1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by rycen, Apr 20, 2018.

1. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Switched from the Kershaw Starkey Ridge XXL to a Kershaw Lahar (1750). The knife is a manual flipper and the descriptions of the knife claim that it is supposed to be opened 1/4 way w/the flipper the the rest of the way w/a wrist flick BUT I can easily open the knife fully only using the flipper.

I believe it is one of the few knives that Kershaw ever made w/VG10 blade steel. It was made in Japan (as many Kershaws were in the late 90's and early 2000's) and the highly polished blade is similar in appearance, length & shape w/the blade on the commemorative Steven Seagal (1680) that I also own, which was made w/AUS-8 steel (which arguably doesn't matter because the Seagal knife was never designed to be used in the 1st place).

Back to the Lahar, it is similar in size made by Kershaw in the same time period, including the Junkyard Dog(1725), Rake (1780), Cyclone (1630) and Compound/Tremor (1940/1950), which is to say w/a 3.5" blade and a 5" handle and weighing about 5-6" ounces. I also own all of these knives as well. Not light weights by any means but really sturdy knives suitable for heavy use.

The Lahar and any of these other Kershaws could easily serve as my EDC for life w/o the need to ever buy another knife but, then, what would be the "fun" of that. LOL! ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Argle, ScooterG, Pharmagator and 14 others like this.
  2. cabdmd

cabdmd Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 17, 2010
  3. Edgeoflife

Edgeoflife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 11, 2018
    You got my attention. More info?

4. Edgeoflife

Edgeoflife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 11, 2018
    IMG_3587.jpg IMG_3585.JPG I picked up these unique looking scales recently for one of my griptilians with the intention of using some barrel spacers i had instead of the glowing backspacer however I find i kinda like it! The scales are more substantial with added traction over the stockers while being a little thinner overall on the knife. They feel pretty good in hand and are definitely an improvement.

5. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Some Spyderco D2 for the weekend.
    [​IMG]

6. TenShun705

TenShun705 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Thanks bro, she has her moments, usually a handful, but always worth it. Hoping to pass down all my knives to her one day lol.

Edgeoflife, TheFactor and Fullflat like this.
  7. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Sweet. More scale info?

Edgeoflife and Fullflat like this.
  8. willywall

willywall

Jun 21, 2016
    Wow man nice work. The coloring on the titanium is amazing, very interesting.

9. thefrank

thefrank Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Benchmade Proper with copper Flytanium covers

[​IMG]

Jpd0144, paulhilborn, Lee D and 15 others like this.
  10. rswanson

rswanson

Jun 10, 2011
    Planted, trimmed, hauled, cleaned, mulched, and repaired...in no particular order. Hope everyone is enjoying a pleasant Memorial Day weekend.

[​IMG]

11. ronin.graves

ronin.graves Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Looks great. I went with the Flytanium in Brass:
    [​IMG]

Great choice in lights too:
    [​IMG]

12. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    What was that thing on the spine of the Starkey Ridge? Is it some kind of bic lighter style flipper opener or something?

Fullflat and Pharmagator like this.
  13. pehota

pehota

Feb 9, 2015
    [​IMG]

14. HFinn

HFinn

Sep 6, 2012
    Fox/Bastinelli friction folder I modified, turned a wharncliffe in to a sheepfoot. Shortened also the handle accordingly.

[​IMG]

15. Zenturio

Zenturio

Aug 7, 2017
    Guess what? ;)

[​IMG]

16. lzeplin

lzeplin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2012
  17. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Tuff Lite?

Fullflat and Zenturio like this.
  18. Keyman

Keyman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 26, 2001
    Those came from me.
    Awesome grips there.

Fullflat, Edgeoflife and Pharmagator like this.
  19. Pharmagator

Pharmagator Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    It is a Maserin AM-2. They also are made with carbon fiber scales and lightning strike carbon fiber. My version is bocote wood... Very high quality fit and finish...

fyi avoid the Maserin AM-4 with the wood-inlays... Poorly finished

Fullflat and Edgeoflife like this.
  20. Keyman

Keyman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 26, 2001
    Those are Keyman Customs.
    That’s contoured black paper micarta scales with a diamond eye’s texturing and a GITD back spacer.
    These textured surface sets of scales are much more difficult to make. Normally the scale material comes in perfectly flat slabs, easy. That’s not the case here, one side of each slab is not only textured, but also contoured to the edges (with either a 1/8 or 1/16 drop).
    These differences require different procedures in order to create the precise holes and counter bores
    that are required for a working set of scales.
    Love those scales....there’s nothing grippier.