Downfall of the 101?

First, I'm admittedly way late to the 101 party. I didn't even know this was a thing until a couple months ago. When I saw it, I thought it was a great idea. The 110 is so ergonomically fantastic that I figured that the fixed blade would allay the concerns some folks would have about gunking up a folder for tasks like game processing.

But now I see it is discontinued. Obviously it wasn't a market hit which I think is a shame.

I'm just curious why you all think it didn't stick? Too old school to get enough early traction to make sales?

Apologies if this has been covered. Did a search and didn't find much.

I liked it, but always questioned why the blade had a kick.

I'd reckon streamlined manufacturing. No need to change CNC programs and all the blanks can go to whichever end knife.

You're probably right, but never-the-less, it caught my eye every time I saw a photo of the knife.

For me the design and blade to handle ratio is fitting for a folding knife to accommodate the blade fitting into the handle but on a fixed blade I prefer a handle that’s not longer than is necessary and with a bit of a guard. I think if the handle were more like the 112 with the forward bolster having that choil, ie the it would have more balance and eye appeal but that’s just me.

Here’s a comparison of the 110, 117 and the 112. As you can see the 110 and 117 are the same overall length but the blade to handle ratio is much different. The 117 has a 4.5 inch blade with the handle the same length of the 112. BAAA2014-9CD6-4657-BAD5-C811C05F43BF.jpeg

Thanks. Interesting observations. I know a lot of folks are very attuned to the blade to handle ratio but I guess I've never been among them. For me, it's about the overall handling for the intended usage so I don't care if a knife has, say a short blade, so long as it feels good and performs.

It's funny how we all see things so uniquely to ourselves as now that I've started this thread I find myself fondling a 110 and honestly asking myself if I'd want in a fixed blade. Feels great but for me, maybe the handle weight is more than I'd like in a fixed blade. I'd never seriously contemplated it before.

Last edited:
The 110 was designed to be about as strong as a fixed blade. The 101 doesn't make sense to me but applaud Buck for building it.

As I give it real critical thought, I guess that's where I come down. At first in my mind it just seemed like such a no-brainer, but yeah, I see it now and agree.

So yeah about them awesome 102's... :D

The 101 might have been a success as a barehead lockback version of the 110?

I know Schrade (USA) made and BTI Schrade makes the 6OT, which is naught but a barehead version of the 7OT.

I suspect more than a few decided to just get the sheath and carry their 110 open?

When they first came out I gave it some consideration but I wanted to know how it carried before buying one so I left my 110 open and using a sheath from a old no name knife to fit. I tried it for handling, drawing and returning to the sheath and it felt awkward compared to my 117 and 192. I also noticed that when squatting down it tipped back and partially fell out. I think the handle weight and length made it out of balance for a regular sheath. The scout style sheath might elevate that problem because it is deeper set. After awhile I decided that the 110 is best suited for a folding lockback compact carry as originally designed.

I'm hoping someone knows the answer - What year was the 101 first made ? And when was it discontinued ?

Did a little research - please correct me if I am wrong:

First year 2016 - release around August.

First production runs were numbered.

First year listed in the Buck Catalog 2017.

Discontinued. The last year of production of the regular issued Buck 101 is 2019.

Special Release

February - made at the Buck Knives factory by Joe Houser. Only 24 made.
420HC Stainless Steel, Clip Blade, Maple burl wood handle, brass bolster, with ironwood and bloody jasper spacers. Fold over leather sheath. COA. Release date February 19, 2020.

I have also seen these same materials in a Possible, Maybe 1 Of 1 knife (both knives look the same) - the difference is the spine of the blade has file work. COA dated February 5, 2020.

Last edited:
Buck makes a lot of knives that I have no interest in and the Buck 101 was in that category for me. The Buck 110 itself is a compromise - a solid, high quality hunters knife in a folding/lock back design that can be carried comfortably on the hip in lieu of a fixed blade. To do that they had to have a robust knife that balances differently than a traditional fixed blade - you accept the compromises to obtain the convenience. If you are going to carry a fixed blade why not just choose a 100 series that gives you as much blade in a more ergonomic package? I just never saw the charm of a 110 remade as a fixed blade. OH

I think the 101 is just misunderstood. It was promoted as a fixed blade 110 so everyone is trying to replace their favorite "fixed blade" or their "folding hunter". Why can't it do it's own thing?

I use mine in the kitchen because I like the way it cuts food and it's easy to clean. It's pretty enough to pass as kitchen cutlery and it's easy to pack for grillin' trips.

Plus, it does all those other things well.

I'm sad to see it go :(

In sure Joe H and Buck will still put one custom out now and again.

Buck makes a lot of knives that I have no interest in and the Buck 101 was in that category for me. The Buck 110 itself is a compromise - a solid, high quality hunters knife in a folding/lock back design that can be carried comfortably on the hip in lieu of a fixed blade. To do that they had to have a robust knife that balances differently than a traditional fixed blade - you accept the compromises to obtain the convenience. If you are going to carry a fixed blade why not just choose a 100 series that gives you as much blade in a more ergonomic package? I just never saw the charm of a 110 remade as a fixed blade. OH

all of the above is true for me too. I couldn’t have said it any better. I’ll add one of the compromises if the 110 was no guard. The 101 should have had a single guard. It was a missed opportunity, IMHO.

I’m glad they did it and glad people liked it. I’m sure we will see it again.

Last edited:
RIP
BuckTomato110a.jpg

Back