EDC a Limited Edition?

I'd keep the Limited Edition knives for use outside of work for you to enjoy off-duty.

Use whatever beater knife works best for you at work so you don't mind loaning it to someone or else losing it.

right now I carry a shaman in rex 45 for MY use as I see fit and a buck 110 (or grandpa knife to some) for hard use or for others to use if they need to borrow a knife...the more rare a knife is the less likely I am to put it to real hard use but it still gets used...I wouldn't risk taking a difficult to replace knife to work but that's me

Not to worry, that's why God made Buck Knives.
wqt1U7l.jpg

Hey I’m new, just made an account. I also just got into knives about 6 months ago. I picked up a benchmade barrage with m390. Been using everyday at work and I’m amazed at how long it says sharp compared to what I used to use, a “grandpa knife” as my co worker would say. He took my barrage home and sharpened it with his wicked edge. I’ve now gotten a lot of appreciation for higher grade steel and quality. He’s all about some knives and says I should carry my Limited Edition’s to work. Here’s where the topic comes into play, I’ve just got the new benchmade 940-2001 limited edition with sv90, and the 940-1802 Limited edition with dlc m390 (2018? I think). I just don’t want to carry them to work because they're limited and cannot easily be replaced if lost or damaged. I’d still carry them outside of work where they won’t get used as harsh. What do you all think? Thanks

My main carry was Barrage 581 with M390. Love it! One minus: dust particles get inside easily so every 3-4 months it does need a thorough cleaning. Pack it, send it to LifeSharp at BM and get the knife back clean, sharp & oiled for free in 10 days - 2 weeks.

I bought some expensive ones that I can not use them, they have become my house decoration glass shelf display pieces. Just can not carry them.

For some crazy sh*tty work that might destroy the knife I can carry Ontario Rat1 Model 1 with D2 blade. Cheap and descent blade. Does job well. $40!!!

I would also advice you to give a Zero Tolerance ZT0562 a try.

Give a try to manual flippers on bronze washers (or bearings) that have titanium body and a strong frame lock.

You will get amazed as you enjoy this journey.

Welcome to the club! :)

Reactions: P4L
I use everything from my $30 sak to my $350 Matt Bailey custom. I've a lot of LE and discountinued knives, but I use them all. If I lose one, break it, whatever, it's just an excuse to try something new.

Just my ¢2

people tend to borrow your knives during work(maybe it's just my bad luck, but people always borrow mine to pry),
just say NO!
will you work for me is weekend.....NO
can i catch a ride to work next week.....NO
can I use your knife for just a sec....... ARE YOU HONESTLY THAT STUPID TO THINK I WOULD LET YOU USE MY KNIFE?

as to the OP It's yours use it as you see fit

Many of us, myself included, carry and use custom or one-of-a-kind knives, so even limited edition isn't a concern for us. Right now I'm carrying and using a rustic Malanika puukko that is, as far as I have seen, the only one of its kind. It's seen a lot of use and (only) a (very) little abuse. I use my Dawson knives and they are all, by definition, limited edition (if not one of a kind).

Life is short. Use them. Take care of them. Let them show you their features! (With apologies to Jörg Sprave)

Zieg

I can't imagine having bought this thing and not gotten to carry it and use it for the years since. Sure it's got a few little scratches and dings here and there, but it makes me happy whenever it's in my hand:

J3deYQj.jpg

I've got other knives that I'll probably never use or carry. The ludicrous 6" Cold Steel Luzon I bought is still absolutely pristine. It has never cut anything, never been sharpened, and only occasionally flipped for giggles (it's absurd). I have thousand dollar one of a kind knives that I carry and use, but that $35 Cold Steel will probably stay perfect forever. It's too silly to sell (and I enjoy it) but it has no useful purpose in my life.

Do whatever makes you happy.

If you really like a knife get two of them if possible. One to use and enjoy and one for a backup.

I carry and use dealer exclusives and sprints all the time. You're not going to get rich by flipping them and chances are, your family will sell them for pennies on the dollar after you're dead. Use them, enjoy them.

I’ve got a sold out knife in my pocket right now. In my mind I remember a quote from Sal Glesser (owner of spyderco) saying that “not using a a knife and having it sit in the box is letting 80% of what we put into it, die.” Or something very close to that...

Also, do what you want to do. Don’t listen to a bunch of other sick freaks on the internet.

Lots of folks EDC full customs all the time and use em for work. Some folks have different work than others:

1AVLdk4.jpg

VWAgFmO.jpg

pH8v5Df.jpg

YtGt22k.jpg

pXJ01KR.jpg

rwUxQGz.jpg

oQ5UrVm.jpg

If ya like em, they are practical and work for what ya need em to do. Carry em and use em!

0UECzKT.jpg

I found a way to have both ideas. I call my supplier for a new knife that just came out and order two of them. When they come, I go over them both and look for the one with the most scratches and dings. I put the dinged one in my jeans and tuck the "good one" away.

This idea has no bearing on the pictures I take showing three examples...

I'm with the majority here, I carry and use all my knives including Sprints and Dealer Exclusives.

If work wants me to use a knife they better be paying for it. I only use my nice stuff for time off the clock.

Not everyone has this luxury. Some of us are required to own our own tools. I go to work everyday with more than $10,000 in tools. I use the best knife for the task at hand, and no not limited editions.

BlackKnight86 BlackKnight86 ’s advice is spot on. If it is hard use, use a less valuable blade.

I carry all my knives ; cheap, expensive, production models, limited edition .... it doesn’t really matter for me ;)

It like you, I usually make sure I carry my most “exclusive” ones in places where losing them should not happen

Not everyone has this luxury. Some of us are required to own our own tools. I go to work everyday with more than $10,000 in tools. I use the best knife for the task at hand, and no not limited editions.

BlackKnight86 BlackKnight86 ’s advice is spot on. If it is hard use, use a less valuable blade.

Then I'd be legitimately claiming them as a work expense on taxes! :)

Hey I’m new, just made an account. I also just got into knives about 6 months ago. I picked up a benchmade barrage with m390. Been using everyday at work and I’m amazed at how long it says sharp compared to what I used to use, a “grandpa knife” as my co worker would say. He took my barrage home and sharpened it with his wicked edge. I’ve now gotten a lot of appreciation for higher grade steel and quality. He’s all about some knives and says I should carry my Limited Edition’s to work. Here’s where the topic comes into play, I’ve just got the new benchmade 940-2001 limited edition with sv90, and the 940-1802 Limited edition with dlc m390 (2018? I think). I just don’t want to carry them to work because they're limited and cannot easily be replaced if lost or damaged. I’d still carry them outside of work where they won’t get used as harsh. What do you all think? Thanks

First, welcome to BladeForums.

What do I think? I think people who give unsolicited advice regarding what others should do with their stuff should mind their own damned business.

As I sit here I have a $400 knife in one pocket and a $15 knife in the other. I have bunch of knives that are “users” and others that I use—quite literally—as decoration in my office in lieu of more traditional “artwork.” I have a machinist’s tool box full of knives that will probably never open an envelope in my lifetime; I bought them to enjoy in other ways. The knife I used during my yard work last weekend is a custom fixed blade; I used it because that’s what I bought it for, and it was the best knife for the job.

It’s *your* stuff to do with as *you* want. If carrying a knife and using it brings you joy, do that. If sitting in your recliner admiring its craftsmanship or its beauty makes you happy, do that.

Based on what you wrote, it seems that you should not carry these “limited” knives to work—or at least not yet. Down the road you may well change your mind, but for now it seems to me that you are doing what makes you comfortable. And that’s *exactly* what you should do.

IMHO, of course.

Reactions: P4L
Back