EDC a Limited Edition?

P4L

Hey I’m new, just made an account. I also just got into knives about 6 months ago. I picked up a benchmade barrage with m390. Been using everyday at work and I’m amazed at how long it says sharp compared to what I used to use, a “grandpa knife” as my co worker would say. He took my barrage home and sharpened it with his wicked edge. I’ve now gotten a lot of appreciation for higher grade steel and quality. He’s all about some knives and says I should carry my Limited Edition’s to work. Here’s where the topic comes into play, I’ve just got the new benchmade 940-2001 limited edition with sv90, and the 940-1802 Limited edition with dlc m390 (2018? I think). I just don’t want to carry them to work because they're limited and cannot easily be replaced if lost or damaged. I’d still carry them outside of work where they won’t get used as harsh. What do you all think? Thanks

If you use them away from work, they are “used” knives and probably don’t have any extra value as a “limited edition.”

Use them and enjoy them.

What does s90v do while it’s only being looked at? It was made for rugged tough use and I’m sure it won’t mind. Lol.

I love to use a knife for work. Limited edition steels usually are made to perform, and I enjoy taking full advantage of their properties

You answered your own question. "I don't want to take them to work..." Don't. You've already decided, don't let us or your friend talk you into something you don't want to do. Enjoy them your way. I have knives I'll only use for certain tasks. To each their own. Just out of curiosity, what was the "grandpa knife"?

You answered your own question. "I don't want to take them to work..." Don't. You've already decided, don't let us or your friend talk you into something you don't want to do. Enjoy them your way. I have knives I'll only use for certain tasks. To each their own. Just out of curiosity, what was the "grandpa knife"?
A old tiny buck knife

I use my 456cf. I use my bento box paramilitary 2. If you're not going to use them why have them? That's my philosophy. But plenty of people have sage queens and just look at and fondle certain knives. They're yours, do with them as you please!

Just to put things in perspective... your family doesn’t give near as much of a sh!t as you do about your stuff.

If you are an excellent caretaker of all your stuff, I’m sure whoever buys it for pennies on the dollar after you’re gone will be appreciative of all the TLC, while they’re using your stuff.

Tell him to bring his most prized knives to work and see how that goes. Admire them as you wish and who knows, one day you might say
“ what the hell” and start carrying them for everything. You’ll know when that day comes, it’s just not today.

I agree with most majority of the replies--use or enjoy your knives however the way you like, and definitely no peer pressure here. Besides lost or harsh use, if people tend to borrow your knives during work(maybe it's just my bad luck, but people always borrow mine to pry), that maybe something to think about.

I have. My view is: If I can't carry and use it, why have it?
Others will no doubt disagree with me on that, and that's fine. To each their own. :)

BTW. Nothing wrong with carrying and using a "Grandpa Knife" if that is what type/style you prefer. :)

Last edited:
I almost died years ago taking a corner too slow while delivering a $1200 wedding cake. I remember the sounds of twisting metal and glass, and the last thing I saw and thought of was that wedding cake and how stupid it all was that I was about to die for it or because of it. After 4 days I woke from a coma...my point is, there're all just material things in the end. Use the knife that makes you happy regardless of the price.

......non of that crap really happened though..:D

Nothing wrong with keeping some pristine "fondlers" in mint condition , if you like .

I still have a few like that , but I no longer buy any I don't intend to use .

I would use it. You know it will be sold one day at a yard sell for nothing. Lol

Back