EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Switched from the Kershaw Starkey Ridge XXL to a Kershaw Lahar (1750). The knife is a manual flipper and the descriptions of the knife claim that it is supposed to be opened 1/4 way w/the flipper the the rest of the way w/a wrist flick BUT I can easily open the knife fully only using the flipper.

I believe it is one of the few knives that Kershaw ever made w/VG10 blade steel. It was made in Japan (as many Kershaws were in the late 90's and early 2000's) and the highly polished blade is similar in appearance, length & shape w/the blade on the commemorative Steven Seagal (1680) that I also own, which was made w/AUS-8 steel (which arguably doesn't matter because the Seagal knife was never designed to be used in the 1st place).

Back to the Lahar, it is similar in size made by Kershaw in the same time period, including the Junkyard Dog(1725), Rake (1780), Cyclone (1630) and Compound/Tremor (1940/1950), which is to say w/a 3.5" blade and a 5" handle and weighing about 5-6" ounces. I also own all of these knives as well. Not light weights by any means but really sturdy knives suitable for heavy use.

The Lahar and any of these other Kershaws could easily serve as my EDC for life w/o the need to ever buy another knife but, then, what would be the "fun" of that. LOL! ;)

e7d0b322878716a5b1b70ab078db70c8_zps5af62510.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_3587.jpg IMG_3585.JPG I picked up these unique looking scales recently for one of my griptilians with the intention of using some barrel spacers i had instead of the glowing backspacer however I find i kinda like it! The scales are more substantial with added traction over the stockers while being a little thinner overall on the knife. They feel pretty good in hand and are definitely an improvement.

View attachment 1134818 View attachment 1134820 I picked up these unique looking scales recently for one of my griptilians with the intention of using some barrel spacers i had instead of the glowing backspacer however I find i kinda like it! The scales are more substantial with added traction over the stockers while being a little thinner overall on the knife. They feel pretty good in hand and are definitely an improvement.
Sweet. More scale info?

Switched from the Kershaw Starkey Ridge XXL to a Kershaw Lahar (1750). The knife is a manual flipper and the descriptions of the knife claim that it is supposed to be opened 1/4 way w/the flipper the the rest of the way w/a wrist flick BUT I can easily open the knife fully only using the flipper.

I believe is one of the few knives that Kershaw ever made w/VG10 blade steel. It was made in Japan (as many Kershaws were in the late 90's and early 2000's) and the highly polished blade is similar in appearance, length & shape w/the blade on the commemorative Steven Seagal (1680) that I also own, which was made w/AUS-8 steel (which arguably doesn't matter because the Seagal knife was never designed to be used in the 1st place).

Back to the Lahar, it is similar in size made by Kershaw in the same time period, including the Junkyard Dog(1725), Rake (1780), Cyclone (1630) and Compound/Tremor (1940/1950), which is to say w/a 3.5" blade and a 5" handle and weighing about 5-6" ounces. Not light weights by any means but really sturdy knives suitable for heavy use.

The Lahar and any of these other Kershaws could easily serve as my EDC for life w/o the need to ever buy another knife but, then, what would be the "fun" of that. LOL! ;)

e7d0b322878716a5b1b70ab078db70c8_zps5af62510.jpg

What was that thing on the spine of the Starkey Ridge? Is it some kind of bic lighter style flipper opener or something?

Last edited:
View attachment 1134818 View attachment 1134820 I picked up these unique looking scales recently for one of my griptilians with the intention of using some barrel spacers i had instead of the glowing backspacer however I find i kinda like it! The scales are more substantial with added traction over the stockers while being a little thinner overall on the knife. They feel pretty good in hand and are definitely an improvement.
Those came from me.
Awesome grips there.

Sweet. More scale info?
Those are Keyman Customs.
That’s contoured black paper micarta scales with a diamond eye’s texturing and a GITD back spacer.
These textured surface sets of scales are much more difficult to make. Normally the scale material comes in perfectly flat slabs, easy. That’s not the case here, one side of each slab is not only textured, but also contoured to the edges (with either a 1/8 or 1/16 drop).
These differences require different procedures in order to create the precise holes and counter bores
that are required for a working set of scales.
Love those scales....there’s nothing grippier.

Back