EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Ruuk.co FIK
Michael Morris Friction Folder
Northeast Oddities domino

quhmqNH.jpg

I hope you all are having a wonderful May Day and great weekend. Today, I am doubly happy. I got the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine and I am carrying this knife I got yesterday. Edgeoflife Edgeoflife every once and a while would share his great looking 0393 which I was secretly coveting and I knew I would need a 0393 in my life. Well this one is my new carry knife and is now firmly in my rotation. While running chores this morning I dropped the knife into the pavement and chipped the carbon fiber scales in a few spots. Oh, well. I am still having a great day. I’ll just tell myself the chips add to the working finish of the knife.

Im still lovin the 0393 just also love to rotate lol. To many knives... nice one you scored there with the CF/SW finish! :thumbsup:

I should change and get something done on this fine afternoon, but I'm still in my gym clothes after this morning's workout and a bunch of household chores and feeling a bit complacent after picking up my check from my March project. I've been toting around some Cheburkov goodness with my Strizh loose in my nylon pants pocket and the Hudson in its slip in my zippered sweatshirt. Plenty to like here with super-sharp M390 and Vanadis8, nicely stonewashed blades and Ti, along with some of the most-gorgeous/nicest-to-the-touch CF I've ever held. 😁

GgaKJWz.jpg

CBEo0z5.jpg

w8Rqdq3.jpg
Does the tang on the Hudson have a detent ramp?

Does the tang on the Hudson have a detent ramp?
Funny you should ask, as I had written earlier that it does but later examination had led me to believe that it doesn't. Looking again, now, I find that the configuration of the lock release relative to the detent ball riding up onto the blade tang is unlike those on other frame- or liner-locks that I have observed. On my Olamics, for example--Wayfarer 247 and Rainmaker frame locks--their detent ball ramps are of the conventional sort for that feature, with tapering v-notches cut into the edge of the blade tangs' lock ramps.

The Hudson has an additional narrow facet cut into the blade tang at a right angle to and behind the lock ramp so that when one disengages the lockbar the detent ball engages the tang at the far corner of that secondary facet. At that point of engagement the lockside face of the blade tang is flat-beveled, forming a detent ball ramp. While one can feel the ball hit that far corner of the tang, the lift to the lock ramp is slight to the extent of being inconsequential. A couple features of this design that make disengagement additionally smooth and easy are, 1, the proximity of the ball to the tang which gets it up and into its arc before the flipper tab hits one's thumb, and, 2, the detent ball hitting the tang at a right angle to the blade which provides much better leverage to overcome any resistance. Very clever design.

Anyway, and after all that, the answer is YES. 😉

Sometimes you learn by asking questions and other times by having to answer them, the latter being the case above in my response to Freedom Pullo Freedom Pullo 's query about the Hudson which not only had me discovering details about that knife but also had me examining my other Cheburkov's after the fact. Indeed, both the Voron and Scout have similarly designed disengagements/detent ramps which I only just discovered after figuring out my Hudson this morning.

Anyway, getting back on topic for this thread, I took this partial family portrait of my three big brother Cheburkov's (with apologies to little brother Strizh that's not similarly configured) and will make today's carry appropriate for Scout Sunday.

sZ9iaV7.jpg

Back