EDC preferred size

I EDC a Gayle B #1 which is 3.3". It is about the perfect size for me working around the house and shop. I can always get my K2 if I need to scare someone away!

For modern folders, 3 1/2" blade length seems right for me.
I like my traditional to be no bigger than 3 3/4" closed.
EDC fixed blades I like 3-3 1/2" blade length, as long as I can get a full grip on them.

Last edited:
During the week I am fine with sub 3" blades.
Delica or Small Inkosi do the job for me.

During the week-end I prefere the 3.5-3.7" blades and mostly carry a Sebenza, a PM2 or a GB2.

The 3-3.25" seems to be the perfect balance for me but as I have the possibility to shift blades for week-end I take the opportunity to give myself some fun :)

The pocket folders I carry all have blades under 3”: SAK, Opinel 6, Okapi Biltong, medium stockman. If I do carry a modern OHO, it will usually be something with a blade at or near 3”: RAT 2, BM Mini Barrage. If I carry a longer knife, it will be thin: Leek, Improved Muskrat, Mercator.

Most of my fixed blades are right at 4.1”. If I need a longer blade for camping or yard work, it will be some flavor of chopper ot machete, over 10”.

During the warm half of the year I wear those lightweight, synthetic “expedition” type hiking pants you see sold by EMS and REI. I’m limited by them to lighter EDC knives and 3” seems to be the large/heavy end of what my light pants will handle comfortably. I’m looking forward to the upcoming fall turnover time when I go back to heavier pants and can carry larger and heavier EDC knives.

For me (yeah i'm goofy like that) it goes the opposite way. Summer shorts require something with a pocket clip (so typically bigger/heavier) and winter long pants I can go back to something that free rides in the pocket (typically smaller lighter).

I like to mix up my edc's but if I had to pick one the blade and overall size of the kershaw cyro fits the bill for me 99% of the time. As they mentioned above it I have jeans on the blade size increases and I i am wearing light stuff then a smaller blade is wha t i have.....didn't notice i did that until I read the above post....

For a folder I don't like going below 3.5". I've tried many times but there are some tasks that a little folder just can't do. Smallest locking folder I will regularly carry is an H1 SE Dragonfly 2, but unless I am in the water, a larger knife always goes as well. Traditionals are another story, but again I will always pair one with a larger modern locking folder.

For an EDC fixed blade it is always 3" and up, usually 4-5". Same deal as the folder. I come across things that require a longer blade. For an open carry belt knife, the sky is the limits, though around town I don't often have a need for a large belt knife. My primary SD needs are fulfilled by my pistol.

Fixed, no greater than 4.25 inches. I don't wish to scare the sheeple out and about.
I currently like a fixed on me at all times, but understand those who don't. Part of me does it just to get the looks the sheeple give me, in attempt to bring back the visibly identifiable concept of what I consider a man to be, as well as letting them see that inanimate objects don't harm anyone by themselves
I carry a knife as a tool only,
Hmm... Seems like you are contradicting yourself quite a bit here. I don't think it is a good idea to carry a knife (or gun for that matter) to get a rise out of the general population. Doing so, rather than carrying as a tool, will have the opposite effect of your intended goal, that you state in one of your contradictory posts. I'd rethink your strategy a bit here. Me? If it is legal and I need the tool, I really don't care what non-knife people think.

Hey CM, how do you like the Bush Ranger so far? The handle looks like it would be very comfortable.

Had it a couple months. Ergonomics couldn't be better. Weight is less than it appears. Great HT on the S35VN, resharpens easily and holds edge well against even ceramic dinner plates.

Hmm... Seems like you are contradicting yourself quite a bit here. I don't think it is a good idea to carry a knife (or gun for that matter) to get a rise out of the general population. Doing so, rather than carrying as a tool, will have the opposite effect of your intended goal, that you state in one of your contradictory posts. I'd rethink your strategy a bit here. Me? If it is legal and I need the tool, I really don't care what non-knife people think.

No contradictions, just poor choice of words. What I mean is that it's simply a byproduct of caring around a fixed blade, one that I enjoy. And, because of that, it's a piece of the puzzle in wearing one, but I never state that it's the reason. Just part of it. So get off the high horse and watch the soap box you used as a booster stool to mount it, wouldn't want you hurting yourself on the way down.

Last edited:
My sweet spot for an EDC folder is roughly 3.5" blade length, give or take. Too much bigger, becomes a bit overkill for me, and too much smaller, and I'm looking for more edge. Since I practically live in jeans, a Manix 2 fits the bill perfectly for me at the moment (the width doesn't bother me). If I'm in lightweight shorts, I'll usually grab for the Leek.

I only EDC a fixed blade on weekends. If I'm in the woods, 4.5" is about ideal for me. If I'm running around town, or working in the yard, it's a BM Hidden Canyon at about 2.5"

.... Hmm... Seems like you are contradicting yourself quite a bit here. I don't think it is a good idea to carry a knife (or gun for that matter) to get a rise out of the general population. Doing so, rather than carrying as a tool, will have the opposite effect of your intended goal, that you state in one of your contradictory posts. I'd rethink your strategy a bit here. Me? If it is legal and I need the tool, I really don't care what non-knife people think.
I thought the same thing, but I didn't want to push it or even care enough to push it. I do care what non-knife carrying people think within limits. There's a point where I just say.... it's legal, it's a cutting tool, get used to it.... But my comfort folder size is less than 3.5" in part because of non-knife people, but also because I find that I can do just about everything I need to do with a knife this size or less. I have often said that I like SAKs and my largest SAKs are 111mm ones with about a 3" blade and I am very comfortable with this and often am comfortable even if some people don't care for it. I also like smaller SAKs and knives. The small ones tend to be traditional slip joints of which SAKs are part of that group.

I'm a walking talking inconsistency!

No contradictions, just poor choice of words. What I mean is that it's simply a byproduct of caring around a fixed blade, one that I enjoy. And, because of that, it's a piece of the puzzle in wearing one, but I never state that it's the reason. Just part of it. So get off the high horse and watch the soap box you used as a booster stool to mount it, wouldn't want you hurting yourself on the way down.
The quotes are there. You did contradict yourself. Part of a reason is still a reason. You're not just carrying as a tool like you said.

This is a discussion where we use words. If you truly chose them poorly like you say and don't mean what you said then I would advise you to think a bit more before you post as to better convey what you mean.

And I think here in the discussion forums we can do without the insults. It doesn't help the discourse.

For me a 3 to about 3.3 or so is good for a modern folder. For a traditional I like either a stockman or trapper. One of my favorite edc traditional is the buck 301 and the case yellow stockman.
Imho I don't think one needs to spend a fortune on a knife unless it is a collector. Again just opinion and I know many disagree. I don't like too big of a knife when I'm out and about. At home or the woods depending on what I'm doing a little larger is my choice like a buck 110.

I thought the same thing, but I didn't want to push it or even care enough to push it. I do care what non-knife carrying people think within limits. There's a point where I just say.... it's legal, it's a cutting tool, get used to it.... But my comfort folder size is less than 3.5" in part because of non-knife people, but also because I find that I can do just about everything I need to do with a knife this size or less. I have often said that I like SAKs and my largest SAKs are 111mm ones with about a 3" blade and I am very comfortable with this and often am comfortable even if some people don't care for it. I also like smaller SAKs and knives. The small ones tend to be traditional slip joints of which SAKs are part of that group.

I'm a walking talking inconsistency!
I thought it was an odd enough contradiction in the topic that it was worth discussing. Apparently the op doesn't see it that way and would rather get personal. Oh well....

It was and with knives we are often inconsistent. We choose a folder for convenience and sized where we are comfortable using it for our normal cutting activities. For most of us, a small SAK or traditional is all we need for cutting, but we like to "fidget" with knives and we all like knives. Plus when you add a fixed blade to the EDC preferences, sometimes it gets confusing with our preferences.

I try to establish order from chaos. I love this kind of thing. My wife does the dishes by hand and stacks them in a drainer without any or much order. I am compelled to re-position things and my wife hates it.

Back