EDC Lighters?

I've had my Maratac for a month and have used it a dozen times. Just did a refill to see how much fluid it needed and it was only a few drops to top it off.
Seems to last longer than BF's peanut??
The single O-ring seals it well.

Yeah, my Peanut probably lasts longer. But depends on how long you let it burn. Most of the time mines been lit, is from showing it to others when conversations drift to edc things.

I tried all the tricks to keep zippo's from evaporating. Nothing worked, and was always dry when needed. So now I just scatter bics and ronson's around the house and car. If I have a choice, I much prefer the ronson butane lighters. The fine tip of flame allows you to be more specific for point of contact. Whether I'm lighting up a birthday cake, or melting the end leather stitching waxed thread. Or even melting paracord ends. They are cheap and easy to refill.

Ronson Jetlite Butane Torch Lighter - Satin Dusk Embossed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007D50SSE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_FcnLybCQ944E9

And now that I have a bunch of the butane's scattered around, I will probably get more of the electronics. They do not take the place of a flame when you need instant fire and heat (like for my leatherwork hobby). But if you just need something lit up, they are just so cool. [emoji41]

USB Lighter - SPPARX Arc Lighter, Dual Arc Electronic Lighter - FASTER - STRONGER - SAFER - Rechargeable Lighter Windproof, Cigarette Lighter, USB cable, Gift Box https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DICHC2K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_MpnLyb2XHM6JS

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

Last edited:
Ive been a fan of ZIPPOs for a long time and have a slew - IMCOs also for that matter.

Fact of the matter is though, that they just ooze lighter fluid and it will evaporate in no time flat. Simply is not practical for my use when kayaking/hiking/camping.

One can get modern inserts for the ZIPPO or get a milled look-a-like of high quality but why bother with the bulk and weight.

Piezo ignition systems are 'carp.' Ive had a bunch and they've all broken down - including the Piezo ignition system on my JETBOIL SOL. It didnt like going to the beach a few times.

A USB charging lighter wont do for me - I need to be able to replenish the lighter in the field. Further more, the above USB lighter does not seem practical for lighting a fire - no offense (I dont smoke - Im sure it'll do just fine for lighting smokes).

For me there is only one holy grail of lighter for field/bushcraft use including the above mentioned activities - its the Japanese brass DOUGLASS waterproof Field Lighter.

It a high quality lighter, which does not leak fluid like a ZIPPO and which further more have a small interior spare lighter fluid compartment.

Its only because of the steep price, that Ive held back so far but then again, the quality lighter should last a life time. I really really want a Douglass lighter!

Douglass Field Lighter:

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Douglass-Field-Lighter-Waterproof--23249

Just my opinion and for my activities - YMMV.

I've smoked all manner of things and gone through all manner of lighters.

Bic is king.

For torch style lighters nothing beats the original Blazer PB207. Designed as a torch, not a lighter so it tolerates extended use. Comes with a stand and latches on for hands free use, and holds up very well. When I was a pipe smoker I'd get about 3-4 years out of one, now that I carry it "just in case" I expect double to triple that.

~Chip

I've smoked all manner of things and gone through all manner of lighters.

Bic is king.

I stand up in support of CM on this one.

I've smoked cigars, cigarettes, pipes, and various other apparatus... I've ignited an unbelievable list of materials into roaring fires. All with a Bic lighter.

Either a full size Bic or Mini Bic... they can each be had for under a buck and carried without knowing they are there... with zero maintenance.

If you are a "two is one and one is none" kind of redundancy advocate, you're in luck: Two of these bad boys will run you like a couple of bucks tops.

The Bic lighter may just be the finest invention that the EDC crowd may ever witness.

Yeah bics b best. Everything else melts. Ever see a tweaker blow up his pipe when the spring shoots the wheel out?

Yeah bics b best. Everything else melts. Ever see a tweaker blow up his pipe when the spring shoots the wheel out?

Yes!

In that case... Bernzomatic propane torch is king ;)

I have a Maratac stainless steel peanut in my added to my ESEE pocket kit but I find it a bit small; if I had frozen fingers getting it lit would require careful attention.

I also have matches a lens and a flint/striker.

Just got a new Plazmatic lighter yesterday!
Figured I'd post some pics.
Totally wind proof, charges with a mini USB and a charge lasts a loooooooooong time. Un like a Zippo that lights one second and not the next, this one gives a warning.
Very cool lighter!
Joe

82a71f0e1b8685203efa0fd89efef0ae.jpg

eabd0931c5733cf63ab485561c11a214.jpg

59e9768f0bacb391c7f964e3287be539.jpg

I've only goofed around with my Spparx electronic lighter with a few pieces of paper. And a few hundred lights just because I like the pretty purple arc. [emoji51] But since it's come up here as a fire starting tool and/or backup, decided to try it out on some wood. Happy to report that it works like a charm. Granted, I don't advocate that anyone rely on anything with batteries for ultimate life saving needs. But simply as "another" option....why not? They are kinda neat. [emoji41]

c9a05776b42b4f4748b405067ba62781.jpg

f0c48ce93bdcde10eecc36f62c1d7ba1.jpg

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

That's what happened in my case TX!!! HAD to have one.......then I had to have 2 more!! My sons caught a glimpse.......now we each have one!!
Joe

Ive been a fan of ZIPPOs for a long time and have a slew - IMCOs also for that matter.

Fact of the matter is though, that they just ooze lighter fluid and it will evaporate in no time flat. Simply is not practical for my use when kayaking/hiking/camping.

One can get modern inserts for the ZIPPO or get a milled look-a-like of high quality but why bother with the bulk and weight.

Piezo ignition systems are 'carp.' Ive had a bunch and they've all broken down - including the Piezo ignition system on my JETBOIL SOL. It didnt like going to the beach a few times.

A USB charging lighter wont do for me - I need to be able to replenish the lighter in the field. Further more, the above USB lighter does not seem practical for lighting a fire - no offense (I dont smoke - Im sure it'll do just fine for lighting smokes).

For me there is only one holy grail of lighter for field/bushcraft use including the above mentioned activities - its the Japanese brass DOUGLASS waterproof Field Lighter.

It a high quality lighter, which does not leak fluid like a ZIPPO and which further more have a small interior spare lighter fluid compartment.

Its only because of the steep price, that Ive held back so far but then again, the quality lighter should last a life time. I really really want a Douglass lighter!

Douglass Field Lighter:

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Douglass-Field-Lighter-Waterproof--23249

Just my opinion and for my activities - YMMV.

New to me, thanks for posting! It looks like an improved version of the old IMCO Triplex Super 6700.

Douglass

douglass-field-s-dg-fs-brass.jpg

IMCO

P1010036.jpg

IMCO developed their basic design in 1919. The Triplex went into production in 1936: you could pull the fuel tank and use it as a candle.

P1010035.jpg

Not waterproof but pretty much windproof, and IMCO pretty much stopped fuel evaporation with a cap that locked down over the wick.

P1010033.jpg

Cheap and worked great. County Comm sold them for $4.95.

Before IMCO went out of business in 2012, they began moving production from Austria to China. If you see a "Classics Imco Triplex Super 6700," it is from the Chinese factory which still makes them. At $20, it is mainly for collectors and petrol lighter diehards. No doubt you could buy one in China for less than half that. Do not try to fly in, into or out of China with a petrol lighter which has been fueled.

Last edited:
You guys with the Electric Lighters should look into getting a decent USB solar charger. I keep one in the dash of my truck and most come with clips to clip onto the outside of go bags.

For a true emergency fire starter the Bic is just about perfect. I started making mini Bic holders out of Kydex scraps. I have them on my key ring and on my woods knife sheath.

I recently came across a Bic that was a stretched version of the mini. It fits the hand better, holds a butt more butane but isn't as bulky as the regular Bic. Only place a could find them was a place that put your logo etc on key rings, flash lights etc shop I had a bunch of lighters made with my logo. Pretty cool.

9324e3bf93f22e025ee87a6b659f9164.jpg

6df1072eb9be512a9764cb21c1b19a40.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've got an electronic lighter and it is cool. But when the lid is down and the button is pushed it still 'lights' and after a day in my pocket the battery was dead and the electrodes half gone. I tried contacting the seller on Amazon a few times and nada. Amazon might replace it but I haven't tried but with the seller not replying I basically see it as $20 down the drain. I don't smoke and don't need a lighter but I'm a bit of a pyro so always have a lighter on me and if I can't carry it then it doesn't do me much good.

Just a heads up for anyone that buys one, you might want to make sure it stops when the lid is closed.

Zippos suck!....until you put a Thunderbird butane insert in them that is. :) I love my Zippos now, they are just a case for a really good system. They have pipe inserts, flame and torch options, and take very little butane to run a long time. The benefit is also not worrying about wicks ever again. I also don't smoke, but it's nice to have a lighter.

Charlie Mike is very correct though, Bic has a place at the top of my heart. I've found them in water submerged for who knows how long, and after 30 minutes they will dry out and run like a champ!

Back