EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Snagged a Hogue Deka, I can’t get enough of it right now.
c5a66b60-3c07-41e8-b089-45c63029bc94.jpeg

Naw, we’ve always had a couple carpenters that work with us taking care of rental properties and other projects. I’ve helped them when needed so I’ve picked up on things over the years but I would in no way say I’m a carpenter

Edit: I remember one year we were building a couple barns and I helped them during the day then worked electrical at nights and picked up on several things. @Sharp & Fiery ChazzyP ChazzyP does “long 6” mean anything to y’all on a speed square? It was prolly 12yrs ago but I think that’s what I remember. I was cutting rafters for them. I know terms can vary from region to region tho
Not a term I'm familiar with, despite living on the hypotenuse for my long career with roof and stair layout and cutting skills particularly well developed weapons in my carpentry arsenal. The ubiquitous 7-inch pocket speed square is a wicked handy tool and has a dedicated slot in my nail bag rig, though it's really too small for rafter work. The larger Big12 model works for the depth of New England roofing framing stock and our steeper pitches with the old-school framing square the most accurate for primary layout when cutting pattern rafters, either of those two tools with one or two stair gauges attached as appropriate.

Anyway, maybe those rafters you remember were for a 6/12 pitch roof, the "long 6" being the seat or horizontal cut, the "short 6" being the heel or plumb cut.

More on topic, while considering I'm responding to D, I'll go with my large 31 for Micarta Monday. It's wicked snotty here on Cape today with driving rain and gusty winds again, so I'll go neither venture out in the wet nor fight the bad light and go with some file pics from a better day.

Bxm9mR3.jpg

EjXg1NW.jpg

Back