Ed Fowler Pronghorn?

Blademan, I know what you mean about the birds. I just saw two on my way home from work. They ran right out in front of me. I would have swerved for them but I did not want to hurt my new truck. If I only had my shotgun. All I had was a Glock 36 and a folder. It would have been very messy
wink.gif

Rich

yitz, I saw your knife at an Empire Knife Club meeting last year. It's a beauty, thanks for letting me fondle it.
The only time I saw Ed & Angie in NYC was my first show in '98. I asked Ed if he was coming to any of the NY shows in the future and he says he doubts it. So, if the mountain won't come to Mohamed...then I'll have to stop by and see you at Blade show in June.
wink.gif

<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=254126&a=1889223&p=44377941&Sequence=0&res=high" TARGET=_blank>

Thumbnail
</A>

Photography by: Gus Kalanzis

[This message has been edited by PhilL (edited 03-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by PhilL (edited 03-23-2001).]

Great thread you guys.

I've been out of here for a few days, but I'm sure that a few of you know I own a passel of Ed's knives, and think very highly of them. I own 4 of Ed's blades, each representing different stages of his development to his journey to the status of Master bladesmith.. I own 2 early Willow Bows, his first Woodcraft model, and a very stout Pronghorn with a 4 1/2" blade.

The Woodcraft is the user of my Fowlers, and it shows. That edge is pretty much unparalled. It just keeps on cutting, even when it's lost that "razor" sharpness.

Ed is very engaging in person, and IMHO, quite a gentleman.

AL

How thick does Ed like his knives? From the pictures I've seen, they're pretty thick. Doesn't this contradict the needs of a skinner?

[This message has been edited by tallwingedgoat (edited 03-23-2001).]

Is the knife just posted on Nordicknives.com a damascus Pronghorn, or is it a different model?

The knife just posted is a Pronghorn and is stated as being a "Slightly Used" knife of Damascus. I think that Dave @ Nordic purchased it from AG earlier this week.

Hey Phil, Nice picture
biggrin.gif
(Ok to steal my pics any time BTW).

------------------
" The real art of living is to keep alive the longing in human beings to become greater versions of themselves." Laurens Van der Post in memory of James Mattis

As HBE stated, that WAS a Pronghorn model forged from a chainsaw blade. It went for $750 apparently. I saw it available at Nordic, damned near called to order, decided to sleep on it, and lost out. A pretty big Fowler to go for that price. Congrats to the buyer. I agree though that a Fowler forged from a 52100 is truly about the best you can get. Ed might not agree, as I know he is always pushing forward, setting higher standards for his blades, as would be expected of a Mastersmith. Looking forward to seeing you at the Oregon Show Ed, if your out there...

AL

I haven't received the Pronghorn from Nordic yet, so I can't say for sure what its like. But Ed emailed me to say that he believes he knows this knife, and that it is 52100. The uncertainty is apparently the result of the distinct temper lines on the blade. I hope that's so, as I'd prefer 52100 but wasn't prepared to pass up a shot at any Pronghorn! Once I get it, I'll put up some pics.

By the way, this is one more example of how nice and friendly the Fowlers are - how many other makers take the time to email a stranger, and offer advice and assistence on a knife? Especially one I didn't get directly from them. Must be the air out in Wyoming...

Congrats on the getting the Pronghorn!

The night I first saw it posted on Nordic's website I emailed Dave and made a pretty sweet Trade offer but he politely declined saying that he thought it would sell quickly. And that it did!!

Let us know if it is 52100 when you get it, what a great surprise that would be huh?
smile.gif
Enjoy!

Post some pics if you have time.

This is Mr. JBravo's new knife from Nordic Knives:

View

Sure doesn't look like damascus to me. You got a great deal there JBravo. Enjoy!

I am sure Ed could clean it up for you if the discoloration in the ricasso area bothers you. I think you ought to make that knife a user though and let it acquire more character with use.

Ed, if you are reading this, I am sure folks here would get a kick out of reading your article in Blade a ways back about the source of your sheephorn handles. I still chuckle whenever I think about it. If you have an electronic copy, please post it for us.

Paracelsus

Arrrrgggghhh! I plague on whoever described it as "chainsaw damascus". I saw that puppy right after they posted it, and passed because I'm dead set on 52100.
JBravo-way to go. "He who hesitates is lost" and dammit I lost on that one!
I'm glad it went to a true knife knut like yourself.
-Paul
PS...if you just can't get past that horribly disfigured ricasso scarring, give me a call.
wink.gif

JB, She is a Beauty! Congratz! Use her in good health.
Para, thanks for posting the pic.

Paul, some day huh?
wink.gif

JB,

Congrats on snagging a rare beauty. Hope you use it like it Ed intended after the honeymoon is over. On second thought the honeymoon will probably never end
smile.gif

John

JB

So it was you! Good for you man. And If that IS one of 52100, as possibly recognized by Ed that you snagged for $750, you are one lucky dude! That's the kind of deal that would have great 5 or 6 years ago. I squinted to look for signs of that blade being damascus, but just didn't see any.

I agree. Who did this damascus description come from anyway? It cost me a Fowler! IMO, if your a Fowler purist, you go for the 52100.

AL

Nice looking knife. When Ed etches his blades in Ferric Chloride the natural beauty of the grain comes through and I have read in publications where is was described as "damascus like" in appearance and in some ways that is true but what one is actually looking at is the grain structure. Before Ed forges a blade he marks the bearing with an indelible pen and forges along with the grain of the steel. 52100 is incredibly clean so when etched the temper and grain lines stand out. A real thing of beauty IMO.

52100 blades stamped before 2000 were on the left side of the tang. The older 5160 were on the right side of the tang I believe. The picture posted looks to me like 52100.

Discoloration on the blade or scratches on the guard or whatever in no way detract from the usefulness of a Fowler Proghorn. These are high performance using knives....period.

You guys should see my Proghorn. The sheath is scarred and the blade is scratched and I don't care at all...the knife cuts as well as it did the day I got it....November 18, 1999....11:47 AM....it was a cloudy and cool day with a westerly breeze.....
biggrin.gif

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

Buck Collectors Club-Lifetime Member
JKM-Chai
KnifeKnutt@aol.com

Ed emailed me and said he thought he remembered this knife. Came from a 52100 ball bearing that produced good blades. He also said he'd clean it up for you if you like. The instructions were something like send it to Dave, he will get it to us, will take about 6 months
smile.gif

Well, part of that's true
biggrin.gif
Shoot him an email, I sent you the address.
You're not gonna find a maker who cares more about the knives he makes and the people who buy them anywhere. Don't confuse his knives with those made by guys who buy bars of steel and crank out 2-300 a year. There's a part of him in each one.
BTW-wonder if Angie lets him keep rattlers in tanks in the house like he used to
eek.gif

Dave

I got my Pronghorn! What a great knife! Definitely made out of 52100, but you can see everything in the crystalline structure of it. Between that and the triple temper lines, I guess I see how someone might have thought it was unetched damascus. Its seen some use, judging from the light scuffs on it (although the sheath looks brand new and unused), which is fine with me - I don't have to worry about that 'first' little ding. By the way, Ed's mark is on the left side of the tang. If I can get some pics without glare off the edge, I'll post them.

Back