Drawing The Line - Sebenza for EDC

I'm considering the purchase of my first Sebenza. Notice I said "first" as I've noted from reading around BF that this particular knife requires regular and ever increasing doses. I tried a search on my question, but found very little (unless it was buried, in which case providing me a thread to answer my question would be very helpful and appreciated).

I realize there are different levels of this knife, from the small plain to wood inlayed, damascus-bladed wonders. My question to those who carry a "Sebbie" is this......

What is the most extravagant Sebenza you presently use for EDC?
If it's a wood inlay or special graphic, I may ask you to email or post a pic, as I'm quite interested in seeing the level of wear it has experienced.

Thank you one & all, I appreciate your assistance.

edit - fixed some spelling & grammatical errors ;)

Well i carry a Small plain regulr at this time , i do however have a Small 2003 Woody on order and i can honestly say i will carry it every day and use it. All CRK knives are work horses and they are meant to be used, crk will refurb there knives for a small fee. So go for it any model you purchase will be awesome.

About the fanciest that I get to carry. . .a large regular and a large Classic. Had a LDC-9 and LDC-109 but didn't want to "damage" them ~ so they stayed under glass. Had the extreme hots for the Canadian Gold Coin Sebbie. . .but alas. . .when I reached out to touch ~ it was gone. :( But, I would have never carried it.

I do have an engraved Sebbie. Several years ago I picked up a used large plain. . .had it completely refurb'd. Once refurb'd. . .I sent it away to a engraver. It's awesome ! And under glass.

I really like the "new" wood inlayed Classic and the "new" leather inlayed Classic models. . .but I typically reserve that kind of moolah for customs. . .

Now. . .when CRK throws down some carbon fiber and tags the knife as a "Carbon Fiber Inlaid Large Classic Sebenza". . .then you'll see my happy a@# at the front of the line ! :D

Hey CRK. . .CARBON FIBER INLAID. . .hint * hint * nudge * nudge * wink * wink

Small plain's about as much as I can afford to use/potentially lose as EDC. I have a mint bronze/damascus woody small Seb. that'll never cut a thing, as well as a redwood burl numbered Mnandi that shares display case time with the aforementioned... The small plain is all I've ever wanted in a folder, and more.

Professor.

I currently own three large Sebenza's. They are as follows;

+ 2001 ironwood inlaid
+ 2001 bocote inlaid
+ Classic w/brown leather inlays

All three get carried. The ironwood was carried from June ( Blade Show ) until early December when I got the Classic. The ironwwod inlaid still looks near mint. The leather inlaid has been my regular carry except for a few days when I switch off for a woodie. It, the leather, still looks near mint. I attribute this to carrying the sebbie in my right front pocket, ALL ALONE! I also don't have to use it daily for cutting chores, and most of my cutting chores consist of paper, tape, and some cardboard. Another thing that protects the titanium finish is the finish. The beadblast seems to pick up the least little blemish when just touched by another hard object. The satin finish of the woodies seems to be tougher......nothing scientific, just my observations.

I have a large Classic with wood inlays on order from CRK and hope to have it in the next little bit. It to will be carried. Might send the two regular woodies back for a refinishing ( I guess the woodies can be refinished?) and a swedge on the blades when the Classic arrives. :D :cool:

Thank you one & all for the posts thus far. This is exactly the type of input I am looking for.

I hope you don't mind, but I would like to take a moment to publicly congratulate & thank the Professor for being the second person (Stagger Lee was 1st) on BF to pick up on and comment about my screen name & avatar in a unique way. Only a few heads would know! I appreciate the subject line Prof - thank you! Put a big smile on my face. Not sure if you knew this Prof, and it's kinda' coincidental, but one of the missing verses to that tune (as Hunter originally wrote it) is "Ivory Wheels/Rosewood Track", and here we are talking about inlay materials & such for sebbies!

I now return us to the intent of this thread and thank you all for allowing me this "flashback", er, I mean sidebar.
Stay in touch Prof ;) :D.

Edit for TALLPAUL: I should have clicked your link before typing my response. You've been blessed with a beautiful knife. What is the cabochon in it?

T-Flyer,

I've played improvisational blues/jazz lead guitar for 20 years, and Jerry was/is still in his absence my biggest, most inspirational influence. I hope he's playing in Heaven's all star band as we speak.

-----------------------

I think you'll find opinions will vary immensely on what people will allow themselves to carry. As much as I'd love to have that bronze damascus woody in my pocket, it just looks so good in the display case next to that damascus/mokume Terzoula ATCF and custom BM Balisongs! ;)

And honestly, I'm afraid I'd severely booger-up the wood on a woody!

Professor.

Originally posted by Terrapin Flyer

Edit for TALLPAUL: I should have clicked your link before typing my response. You've been blessed with a beautiful knife. What is the cabochon in it?

The Calvary Sebenza has and comes with a red (of course) garnet almandine stone....

I've been out of the loop for a while and missed some of these great postings on the forum. Hello fellow Michigander!

I carry a small classic MM with silver contrast design, pearl cabochon, double thumb lug and high polished blade daily. Some small scratches on the clip side(on the clip), but that's all. I also have a large regular wood inlayed with California Buckeye burl. I used it quite heavely for dressing game and kitchen use. It is a 2000 version. I made the mistake of washing it with warm water. A no-no, and the wood on the front shrank a little. I talked with Chris on the phone and he had me send it in for wood replacement. Quite nice of him. I'm also having one of the new SS Damascus blades installed on it. Can't wait.

Which ever you choose, you will be more than thrilled with the performance and looks. Have fun deciding!;)

I received my large redwood burl inlay last June and have been carrying it in my right front pocket, along with coins, keys, and a very small flashlight, since.

I can't send you a photo, but it still looks very good. I don't scrutinize it on a regular basis but I haven't noticed any marks, scratches etc.

Sharpest knife I have ever owned.

I hate hippie dopers, but I always did like terrapin station. Some other great songs on that album.

JC

Just for the record....

I believe you would be hard pressed to find too many "hippie dopers" on BF, but I could be wrong ;). I also believe that if you were to meet me, or any of the Deadheads on this forum, it would be difficult to classify us as "hippie dopers". Many of the folks that enjoy the Dead's music are successful, upstanding, "normal looking" citizens. Some of us even like guns, carry & collect knives (MT Tachyon strapped to side now as I type), and espouse some conservative viewpoints (along with some liberal ones just to stay balanced).

Glad you like Terrapin....some great music.

BTW, what Sebenza do you carry?

On Topic; fanciest Sebenza I carry and use is a Silver Contrast graphic.

Off Topic; I like some Country Music, but I never cared for the Dead much. The Man In Black was more my style...

I carried a small Regular for a while before I traded it. Now I carry an arrow graphic Umfaan.
Matt

I have been carrying a large for a few weeks on and off, and just purchased a small which I will probably end up carrying every day. Waiting for that to arrive patiently... I got a sweet deal though.

JC

I currently carry and use all of my Sebs.

Currently a Small Wood Inlay, Small LDC and an Umfaan, with a Large Classic Wood Inlay that will arrive tomorrow from the kind folks at AZCK (USPS willing).

I've always loved the Classics and have been holding out for the right Large Wood Inlay, found this one in Madagascar Rosewood :D

Originally posted by Terrapin Flyer
What is the most extravagant Sebenza you presently use for EDC?

I have been carrying and using my flat grind, large Sebenza all week. I carry a small plain everyday. I have a small woodie on order and will carry and use it also.

I don't have a single EDC. Most days, I carry either a plain small Sebenza or a redwood burl inlay small Sebbie. When I'm in slacks, I'll usually carry an ebony inlay Mnandi or a snakewood inlay Damascus Mnandi. And for dressy occasions, I carry a David Broadwell custom made entirely from Mike Norris's stainless Damascus.

There's no need to post pictures, since most of them look like new. (The plain Sebbie has a few scuffs on the slabs from dropping it and banging it around, but nothing major--just beauty marks.)

You're unlikely to damage one of Reeve's knives, unless you're deliberately abusing it (or failing to properly care for the Damascus). Short of that, there's little need for concern. If, even knowing that, you're still too worried to carry one, then go buy yourself something you won't mind destroying.

It's odd that someone will spend $500 on a knife, yet be afraid to cut open a can with it. Or spend $800 on a set of All-Clad cookware, and be afraid to put it in the dishwasher. Or spend $100K on a Hummer, and then come to a complete stop before slowly easing over a speed bump. But I guess that's the way some people's minds work. Reeve has repeatedly assured his customers that his knives are meant to be used. Use them.

ldsdfw

Back