edc rescue

What does the foum think is the best edc to help in a rescue situation mayby a car crash?I have got a Smith and Wesson 1st Responce.

The best features I think to have for a car rescue knife are:

Serrated edge
Sheepsfoot blade shape
Bright handle color

Spyderco IMO makes the best serrations in the business, so I'd look at the Spyderco Rescue.

I would choose the Spyderco Atlantic Salt over the Rescue in serrated, H1 holds and edge about as well as VG10 in serrated edges and has the advantage of being rust proof.

- Frank

Well....,If price is no concern I would definately go for a Strider GB.
Rugged as hell,tanto.........,this will cutt up the interior as well as the exterior of a car!!!
(A Spyderco is great for cutting the seatbelts,but then you're still trapped in your burning/under water/heavily damaged vehicle!!!)

I really like the Spyderco Assist. The window punch is very handy and the blade is great not only to cut seatbelts, but I've also used it to cut clothing. The blade shape and excellent serrations make it very easy and keep the victim safe from an accidental cut.

What do you guys think about the Camillus Rescue heat? I was thinking about getting one for my father.

Spyderco Rescue or if you want something beefier, the Spyder D'Allaria Rescue.

raoul said:
Well....,If price is no concern I would definately go for a Strider GB.
Rugged as hell,tanto.........,this will cutt up the interior as well as the exterior of a car!!!
(A Spyderco is great for cutting the seatbelts,but then you're still trapped in your burning/under water/heavily damaged vehicle!!!)

Raoul makes a great point here. Car glass is not the easiest thing in the world to break especially when your in a constrained position. I keep a small prybar nail puller whatchamacallit under my seat for those special moments.

Good luck trying to break toughened glass from inside a vehicle with any device that relies on you swinging it at the glass.

A spring-loaded glass punch is the most effective way of dealing with toughened glass.

Does the Assist II FRN / Spyderco-C79BK2 also have the glass breaker in it as well or just the assist I ?

Spyderco Police
Spyderco Rescue
Spyderco Atlantic Salt
Spyderco Pacific Salt

I'll second the res-q-me. I have seen them in use at a roll over. POP there goes window,slice there goes seat belt. The woman was upside down hanging there by her belt. The LAST thing I would want used to cut that belt would be a sharp blade of ANY kind.

I would also be very carefull about "helping" at a car crash. Unless their life is endanger from fire,sinking in a lake etc.You don't want to move them.

When we cut that woman out we had first stabilized the car, placed a collar on her, had backboard in place,and had many hands to gently lower her in a controlled manor.

I would also be very carefull about "helping" at a car crash. Unless their life is endanger from fire,sinking in a lake etc.You don't want to move them

:thumbup: Glad someone brought this up .. I tend to forget sometimes and think it goes without saying ...

TAPIR said:
What does the foum think is the best edc to help in a rescue situation mayby a car crash?I have got a Smith and Wesson 1st Responce.

The S&W is not a bad knife. It is very sharp out of the box and if you use it just for rescue situations it will last a long time.
Make sure the punch is not stored fully cocked as this may damage the spring over time. The punch works well but if you have to break a lot of glass the cheap dedicated spring loaded ones are best. I can do five or more windows with a spring loaded one in about the time it takes to cock the S&W, break something, and cock it again. (It might be faster without heavy gloves on but I don't want anybody to have to rescue me.)

I've been looking at the Spyderco Assist which comes with a punch and a whistle, but no point.

Back