1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Dog Soldier 6 vs Alpha Dog 6

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by zmbhntr, May 8, 2019.

1. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2013
    I dont know if you can get a feel of the depth of this one. I've never tried to measure it but I'd bet the etch on this one is more than .020 deep. You can really catch the edges of the lettering with a fingernail.
    2018-01-29 09.41.18.jpg

2. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Midnight Blue Dog Soldier and Satin Alpha Dog

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  3. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    That's a NICE etch!

clampdaddy likes this.
  4. littlehoot

littlehoot Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Where do you guys get your etchant?

5. dogboye

Nov 23, 1999
    I got mine from Radio Shack. Now that they’re so scarce (gone?), I’m not sure where you would. If you’re on the west coast, maybe Fry’s? I don’t know if they are Midwest or east coast, though.

6. littlehoot

littlehoot Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Alabama, I may see if I can find it online

7. JACKMANDU

JACKMANDU Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Thanks for the comparison pic! Those look like they could be made from the same blade stock. One got a fuller, one got a swedge.

8. JACKMANDU

Feb 10, 2019
    Another comparison pic AF065689-AEF7-4B88-948D-BF707F0B2C15.jpeg
    Awesome combo! These dogs are definitely long lost brothers. Very similar yet very different.

9. JACKMANDU

Feb 10, 2019
    1F0BD555-94BF-42DE-B20B-F70C46E415F8.jpeg AD6 :thumbsup:

David Lennon and hydeinmind like this.
  10. jdheadrick21

jdheadrick21 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Crossing my fingers for an AD8!! That would be killer!

11. JACKMANDU

Feb 10, 2019
    Yessss! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

12. dogboye

Nov 23, 1999
    Well, my etching is done. Noticed after the last one that some of the coating came off, so if I try to etch any more, it will blot out part of “SYKCO.” Right between the Y and K. I could see then, though, that it is etched enough all the lettering should remain visible after stripping.
    I’m out of town now, though, so no stripping for a week. Plus, I got delivery notice from the PO as my plane taxied in after landing at my destination. My AD6 is available for pick-up. :mad:

Yeah, I’d jump on that. Especially since I missed the DS8 and the HOGB8.

JACKMANDU likes this.
  13. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    For sure!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

14. hydeinmind

hydeinmind Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Great pic! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

ETA: So, if you need to really cut on something, which one will you be reaching for most often?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  15. JACKMANDU

Feb 10, 2019
    I would think the AD6 will be a little slicier with its higher flat grind. DS6 would be better for batoning. These 2 will be going on my next camping trip, for the full test. I’m gonna slice some food in the kitchen soon. I think the Alpha might be the go to.

hydeinmind likes this.
  16. hydeinmind

hydeinmind Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Thanks for sharing pics and your comments sir! I just love what you’ve done with your DS6 too! Those two really look great together!

17. JACKMANDU

Feb 10, 2019
    Thanks man! I’m real happy with both.

18. JACKMANDU

Feb 10, 2019
    DS6 sanded to 1500 grit. 6A48FB75-AC9F-437B-BAFE-AEE83ED76E0D.jpeg 984BC93E-3DE5-484C-AD55-08E3FD947F59.jpeg 3C2E42FC-5353-4D10-8FFB-E3E9C9DAA2F9.jpeg
    After I did the dremel treatment from my previous post, I tested both dogs on a pineapple. They both cut great, but the DS6 was left stained. The AD6 was clean, no stains. So I decided to try to reach a satin finish on the DS6. After a LOT of hand sanding. This is what I achieved. The edge was pretty dull from all the sanding. The final step was a new convex edge from the Work Sharp (Ken Onion). It’s shaving sharp again. This was a very satisfying project. I love this INFI stuff! Oh and the DS8, I finally scored... arrives tomorrow ;)

19. MosesMcgregor

MosesMcgregor Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Anyone put an AD6 on the scale yet? (Don’t worry I did zero the scale out with the cardboard in place)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Readyeseve likes this.
  20. JACKMANDU

Feb 10, 2019