Ed Fowler Pronghorn?

RJ

I just came a Fowler Pronghorn at a gun show today. I have been looking for one for some time now. I was told that the one at the show was wire damascus and about 13 years old. I did not ask the price because too many other customers were at the table. Anyone have an idea as to what it should sell for? I may go back tomorrow to get it. One sold for $950 on the forums about 5-6 months ago but it did not have a damascus blade.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rich

I think the 'pronghorn' defines a particular size (5-6 inch blade?). I think Ed forges 52100 exclusively now, so an older piece with a damascus blade would make it more valuable. In addition, his signature handle material is sheephorn (there is an amusing story behind that).

If it has a blade in that size range, with a sheephorn handle, made from 52100 steel, it would be worth around $1000 depending on condition. I have seen smaller, and larger Fowler blades in the $600 to $1200 range.

Something like what you describe would be particularly collectable, especially if it has a handle material that is Not sheephorn. As to value, I really have no idea. There are very few Fowlers offered for sale on the secondary market. I would have to guess in excess of $1000, but I would need to see and handle the knife first. Many people buy Fowler knives as users, since that is the whole purpose behind Ed's knife design's.

If it is still there tommorow, at least try to take a picture and share will all of us. I would love to see that knife.

Paracelsus

I too would love to see a picture. An Ed Fowler Pronghorn is #1 on my "most wanted" list. By a LARGE margin.
-Paul

Good Topic. I've also been curious about Ed's knives for a long time. Does he still make several per year? And, anyone have any idea what his Backlog is?

There is another maker that I think is Ed's current protoge - guy by the name of named Bill Burke. He makes knives that look exactly like Eds and I've seen them for sale usually in the $500 -$600 range. I would assume that the material quality is the same but the long term investment potential is much less.

I think Ed has a several year wait list. He was also the teacher of recent ABS Mastersmith Audra Draper, whose knives show a strong Fowler design influence (large, ergonomic handles, large protective finger guards, and extended ricasso area in front of the guard, and drop point tips).

I would really like to know the definition of the 'pronghorn' name, since I have seen similar knives in several size ranges. Does the 'pronghorn' denote a style, or a particular size? Many of tyhe Fowler knives I have seen share almost identical design features.

Paracelsus

I always thought that the Pronghorn was a model name. I will try to explain the knife a little more.

It has about a 5-6 inch drop point blade. It does have the sheep horn handle with buffalo horn spacer just before the brass guard.

It is funny that Audra Draper was mentioned because the dealer had four of her knives. Three were in a set and a single hunter. The influence from Ed Fowler is evident. I am looking for more info on her because I wanted one of the knives but it was a set and the dealer did not want to break it.

Rich

[This message has been edited by RJ (edited 03-17-2001).]

I just spoke with my girlfriend, without me knowing she went back to see how much the knife was and to buy it as a gift. The price was $1800. She did not get it because she knows nothing about knives and she did not know if that was a good price.
I will try to go back tomorrow and talk with the guy a little more.

$1800 may be a bit steep for me right now unless I sell a few knives. But what do you guys think of that price?

Rich

I'm very fortunate to have a Ed Fowler 5" Proghorn. Ed told me that he has more orders than he could ever hope to make. Most knives takes about 5-6 years to get. Ed is one of the most gracious men I have ever had the fortune to correspond with. I DO use mine and though it was very expensive, most Fowler knives increase in the secondary market if you can find one immediately. I have seen knives similar to mine that were priced around $1000. I treasure mine and feel very honored that I have it. As a matter of fact I just watched Ed's video on his knives and I am even more in awe.

Is $1800 a lot to spend on the knife? Yes. Is it worth it? Only if it is to you. The mark up by a private dealer is high but can you easily get one of his knives? Personally I would rather have one of his 52100 bearing grade steel knives. To me, that is the heart and soul of a Fowler.

Contact Northwest Knives and Collectibles. they have a few Fowlers in their catalogs each year. Every once in a while you see one here or even Ebay.

To me, the Fowler is prize of my collection. That, and Ed is just a pure gentleman to deal with. To me he epitimizes what the knife world is about.

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

Buck Collectors Club-Lifetime Member
JKM-Chai
KnifeKnutt@aol.com

Like Greg said in the post above, Ed and Angie Fowler are 2 of the nicest people you can meet. They are the kind of people that make our small knife world better.
I also would rather have on of Ed's 52100 knives but that is just because I don't really care for damascus. You can be sure that any knife of Ed's has part of the maker in it.
Drop him an email or call him because even though he is way backordered, you never know. Occassionally someone's knife will be ready and they can't pay for it, or maybe he'll be at a show in your area soon. You can get his info off the ABS website.
Audra and Mike Draper are also great people and both make good knives. You can get their info at the same place. Ask Audra about the knife she sold for a penny!

Dave

Dave's right....I told Ed that I was definitely going to use his knife and got a call 6 months later and was told my knife was ready if I wanted it. It truly is an incredibly working knife. Ed's sould is inlayed all over that piece.

Greg

I've said it many times that Ed Fowler is my favorite maker. I had the chance to meet Ed & Angie at my first knife show in '98. Since then I've learned a lot, met and become friends with many other makers, here on BFC as well as in person at shows. Still, Ed and his knives remain my favorite. I'm going to own one before I die.

I don't think I'm betraying any great secret that Ed & Angie are 'Lurkers' here. RJ don't be surprised if you hear from them
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by PhilL (edited 03-18-2001).]

I am amazed at the response that I have received about this knife. I have even been contacted by several people via email about the knife(PhiL how right you were
wink.gif
). However, I a sorry to say that I was not able to go back and get it. But I may just track down the seller and get it anyway.

Now all I have to do is find a 52100 version and I will be set for spring turkey season.

Rich

Well, I just got off the phone with a dealer and they had a 4 7/8" Pronghorn in 52100. I can not wait to get the knife and I plan on using it for the up coming spring turkey (that's if I get a turkey
biggrin.gif
)

[This message has been edited by RJ (edited 03-20-2001).]

RJ, congratz and happy hunting.

Could you post a pic when you get it?

Ahhhhhh...the knife not the turkey.
wink.gif

...a happy ending to an interesting love story! And nobody died (except some turkey that is). Who could ask for more?

smile.gif

RJ: Welcome to the club. Please email when you get the knife and tell me what you think. To whet your whistle I want you to concentrate on the temper lines you will see when you get the Fowler.

Pay attention to the hard cutting edge, you will be able to see the transformation zone to the softer spine. It is incredible! Also pay attention to the handle. It is a 3-piece percision formed domestic sheep horn handle. The forward section lookws like a quartz marble peice sandwhiched between the black spacers. It is unbelievable how Ed gets this to fit.

Do not be afraid to use it. This is a high performance blade meant to be carried...not holding court in a safe or a shelf.

Also, the hand stitched wax harness sheath is one of the toughest sheaths you will ever see and the blade will not move a milimeter in it.

Sorry if the anticipation is driving you nuts.

smile.gif

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

Buck Collectors Club-Lifetime Member
JKM-Chai
KnifeKnutt@aol.com

I will try to post a pic of the knife when I get it.

Greg, I will look at the blade as soon as I get it. I have a feeling that this knife will not be out of my hands for the first month or so.

Rich

One of my first custom knives was a Fowler bowie. I use it when I go hiking. It cuts and chops beautifully and no knife feels better in the hand. It's also very tough. Someone once dropped it onto a hard floor point first, and there was no damage. It has always been fun to speak to Ed at shows. He has a lot of knowledge about knives and is generous in sharing it. He hasn't been at the NY show the past couple of years, and we miss him!

Good for you, RJ.

As far as that turkey hunting goes, the b*stards are all over the place up here. Damn near had one take out the windshield of my truck yesterday. How many dozen do you want
biggrin.gif

Back