1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

EDCing the Crooked River?

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by BMCGear, May 24, 2016.

1. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Looking at getting one of these knives. I'm curious if anyone has found this knife too big to EDC or does it work pretty well in that role? What are your experiences with the knife in an EDC role?

I'm also curious if the orange could be removed?

2. blades&wrenches

blades&wrenches Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I havent EDCd it a lot since its fairly new to me, but here's what ive gathered so far. While it is a big knife, it carries pretty well for its size. Fairly light for a big mass, so weight I dont feel is cumbersome. If you like bigger knives I doubt youll have any issue with carrying it. I tend to not go over 3.5" blade, and i didnt have an issue the couple times ive carried it in RFP.
    As far as the orange goes, keyman has used standoffs (from where IDK), and ive seen one or two people dye the G-10 to more resemble the wood color.
    Cheers! Hope this helps.

3. Mick_1KRR

Mick_1KRR

May 1, 2016
    Been EDCing the G10 model since it arrived, while it's a large knife it almost carries better than my regular large griptilian because it's so slim. It's a fantastic knife, one of the best benchmade has put out in my opinion. It's up there with the 940 series, 710 and stryker. So comfortable to hold and so much blade but not too much.

[​IMG]

4. Slipperyfish

Slipperyfish

Apr 6, 2014
    Just picked one up today and carried in slacks. Little large for that, so I'll stick to my peanut at work. However I do see myself carrying it on weekends and evenings when wearing jeans. It's a huge knife, think full size Emerson, but carries smaller than it is. I'm digging it. Went with grey G10 because I didn't like the orange with the wood. May try and dye it with some rit, but I don't want to be the first to do it.

5. Tommythewho

Tommythewho

Aug 21, 2011
    . May try and dye it with some rit, but I don't want to be the first to do it.[/QUOTE]

Saw a dye. Job on Youtube . think it was. an Apostle P vid

6. Slipperyfish

Slipperyfish

Apr 6, 2014
    Thanks Tommy, I'll check it out. I've had good success with FRN and micarta. Just a little nervous with the G10. If I do I'll post pics. Might have to scratch it up a little first though.

7. 45Wheelgun

45Wheelgun The Sharpest Knife in the Drawer

Feb 28, 2014
    It was ghetto Apostle P video and it looked great. Nice review as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

8. dw32005

dw32005

May 4, 2016
    Wondering if one of these would fit in a 110 cross draw. Been eyeballing one of these pretty hard.

9. BMCGear

Jan 4, 2014
    I appreciate the feedback. I have ordered one. I have EDC'd a 710 before and because of its slimness it carried much smaller. Can't wait to try this one!

10. WHT

WHT Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2016
    The one negative factor that I found with the Crooked River is that the axis lock is considerably stiffer than any other Benchmade that I own. It is comparable, in stiffness, to the lock on my Barrage. For that reason, and only for that reason, I decided not to buy one. It is an elegant knife.

11. John_0917

John_0917

Apr 15, 2014
    I have handled the grey G10 version, it's quite nice and really does seem like a modern iteration of the Buck 110. I have to say though, the orange pivot rung and back spacer look RIDICULOUS...they aren't even the same color as each other.

12. jazub

jazub Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2010
    It is a large knife but surprisingly easy to carry -probably due in part to its slim/not tall profile. I dig it, big time.

Regarding the orange, I love it and wish there was even more orange. I can't get enough orange! :eek:

13. Keyman

Keyman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 26, 2001
    Yup, I got rid of the orange on mine.
    I love a 710 too, this carries a little bigger than a 710 though.
    It's a little longer and just as slim except the pivot area is a tad larger.
    Still, it's an easy carry for such a large knife.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. BMCGear

Jan 4, 2014
    How did you get rid of the orange pivot?

15. Keyman

Keyman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 26, 2001
    Gotta get rid of the bolster's to do that.

16. blades&wrenches

blades&wrenches Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Keyman, are the standoffs readily available or trim to fit, if you dont mind me asking.

17. Keyman

Mar 26, 2001
    Trim to fit.

18. BMCGear

Jan 4, 2014
    The bolsters part of the charm. I may have to live with the orange. Who knows, in person, I may actually like it.

19. BMCGear

Jan 4, 2014
    This should be in my pocket tonight. :)

20. Keyman

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, I hear you.
    It was for me too......for a little while.
    However, they are aluminum and I do like making scales. :rolleyes: