Dog soldier questions

I'm absolutely thrilled that I got a DS6 in my grab bag! I was hoping for a basic of some sort and I essentially got it. Other than the talon hole, is there any other difference between the basic Busse's and the Sykco DS series?

I'm thinking this will make an awesome user and am considering stripping the tanker gray off it. Is the lettering etched or just cut out of the paint? I only ask because it's black/dark lettering rather than seeing the infi underneath.

If anyone has a kydex they made or bought for it...can you please show a pic of the hilt/securing point? I want to mold my own but I want to see how yours wraps around to hold the knife in place. I suppose another route would be a snap further up the grip.

What's your experience been with your DS?

Thanks!

I'm absolutely thrilled that I got a DS6 in my grab bag! I was hoping for a basic of some sort and I essentially got it. Other than the talon hole, is there any other difference between the basic Busse's and the Sykco DS series?

I'm thinking this will make an awesome user and am considering stripping the tanker gray off it. Is the lettering etched or just cut out of the paint? I only ask because it's black/dark lettering rather than seeing the infi underneath.

If anyone has a kydex they made or bought for it...can you please show a pic of the hilt/securing point? I want to mold my own but I want to see how yours wraps around to hold the knife in place. I suppose another route would be a snap further up the grip.

What's your experience been with your DS?

Thanks!

LfINCUr.jpg

They ARE awesome users! So glad they got offered. If you strip it, etch the logo first if you don't want to lose it. I just etched and stripped my black-coated DS6 and I was worried that it might not etch well since 'infi' is in very small type, but it came out great. Also, the steel was finished really nice on mine, no gremlins underneath the coating. I don't believe I've got a picture of this one after the strip job, I'll see if I can remedy that.

On the sheath, I am no bender, but I've had a bunch of res-c handled blades and I can say for sure that they have great retention in kydex. I've carried a 711 many miles on a baldric with the handle downward because it draws fast. It's just not going to come out unless you give it an intentional direct pull. I don't think a snap is necessary unless you just want it. I'll see if I can find a picture of my 711 rig, it's a Mashed Cat.

ETA: Here's the 711 rig. Crappy pic, but you can see the design of the sheath.

5NIqXbll.jpg

Last edited:
Difference between the DS and Busse Basics? I don’t think there is much difference. Both INFI, both Res-C. Put a Busse logo on instead of SYKCO and it’s the same quality blade.

I bought some Kydex in Multicam, black and desert to fold my own sheaths as well. I think retention will be simple friction fit with the aggressive choil on the DS offering plenty of grab when molded over with Kydex. At that point it’s all about where you place rivets to close it up but still allow enough flex to release the knife when you want it out.

Or just Buy Brown since he’s got it figured out!

Difference between the DS and Busse Basics? I don’t think there is much difference. Both INFI, both Res-C. Put a Busse logo on instead of SYKCO and it’s the same quality blade.

I bought some Kydex in Multicam, black and desert to fold my own sheaths as well. I think retention will be simple friction fit with the aggressive choil on the DS offering plenty of grab when molded over with Kydex. At that point it’s all about where you place rivets to close it up but still allow enough flex to release the knife when you want it out.

Or just Buy Brown since he’s got it figured out!

Good to know that they are pretty much the same knife.

What I'd actually like to find is a sheet or two of booty cam for this and a few other knives. Haven't seen that in a while.

That's true about the choil/grab. I was thinking the hilt that protrudes. Unlike the Mashed Cats (which I do own as well), I just fold my kydex over from one piece.

Thanks

They ARE awesome users! So glad they got offered. If you strip it, etch the logo first if you don't want to lose it. I just etched and stripped my black-coated DS6 and I was worried that it might not etch well since 'infi' is in very small type, but it came out great. Also, the steel was finished really nice on mine, no gremlins underneath the coating. I don't believe I've got a picture of this one after the strip job, I'll see if I can remedy that.

On the sheath, I am no bender, but I've had a bunch of res-c handled blades and I can say for sure that they have great retention in kydex. I've carried a 711 many miles on a baldric with the handle downward because it draws fast. It's just not going to come out unless you give it an intentional direct pull. I don't think a snap is necessary unless you just want it. I'll see if I can find a picture of my 711 rig, it's a Mashed Cat.

Cool, thanks for the pics and info.

DS are saber ground (w/fuller, obviously). Basics are full flat, other than the BB13. So the primary blade grind on DS is more obtuse, i.e. somewhat less ”slicey” than the Basics. Probably not a noticeable difference in field use to most people. The over-wide ricasso on recent Basics (since 2010), causes the index and middle finger to splay when using the choil to choke up. Some find the DS design in that area more comfy, because it keeps your fingers closer together when choking up.

DS are saber ground (w/fuller, obviously). Basics are full flat, other than the BB13. So the primary blade grind on DS is more obtuse, i.e. somewhat less ”slicey” than the Basics. Probably not a noticeable difference in field use to most people. The over-wide ricasso on recent Basics (since 2010), causes the index and middle finger to splay when using the choil to choke up. Some find the DS design in that area more comfy, because it keeps your fingers closer together when choking up.

I didn't even notice the grind difference. It would make sense it's less of a slicer.

LfINCUr.jpg

5NIqXbll.jpg

That is a nioce rig man! Did you do the rest of it yourself? Besides the sheath I mean, which I have already. Only asking cuz I think I might need one for my DS! ;):thumbsup:

That is a nioce rig man! Did you do the rest of it yourself? Besides the sheath I mean, which I have already. Only asking cuz I think I might need one for my DS! ;):thumbsup:

Thank you! Yes I just pieced that kit together. The dark cylindrical container is from countycomm and it's full of petroleum jelly cottonballs, the orange exotac contains strike anywhere matches, and then there's a bic lighter, gobspark Armageddon firesteel, a few stormproof matches, fatwood, fatwood dust in the plastic bag, and regular cottonballs to tuck it all in nice and tight. I think the box itself is a small Pelican brand box.

That sheath is just something I had laying around, not even sure of what knife it is actually for. But it happened to fit the DS6 like it was made for it, so I haven't bothered getting a kydex rig built yet.

Thank you! Yes I just pieced that kit together. The dark cylindrical container is from countycomm and it's full of petroleum jelly cottonballs, the orange exotac contains strike anywhere matches, and then there's a bic lighter, gobspark Armageddon firesteel, a few stormproof matches, fatwood, fatwood dust in the plastic bag, and regular cottonballs to tuck it all in nice and tight. I think the box itself is a small Pelican brand box.

That sheath is just something I had laying around, not even sure of what knife it is actually for. But it happened to fit the DS6 like it was made for it, so I haven't bothered getting a kydex rig built yet.

Thanks for the run down sir I really love your whole set up! :):thumbsup::thumbsup: Thinking about trying to carry a DS like that myself.

DS is a rather good user.And it’s said that Basic lines are made of Minfi.So the INFI DogSoldier may out perform the Basics at the same size.Besides,Dog soldier doesn’t have talon hole which used for adding D guard if you gonner battle with it.So DS is a pure utility and Basic line could be a tool and a weapon .

In other words, you could be buried at the bottom of the ocean and you're roasting weenies tonight!! :D

I love redundancy.

DS is a rather good user.And it’s said that Basic lines are made of Minfi.So the INFI DogSoldier may out perform the Basics at the same size.Besides,Dog soldier doesn’t have talon hole which used for adding D guard if you gonner battle with it.So DS is a pure utility and Basic line could be a tool and a weapon .

Every Basic since 2010 including the Basic 4, 6, 8, 10, 11 and 13 are INFI. The Basic 3, 5, 7 and 9, made in the late 1990’s, were M-INFI. There’s a reason they called that steel M (for “modified”)-INFI. It’s not that it wasn’t INFI—it was. It’s just the only iteration of INFI that was ever called “modified” (for marketing purposes to sell the early Basic line at a more affordable price point). The fact is that a number of iterations of INFI since the first batch have had minor modifications either to chemistry or heat treat.

I’ve owned and used every Basic except the Basic 3, and I’ve never found a noticeable difference between Basics with M-INFI or with INFI or between Basic and standard INFI blades, other than differences in design and geometry.

The truth?
ALL INFI IS “M-INFI”.

Last edited:
Every Basic since 2010 including the Basic 4, 6, 8, 10, 11 and 13 are INFI. The Basic 3, 5, 7 and 9, made in the late 1990’s, were M-INFI. There’s a reason they called that steel M (for “modified”)-INFI. It’s not that it wasn’t INFI—it was. It’s just the only iteration of INFI that was ever called “modified” (for marketing purposes to sell the early Basic line at a more affordable price point). The fact is that many iterations of INFI since the first batch have had modifications either to chemistry or heat treat.

I’ve owned and used every Basic except the Basic 3, and I’ve never found a noticeable difference between Basics with M-INFI or with INFI or between Basic and standard INFI blades, other than differences in design and geometry.

The truth?
ALL INFI IS M-INFI.
Wow,Thanks for the information.:)

View attachment 1052515 View attachment 1052516 View attachment 1052517

The DS6 & 8 are just about perfect ( in my opinion). Definitely a lot of bang for the buck. The only “improvement” I’d make would be a choil-less option.

That middle pic is the sheath I am trying to make. Last night I molded the kydex but I need to figure out how to add a drop strap. Might have to go over to kydexpro to figure out how to do the attachment point.

Definitely love this blade though!!

Thanks!

96924579-7E0D-4587-A91B-4BE4C564BEDC.jpeg A4C45687-C37A-4F0E-9BD8-A097071F65F4.jpeg

Here’s a few bad pictures of the attachment point. It’s a Mashed cat adjustable belt loop. Fairly simple, extremely effective. That particular sheath was made to perfection by David Brown.

That middle pic is the sheath I am trying to make. Last night I molded the kydex but I need to figure out how to add a drop strap. Might have to go over to kydexpro to figure out how to do the attachment point.

Definitely love this blade though!!

Thanks!

Back