Dove Season

That 110 S90V is something to look at. It should be a solid performer. Where did that jewel come from, David?

Doc, it came from SK knives. Steve conducted a survey on the Forum and the winner was this model knife. He did a contract w/ Buck and they built them. The first short run had 30 knives which sold out in one day. The next run will be in Nov. and has 70 knives. You may can preorder now on his site for that run. DM

20170910_163846_1200x2540_1024x2167.jpg 20170910_141628_1600x1200.jpg
Mr. Martins pic....top is rotated and resized to upload ...lost a bit of the full width of the pic. bottom is the original pic resized only for upload max capacity...but you can see the whole width. still working on how to upload these as good as the originals i receive from Mr. Martin.

Last edited:
So David sent me a series of pictures to post as he is having trouble with posting pix right now (they moved the goal post). When I saw the pictures, I assumed that he was showing off his new knife, so I posted the pix on the Sunday Picture Show.
As it turns out, he was showing off one of his laying hens as it was being processed for the freezer (She was not the top layer). To cover the bases, I am reposting the sequence here. #1) Hen ready for processing, #2) Hen minus skin, and #3) Hen in 8 pieces for the freezer.IMG_2930.jpgIMG_2931.jpgIMG_2932.jpg

So David sent me a series of pictures to post as he is having trouble with posting pix right now (they moved the goal post). When I saw the pictures, I assumed that he was showing off his new knife, so I posted the pix on the Sunday Picture Show.
As it turns out, he was showing off one of his laying hens as it was being processed for the freezer (She was not the top layer). To cover the bases, I am reposting the sequence here. #1) Hen ready for processing, #2) Hen minus skin, and #3) Hen in 8 pieces for the freezer.View attachment 763424View attachment 763425View attachment 763426
for the farm life thread or this dove hunting thread? either way great pics and good eating.

Thank you Norm for your effort. Yes, it dissected all 12 pieces and ready to be bagged and put in the freezer. On the right hand side of the photo, those 4 cuts we use in soup with noodles. The main 8 cuts we grill or bake. I was very pleased the way this knife preformed. I highly recommend it. It cuts real aggressive and asks for more. No sissy toward dirty work. Then clean it up and it still looks classy. Thank you gents & SK. DM

from Mr. Martin.....

white wing and mourning doves and "ole blue" as its been dubed by Mr. Martin...20170910_162552_1600x1200.jpg

Thank you jb for posting this photo. This knife has been working well for me. I believe me and ole blue will share some adventures. DM

Ray, mine is the Light Twelve made around 1980-83, under the Japanese contract. Yours was likely made under the Belgium contract. Or Remington did a run under their own contract in the 30's. I still carry and shoot mine and it will drop a dove. Light recoil, fast swinging.
jbmonkey, thank you for posting this. Hope all is going well with you and your family. DM
My magnum is Japanese as well, 1998. Local shop has one of the Remington builds, been thinking about buying it but he's firm on price and about $50 above my buy point.

Ray, I think those from the Japanese contract were very well made Brownings. I shoot 2 3/4" magnum loads in my A5-- 1 5/8 oz. loads of buck
shot at coyotes. It saves my chickens. DM

David, I used to shoot 1 Buck, 4's, and 2's at coyotes if I could get them in range. More shot. My favorite dove, rabbit, grouse, etc. gun was an old double with 18" barrels. It was loud, but it was fast on those fast moving birds. When I condensed my firearms, I kept the Special Field as it could do double duty on game and as protection. It is fast handling, too. It will ruin a coyotes day, for sure.

For cleaning birds, I always liked a 303 and a 301 on rabbits and larger stuff like fox and raccoon.

David Martin David Martin
I know it's only been a few days, but so far how do you rank "ole blue" against some of the others you've used on the fowl?
Your BCCI barehead with S30V and your Millenium Trapper, for instance?

So far I'm digging mine but haven't used it for more than cutting braided fishing line and opening mail and packages to this point. I'm looking forward to trying it out on deer this season.

Pokt, there have been several out standing knives I've used on processing chickens. The BCCI 110 bareheaded w/ paperstone handles and s30v blade is one in the pack. Another one is a modified 103. It has good belly, a thick strong spine that allows me to push it thru bones and wide blade of 440C. With a comfortable handle. A real performer. Ole Blue is certainly in that group of top performers. One of the top 3 knives. I like how the canvas micarta gives a good grip even when hands are slippery. It cuts aggressive. And I think it will hold it's edge a long time. It's weight is 7.1 oz. which doesn't bother me.
My Millennium Trapper model 334 is not enough knife for these 8-9 lb. chickens. It works on broilers up to 4 lbs.. But is challenged with this size
bird. In a different format it would work better. DM

Rex-Goliath-Cab.jpg

s37773_2000x.jpg

Ok, thanks.
We had a cool front move through Thurs. night with rain. On Friday our doves moved south toward Mexico and warmer weather.
I've not seen the numbers I was seeing early in Sept.. Adios Amigo, DM

Back