Don Hanson’s new SlipTac. A modern Take on a Slippy.

660D851B-62DB-43E2-A1AF-25F7E910F926.jpeg A (not so) little backstory here.

Don Hanson is one of the finest, true bladesmiths alive in my opinion. He and I became friends almost 20 years ago. I once had a very nice collection of his work but sadly at one point had to sell all my knives when money became tight, and I got out of the hobby for many years while we struggled with money.

When I jumped back in a few years ago, I was only interested in modern folders, nothing forged or traditional, blasphemy I know , whereas in the past, I was mostly into high end forged Bowies, the old timers may remember. So I wasn’t really looking for knives from Don as he tends to make a more traditional knife.

But, one thing he does make that’s sort of a traditional, forged take on a modern folder is his beautiful “Scary-Tac” folder. Old school, forged Damascus and Hamon blades, made with top mastersmith craftsmanship. They did intrigue me.

However, I have also become interested in this fairly new niche that I believe Jim Burke started with his Rebel, ie. modern versions of traditional slip joints. Now, you have Burke, Stout, Blount, McGinnis, Rogers etc all making these and they can’t sell them fast enough, and I like them.

So, I wondered if Don might consider making his own version of a modern slippy. I found a version of his Scary Tac I liked a lot, and asked if he could make it to my design/specs, but, as a slippy. He said he’d have to put some thought into it as the overall design was meant for a liner lock. And, he had never really considered making such a knife. But the idea appealed to him.

Well after some testing, prototyping and modifications, he said it could work.

And, the rest is history, Hanstory.

The Hanson SlipTac, 3.35” forged W2 blade with an incredible Hamon and visible wootz-like grain structure. Thhe nicest (old ass™️) vintage westy micarta, Don’s own forged W pattern Damascus bolsters and backbar. Bronzed hardware and the coolest heat coloring of the titanium liners with symmetrical patterns.

I honestly couldn’t be happier and I’m so happy to have hooked up with Don again after all these years. A great maker, person and old friend.

3D01B190-ED4F-479B-A70D-46274DA204FE.jpeg 3BFB2BED-6F97-4AD2-AEA1-A36FEF40435A.jpeg 2FFF5738-0BA1-4A16-A37A-B5F5FA3D3B8F.jpeg E42F2D4C-DB45-4C37-90C5-3E2CB1878DAA.jpeg 3D01B190-ED4F-479B-A70D-46274DA204FE.jpeg8741F65B-011D-4C62-8D2F-7B96173D2CB1.jpeg 007B9D8D-990D-47ED-A2EA-1F056D62F4BC.jpeg E2557911-CCEB-408D-AEF8-8E85ABAF20E4.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s a great pattern—congrats! Love the vintage Westy and that “bookmarked” heat coloring is smokin’!:thumbsup:

Very evocative photography Megalobyte—good to see you here.:thumbsup:

That is a really beautiful take on a slipjoint! Don Hanson is an unbelievable talent and I enjoy looking at his work.

Ari!!!!!!! :D

Man, quite the score but you do have a knack for that.... ;)

That IS one of the finer slip-joints I've seen, the style is unmistakable DHIII, the materials are fantastic, and the build is off the charts!!!!!!!!!! :)

I'm fortunate to have a Scary-Tac and a Pirate....I can envision something similar to this in my future. :D

Back