Douglass Field-S Oil Lighter

2xCpeCX.jpg

This is a real self-indulgence, and arrived today. I’ve been a smoker for many years, but am switching to a vaporiser this week. Perversely, I bought myself a really over-the-top lighter to mark the event. Because stopping smoking doesn’t stop the need for a flame!

It’s made in Japan by the Tokyo Pipe Company, and is very reminiscent of WW1 trench lighters, except this has been machined beautifully.

With O-rings aplenty, this piece is supposedly waterproof and will hold the lighter fuel for around 12 months, without the evaporation you find with Zippo lighters, for example. There is a little compartment for a reserve fuel reservoir, and an even smaller one for a spare flint.

To use the lighter, the fluted casing is unscrewed clockwise, then this is reversed when you’re done. If you like the look of it but don’t want that palaver, they have a model called the Field-L, which can be used without first unlocking it. For wet conditions, which are all too common here in the UK, I opted for the S model.

One thing I’d mention, the main barrel heats up quickly, but not enough to bother me at all. Nobody needs a lighter like this, but if you enjoy such things, it’s a cracker!

Congrats buddy! This is a very nice lighter! I do not smoke but really like lighters! I own an L-model in stainless, works great! I also have an old Ronson from the 60s, very good lighter.

I ordered the Field S, the Field L and a Neo.

Customs opened my package, and only the Field L and Neo arrived to me. No paperwork. I’m slightly peeved.

The Field S I ordered was also brass...beautiful lighter you got, glad it arrived safely.

I ordered the Field S, the Field L and a Neo.

Customs opened my package, and only the Field L and Neo arrived to me. No paperwork. I’m slightly peeved.

The Field S I ordered was also brass...beautiful lighter you got, glad it arrived safely.
Man, that completely sucks... :(

Man, that completely sucks... :(

I know, right?! I was most interested in that one for my outdoor adventures. I guess someone needed it more than I.

However, the other two are interesting and work well. Only thing I can think is that maybe, maybe they shipped me a returned one that had been filled. Fuelled lighters are not able to be shipped over the border, iirc.
Customs usually sends paperwork that states it was removed though, and why. Nothing like that came.

I’ve contacted the business, but don’t really expect them to do anything for me. $100 down the drain.

Photo for happiness:
6B63FE50-40DF-48A1-A852-DDFD4076F4B3.jpeg

Edit to add: The business offered compensation...so that is pretty darn standup of them. Very impressed.

Last edited:
I know, right?! I was most interested in that one for my outdoor adventures. I guess someone needed it more than I.

However, the other two are interesting and work well. Only thing I can think is that maybe, maybe they shipped me a returned one that had been filled. Fuelled lighters are not able to be shipped over the border, iirc.
Customs usually sends paperwork that states it was removed though, and why. Nothing like that came.

I’ve contacted the business, but don’t really expect them to do anything for me. $100 down the drain.

Photo for happiness:
View attachment 1503487
I’m loving the sleeve on the Neo 3 :thumbsup:

Pilsner Pilsner

What are you using for fuel? Zippo/Ronson fluid? Or actual lamp oil?

Zippo/Ronson. Have you tried lamp oil? I have some for a storm lantern. Would be interested which works better.

I also used zippo/ronson oil.

I have lamp oil too...but it always burns dirty if the wick isn’t adjusted properly. I dont see an easy way to adjust the wick on the field lighter after filling.
Either way the lamp oil will burn dirtier, and i’m not sure if I want to light anything going into my lungs with it. Haha!!

I was curious to whether lamp oil would last longer...for outdoor fire lighting purposes. :)

That's really nice. Does it have seals? I'm about fed up of my zippo's. Even with a Pyrovault they still don't hold their fuel.
The weak spot in my opinion is the wick cover but I can fill it and a month later it's still full . The thing I like about oil lighters is they work in the cold .

It’s made in Japan by the Tokyo Pipe Company, and is very reminiscent of WW1 trench lighters, except this has been machined beautifully.

With O-rings aplenty, this piece is supposedly waterproof and will hold the lighter fuel for around 12 months, without the evaporation you find with Zippo lighters, for example. There is a little compartment for a reserve fuel reservoir, and an even smaller one for a spare flint.

The Douglass Field-S Lighter! We haven't heard about this one in four years. Thanks for posting!

It is of course a super deluxe version of the old IMCO Triplex Super 6700. IMCO designed a WW1 trench lighter for the Austro-Hungarian army and the 1936 Triplex Super 6700 was their final refinement on this old design: you could pull out the fuel tank and use it as a candle. It wasn't waterproof but it was pretty much windproof, and its cap that locked down over the wick pretty much stopped fuel evaporation. Great design! If you look, you'll see these in old European noir films and crime thrillers. It was their equivalent of the Zippo.

IMCO-2.jpg

I bought one from CountyComm for $4.95.

When IMCO went out of business in 2012, they had just finished moving production to China and their Chinese factory lived on. They used to sell a "Classics IMCO Triplex Super 6700" on Amazon and eBay. Long gone. But that factory is still in business, and you can buy their lighters on Ali Express dead cheap. They go through flints really fast, but they use Zippo flints which are easy to find.

And this isn't a problem now, but it will be in the future: do not take this or any other petrol lighter on a flight to or inside China. It sets off their bomb alarm, they have to do endless paperwork to document the incident, and the Chinese airport cops will make you wish you'd stayed at home!

Last edited:
Back