utica at the time was textile manufacturing.

The original location for the company was 820 Noyes Street. Through the years, several major additions were made to the building, but the address remains the same. The current size of the factory and office is approximately 100,000 square feet.

The company has continuously manufactured pocket knives since 1910. In 1918, fixed blade kitchen cutlery was added. During World War II, the company manufactured bayonets and carbine parts and earned UTICA the coveted Army-Navy E., as well as a number of other awards.

Stainless flatware was added to the line in 1952 and has been continuously manufactured and marketed by the company since that time. The flatware program was substantially enhanced during the "mid-seventies" with the addition of imported flatware. This broadened the line by adding a number of new qualities and price points.

In 1970, the company acquired the Walco Stainless Division of Voos Industries. WALCO is a major player in the hotel/restaurant industry and provides an entire array to the institutional market. WALCO is an independent division of the Utica Cutlery Company serving the institutional market

The honest answer is nobody knows. People have tried to figure out how much actual full blown manufacture goes on there vs. marketing, final finish work, warehousing, etc.... And Utica isn't talking. They still do control a massive factory space though.

The honest answer is nobody knows. People have tried to figure out how much actual full blown manufacture goes on there vs. marketing, final finish work, warehousing, etc.... And Utica isn't talking. They still do control a massive factory space though.
Its pretty obvious. Lol

From their website.

All three models are manufactured in Utica, NY using the finest of components

Great. I'm glad they are really still around. So many of the old-time knife companies have disappeared. I'll look into buying one of their new knives.

Not sure either way, but I have some of this "Survival" line, and they are solid, well made knives. I'd put one up against my comparable size ESEEs anytime.

I was really glad to see the current run of Utica's blades and find they still use 1095 on a lot of their knives. All of my kitchen knives are currently 1095 and I'll never go back to stainless. Really great steel for a knife in my experience. You can literally sharpen it with a rock in the field.

funny this thread popped up I was just looking at these knives yesterday. Seem similar to esee and look just as well made. I like their handle materials,too,prices seem reasonable.For around 70.00 you get a 4.5" blade knife with nice micarta handles, polished or black coated blade kydex sheath. not bad at all.....

Last edited:
I know this thread has aged a bit , but to verify 100% and to echo what was said above - they are manufactured fully in Utica ny- they also do flatware called Walco and I believe they make Klein stuff. They do have a patented multitool as well (check it out). There’s a reason why they don’t use a picture of the factory on the website and it’s because the old drawing is much more appealing that the “in reality” beat up old looking factory. I could upload a picture of it next time I drive by it- not much to look at. But I’m happy they are around. As a side note they are about 1 mile away from west end brewery- which makes utica club and saranac beer.

It's worth noting that just because a company makes a bunch of stuff themselves doesn't mean they don't possibly contract out for some products or components, depending on what strategically makes the most sense from their end. Regardless of if they're making the knife in the OP in house or not, whether in whole or in part, I think it can be plainly described as a derivative work. Same general blade shape/choil/plunge line/coating/large, shallow, rounded spine jimping as an ESEE-3 with the same general butt end shape as a de-horned ESEE-5. It's sort of like they took a couple of ESEE designs and mashed them together, then fancied up the handle a bit with some forefinger jimping and skeletonized scales. Not saying it's good or bad or passing any sort of judgment one way or the other, just saying it's very clear what it was based on.

Back