• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

EBay "FreeShipping.Com"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought something on EBay recently and a "POP-UP" sent me to a service called "FreeShipping.Com"? I couldn't figure out if there was a cost (hidden or otherwise). Has anyone use it and it worth the cost or effort? Thanks

If it's true then how do they make money and stay in business? If it's not true then what other lies are they telling you?

Run!

No such thing as "free." Someone pays.

December 07, 2011 10:03 am • Times Bureau(1) Comments
DES MOINES — Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller announced Wednesday that the company that owns freeshipping.com will stop selling memberships to Iowans and will pay $154,126 for full or partial refunds to Iowa consumers after Miller accused the company of violating the Iowa Consumer Fraud Act and Iowa’s Buying Club Memberships Law.

Under an Assurance of Voluntary Compliance agreement that took effect Wednesday, Clarus Marketing Group, based in Middletown, Conn., denies wrongdoing or liability but agrees to resolve Miller’s claims by ceasing to enroll and charge Iowa residents, according to a statement issued by the Iowa Attorney General’s Office.

Freeshipping.com enrolls consumers by offering a free shipping coupon after the consumer completes a transaction on another business’s website, according to Miller’s office. Under this post-transaction marketing arrangement, Clarus enrolls the consumer in a monthly membership program, or buying club, and charges the consumer’s credit or debit card approximately $8 to $15 in monthly fees.

“Consumers may think they’re taking advantage of a one-time, free shipping promotion, not realizing they’re enrolling in a buying club,” Miller said in a statement. “So they often end up paying ongoing monthly charges for a membership that they don’t know they have and don’t use.”

Clarus has agreed to provide customer payment information that will allow the Consumer Protection Division to contact consumers and provide partial or full refunds under the settlement, according to the AG’s office.

Miller said the underlying problem of charges that consumers did not knowingly authorize affects many Iowans.

“What we find time after time is that consumers get enrolled in memberships when they’re shopping online, and then unwanted charges start appearing on their credit or debit cards,” Miller said. “We use Iowa laws to prevent or stop improper ‘stealth’ marketing whenever possible, but consumers also need to protect themselves by being on the lookout for unauthorized charges.”

Heh. That's actually not as sinister as I was anticipating. I thought they would be pulling one of those "the customer is the product" schemes where you'd be effectively exchanging the personal information of customers (as transaction data) for the service. The mined data could then be sold to targeted advertisers.

Perhaps one should avoid ebay at all costs; I know I have, and have never been the victim of a scam.

Hi there! Freeshipping.com is a membership based program that offers its members a variety of benefits which I have listed below for you.

– 10% cash back and free shipping at over 1,000 online stores, from popular brand-name retailers to niche and specialty merchants
– Rebates of up to $10 per order and up to $500 a year if you do pay for shipping on a purchase you make through FreeShipping.com
– Unlimited access to free return shipping, via FedEx Ground®, on any order you make through us
– Return shipping rebates of up to $10 per return and up to $500 a year if you can't or don't use FedEx Ground to send a purchase back
– A price protection guarantee that covers up to $100 per purchase and up to $1,000 a year if you find a recent purchase advertised for less
– Exclusive coupons that offer additional savings at participating retailers
– A search engine that instantly compares the price of any item sold in our network of 1,000+ retailers

There is a trial period then a monthly fee of $12.97.

You can cancel at any time online, via email or phone, but we think the benefits will keep you coming back!

Thank you and have a great day!

I bought something on EBay recently and a "POP-UP" sent me to a service called "FreeShipping.Com"? I couldn't figure out if there was a cost (hidden or otherwise). Has anyone use it and it worth the cost or effort? Thanks

This thread doesn't belong in this forum...moving to Feedback.

Hi there! Freeshipping.com is a membership based program that offers its members a variety of benefits which I have listed below for you.

– 10% cash back and free shipping at over 1,000 online stores, from popular brand-name retailers to niche and specialty merchants
– Rebates of up to $10 per order and up to $500 a year if you do pay for shipping on a purchase you make through FreeShipping.com
– Unlimited access to free return shipping, via FedEx Ground®, on any order you make through us
– Return shipping rebates of up to $10 per return and up to $500 a year if you can't or don't use FedEx Ground to send a purchase back
– A price protection guarantee that covers up to $100 per purchase and up to $1,000 a year if you find a recent purchase advertised for less
– Exclusive coupons that offer additional savings at participating retailers
– A search engine that instantly compares the price of any item sold in our network of 1,000+ retailers

There is a trial period then a monthly fee of $12.97.

You can cancel at any time online, via email or phone, but we think the benefits will keep you coming back!

Thank you and have a great day!

A scammer and a spammer. Awesome:thumbup:

At least they came on here and stated their case.

Better then ignoring it like so many other companies do.

If someone joins something like that it is their own fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back