Educate me on the Puukko.

I have this one inbound.

Photo shamelessly swiped from website until it arrives.
IMG_0205-M.jpg

Blade length just over 3"

Last edited:
Could anyone offer advice/opinion on the knives made by Finland's Pasi Hurttila?

Woah. I’ve never seen a two puukkos in on sheath setup before. Very cool! And, beautiful knives, too!

Could anyone offer advice/opinion on the knives made by Finland's Pasi Hurttila?

I own two of them and am a fan.

FytfQH8h.jpg

The top one is a Tuohipää Puukko made in 2017. The bottom is a Maasepän Puukko made in 2018. I don’t have handmade puukkos from other makers to compare to, but these are both very nice and I’m very happy with both purchases.

I’ve used the top one for a fair amount of spoon carving and have really enjoyed it. The craftsmanship on knife and sheath is outstanding. The edge has held up well and has been easy to maintain. It’s comfortable in hand and has a nice weight. I plan to take it into the woods with me on my next backpacking trip.

I bought the other with its smaller blade to take over spoon carving duties, but haven’t had a chance to use it much yet. I expect that it will do quite well. I plan to remove its very small (micro?) bevel, but haven’t gotten around to that yet.

Thanks Greg! I've gotten on his notification list. Your information is much appreciated.

He is a very nice person, makes beautiful knives, lives in a very remote area, and knows what and how a knife should be and do and look.

His website/blog is very interesting with great stories of wilderness trips in Finland and photos, including forging blades and making knives.

He doesnt make a lot of knives, so grab one if you ever have a chance.

The puukko is my favorite style of knife. His knives are my favorite.

One could make a strong case the puukko is the ultimate refinement of a wilderness knife. And masur birch is one of the most beautiful handle materials in the universe.

Here is a puukko I made from a Lauri blade and a solid piece of gabon ebony and some elbow grease! Not quite up to Pasi standards, but the ebony handle is pretty sweet in the hand. The ebony was not very difficult to drill or sand, and I would use ebony again for a knife.

12C5DF2D-A5D7-4B9E-8716-E6499539106E.jpeg

He is a very nice person, makes beautiful knives, lives in a very remote area, and knows what and how a knife should be and do and look.

His website/blog is very interesting with great stories of wilderness trips in Finland and photos, including forging blades and making knives.

He doesnt make a lot of knives, so grab one if you ever have a chance.

The puukko is my favorite style of knife. His knives are my favorite.

One could make a strong case the puukko is the ultimate refinement of a wilderness knife. And masur birch is one of the most beautiful handle materials in the universe.

Here is a puukko I made from a Lauri blade and a solid piece of gabon ebony and some elbow grease! Not quite up to Pasi standards, but the ebony handle is pretty sweet in the hand. The ebony was not very difficult to drill or sand, and I would use ebony again for a knife.

View attachment 959029
That is a very attractive knife! Quite fond of ebony. Yes I've been following his "life in the north" accounts. What a winter wonderland! Thanks for the response Elgato.

Fodderwing Fodderwing : grab one of his puukkos whenever you can. I've been buying knives from him since 2010 and plan to keep on doing it, as long as he will craft.
Being one of the two writers of the Nordiskaknivar blog I have quite a few knives going through my hands for review, but Pasi's ones are still the ones with which I have the best feeling due to the way he shapes the handles and of the extremely balanced way his blades perform.
There are puukkos crafted by other makers that have a higher fit and finish, while his is already high, or an even more aggressive bite, but that, for me, fail to have the same comfort, thus being a bit less eanjoyable or controllable during work or fail to have the same blade stability etc. After all knives are always scompromises, so other smiths will favour other things.

Speaking of steel, he does all the heat treatment on the charcoal forge, by eye and experience. Consider that if you'll buy something in K510 (silversteel) it will be around 60 HRC, while if in 80CrV2 it will be more in 62 HRC range.

Looks nice. I've crafted several using Lauri blades; I prefer their PT blades.
Rich'

Back