EDC - Lord of the Rings style

Surely Beorn would carry a bearhead jack knife? :rolleyes:

h0uBFXO.jpg

:poop:I want one :eek:! it looks magical :cool:

Yes it does.:D
With the mind set for fantasy, it's not hard to imagine how medieval people would have reacted to a knife like this. :eek:
Most likely the owner would have been accused for wichcraft, tied to a pole and burnt. :oops:

If You want one, this model is no longer made and there was only one in glowinthedark pinecone.
However there are other models, that sometimes are made in these materials.
If You look hard, You will find them at a certain "Trollcave factory" in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan...;)

Regards
Mikael

Last edited:
OYaHuuv.jpg

Saruman, Treebeard says "He has a mind of metal and gears". So a mechanical operated knife would appeal to him. Also being a betrayer and cunning he'd want something concealed and deadly. Something easy to stab someone in the back.
Oh, but David, that's such a cool knife! Had a small one like that in the early 1970s. My son recently bought one like yours. I just gotta get one! But I don't wanna be like Saruman.

Prester John Prester John
I like good made ones unfortunately this one isn't mine. Just a pic I grabbed. I'm thinking of all the characters Saruman would be the only one to carry a folder as a WEAPON. My reasoning is this, for Aragon, Legolas and Boromir would have ranged weapons I.e. bows. Throwing axes for Gimli. That would be an analogue to a long gun for us. Their swords/axes are secondary weapons ( as they were historically, for example a knights primary would have been a lance) which would be likened to a handgun for us. Sheath/belt knives and pocket knives could be pressed into action, but like 99% of us today, are used for mundane day to day tasks. But Saruman being a Wizard his power is his weapon. A knife would be unexpected attack from such a person. But due to his devious nature would be a tactic used by him I think. Thus a concealed knife would BE a weapon for him. For someone with a mechanical inclined mind,I think he'd enjoy the action on a well made stiletto switch blade. I can just see him with a pocket in the sleeve of his robe in which to secret it.

Last edited:
Prester John Prester John
I like good made ones unfortunately this one isn't mine. Just a pic I grabbed. I'm thinking of all the characters Saruman would be the only one to carry a folder as a WEAPON. My reasoning is this, for Aragon, Legolas and Boromir would have ranged weapons I.e. bows. Throwing axes for Gimli. That would be an analogue to a long gun for us. Their swords/axes are secondary weapons ( as they were historically, for example a knights primary would have been a lance) which would be likened to a handgun for us. Sheath/belt knives and pocket knives could be pressed into action, but like 99% of us today, are used for mundane day to day tasks. But Saruman being a Wizard his power is his weapon. A knife would be unexpected attack from such a person. But due to his devious nature would be a tactic used by him I think. Thus a concealed knife would BE a weapon for him. For someone with a mechanical inclined mind,I think he'd enjoy the action on a well made stiletto switch blade. I can just see him with a pocket in the sleeve of his robe in which to secret it.
Good reasoning. I think the Mafia used/uses such knives. Or is that just in the movies?

TUCU3du.jpg

Bilbo, having settled down and wrote
My Diary. My Unexpected Journey. There and Back Again. And
What Happened After.

Adventures of Five Hobbits.The Tale of the Great Ring, compiled by
Bilbo Baggins from his own observations and the accounts of his friends.
What we did in the War of the Ring.

THE DOWNFALL
OF THE
LORD OF THE RINGS
AND THE
RETURN OF THE KING

(as seen by the Little People; being the memoirs of Bilbo and
Frodo of the Shire, supplemented by the accounts of their friends
and the learning of the Wise.)
(Yeah that's Bilbo and Frodo's title to the Red Book of Westmarch) presumably with quills. So I think Bilbo would have had a nice little pen knife. Simple and without undue embellishments as fitting a Hobbit of the Shire. But a with little fancy thrown in so not to look a total bumpkin amongst the elves. I would like to think if Bilbo was to look into a display case looking for such a knife, he would pick this Schrade. And think to himself "This will do quite nicely indeed"

I'm a pretty big Tolkien fan. I took my old tattered combined copy of LotR to Alaska on a hunt and read it during the rain and used it as a pillow.

I think Gimli would carry this knife:

nIU66NPl.jpg

I think someone in the Fellowship would/should have carried an orc detector. :D

What knife is that? It isn't the Rough Rider coffin handled bowie is it? Looks nice.

Nice thread. I'm definitely a LOTR fan. Figured I'd look around and find this old thread.

IMG_1110.jpg

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/hand-engraved-code-4-lord-of-the-rings.1145824/

That guy did some hand work which still seriously impresses me.

Celtic designs always seem LOTR-ish.

CfztmOv.jpg

That Code 4, although not traditional, is incredible.

150499018218.jpg
First these are not my knives, only downloaded the pics. This I can see as a Dwarven EDC:D
AKSj6iC.jpg

Aragorns pocket knife. As a ranger he's often alone and far into the wild. He'd need to maintain his gear, and take care of his horse. And should he need to limber up the tongue for some info, a way to open the wine;)

Back