Edge Pro Magnet Hack (L@@k Ma, No Hands!)

NRA

One thing I dislike about the Edge Pro's and clones, is the fact, the knife must be constantly administered to, like a disobedient neighbors pit bull, that has a mind of its own.

Today, I tamed my Ede Pro Clone. 4 very strong magnets out of computer hard drives. Knife will stay on the platform all by itself.

Next hack? Add a built in digital Angle Cube.

what's next? I am going to blend an Edge Pro Cone, with the jaws off of a KME system.

12847775593_3841f4ff8d_c.jpg

Do they sell magnets like that online?
By the way, other than the quality of the stones, is the fake edge pro relatively the same in performance?

#217 in RyanW's 2014 Giveaway

The magnets that HDD's use are earth magnets. The fake edge pro is cheap in quality and from what I hear the stones are junk and not worth using from the reviews I've read of it. It's better to just spend a little bit more for a lanskys, DMT Aligner, etc. Beyond that, that's a pretty smart mod NRA. If you get the KME integrated into it your going to have to stop calling it a edge pro clone but a frakenstein sharpener, custom, etc.

The clone is pretty nice, and I am a quality hound. The Apex clone is sub par, but the new kits, with the single large vacuum base and pretty nice.

I upgraded stones from sources like Amazon.

I get magnets from a place down the street.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Miscellaneous/Magnets/COMPUTER-HARD-DRIVE-DISC-MAGNET-ASSY-1-3258.axd

Amazon has lots of magnets. Fill the space under the ledge with these, and your knife will stay put. Each magnet holds 14 pounds.

http://www.amazon.com/CMS-Magnetics..._sim_hi_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=03Q0B765H328506JHCRQ

Last edited:
Your right it was the Apex clone I looked at before, I didn't notice that difference when I read and looked at your post. Yours I haven't even read up on that one so I guess I can't comment on it.

I'm liking these mods you've been doing lately. Can't wait to see the KME/EP hybrid. :thumbup:

Magnets help with keeping the knife still on the table. But some of my knives require the use of a riser block. So, I cut a slot in a jointing biscuit, to fit a small rare earth magnet. Then held in position on the table with painter's tape as shown in the EP instructional video (there are more magnets under the table). Doesn't look pretty but works well.

goYG1NH.jpg

It doesn't show it but the edge is near mirror. You can clearly read text in the edge reflection. I'd say I got that AUS6 steel pretty damned sharp. I used the original stones for this knife though I have congress stones as well. I like the congress stones better but the stones that come with it can produce very good results. I just figured the chinese stones would suck so I ordered the congress stones at the same time. I don't really need them but they are a little easier to use as they don't load up as quickly as the chinese stones.

If I had the knives with me, I'd show what can be done to S110V, S60V, 154CM, CPM154, D2, etc. I'm pretty damned happy.

As far as the magnets, I bought some strong little magnets off of amazon for like 12 bucks. It was a pack of six .25 inch cubed magnets rated at n48. They work well.

My hack is nondistructive, magnets sit under the platform in a nice spot where there is a 1" x 2" area. My apex clone has a smaller space due to the front folding legs. I did not mag hack that one. I use the apex clone for parts for the other one

This is an old trick. I've had a neomag under my EP for years. I find it to be "essential" as I hated using the EP without a mag.

I put a modification on the trunk of a Saville, years ago. Figured I had the only one. Then on CNN one day, I see a unrelated story with my car in Japan.

There is nothing new under the sun.

Thanks. That single small wimpy magnet is like a cat washing itself with one lick. Sure it is making the motion, but it is under served. (video below)

To hold the knife in place, you need about ten of those small magnets.

This is a good source of powerful magnets. Measure the space you have, and order the biggest, most powerful one that fits.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp

[video=youtube_share;9vx1dmhYypY]http://youtu.be/9vx1dmhYypY[/video]

The magnet from CKTG is more than strong enough. Why would you need such a powerful magnet?

Glad I discovered this, I can't even seem to keep the knife still on mine when I sharpen, time to order some mags on Amazon.

At 1:11 seconds into the video, the knife almost falls off the edge pro table. Then the guy says it is not 100% but good enough.

In my eyes, if something is not 100%, keep searching for better solutions.

My knife will pick up the edge pro and not let go, if it is not fastened to a table. That is the kind of extra help I am looking for.

This should fit an Edge Pro Pro Clone, (with a little dremel work?)

Will this fit a Oregon manufactured Edge Pro?

If you sandwiched steel plates between the magnets, it magnifies the magnetic field, increasing it sharply.

This magnet already advertises a 30 pound pull. Going through plastic, it might loose about half the pull. Two or three of these, should keep any knife blade in place, so you could do one handed sharpening.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY084

BY084L.jpg

Back