Elastic Ceramic knife - 2,350 cuts by Cedric & Ada

Good, I'm glad I got corrected. This is indeed fantastic. :D

I'm guessing the necker might cost more because thicker stock of the material will be much more difficult to work with? Either way, we're gonna need a Shard run with this stuff. :thumbsup:
Yes, thicker stock=more $$$. And absolutely needing a Shard, that's for sure.

...aaand I just placed a pre-order on a Shark. 4 weeks is going to feel like a month. ;)

Good job on the new video btw - looking forward to your sharpening tutorial...

Yes, thicker stock=more $$$. And absolutely needing a Shard, that's for sure.

Hell yea, brother! Let me know when the Shards are out in HIC. I will take 2!

...aaand I just placed a pre-order on a Shark. 4 weeks is going to feel like a month. ;)

Good job on the new video btw - looking forward to your sharpening tutorial...

Nice! I may or may not have pre-ordered one or two. :D

I just pre-ordered a Shark and a Barracuda S!

K KKnives_Swiss would you consider selling the appropriate sharpening supplies in your online shop? That would make buying the right products easier and you could get them at the same time as ordering a knife.
Yes Sir, working on it. In the meantime, Check out "practicalsharpening Diamond films" (Not sure if I am allowed to link to external shops?)

Looks very nice, I'm interested but shipping is rather high to where I live, I think I'm going to wait and see how it goes.

Looks very nice, I'm interested but shipping is rather high to where I live, I think I'm going to wait and see how it goes.
Yeah, the shipping around the world is higher than I would like, but nothing I/we can do about it besides maybe one day having a US hub or something.

Yeah, the shipping around the world is higher than I would like, but nothing I/we can do about it besides maybe one day having a US hub or something.
I have a sister in law in Zurich but I'm not sure it would help overall, I'd end up paying the shipping and sales tax.

K KKnives_Swiss
You should sell sharpening kits! I would have ordered one with my order if you had them available. Mo money mo money mo money! You could make more profit on selling sharpening kits than the knives themselves! You become the drug maker and dealer with an army of hooked junkies chasing the edge dragon.

Sooooooooooo Spyderco did some initial Catra testing and Sal said it was “Up there with the super steels”. So, this is not just unsubstantiated internet bravado now.
Non magnetic
Non corrosion
More tough than other ceramics
Cuts up there with the best of of them.

I purchased a couple of these.

They are good kitchen knives. Thy handle meat and vegetables well. I've never felt any concern about damage, though I've only used them on soft things and plastic chopping boards. It's kind of weird how they perform.

They have trouble slicing tomato - that is, they slide across the skin, and take some pressure and sawing motion to penetrate.

But when it comes to the crusts of tough, crusty bread (like Italian bread) and vegetables like cucumber, they slice through them almost like they don't exist. You develop a kind of muscle memory cutting these things, so you expect a certain amount of resistance. When I use these knives that resistance just isn't there, like there is nothing solid beneath the knife's edge.

I can't explain why it seems a little blunt on something like tomato, and the sharpest knife I own on things like bread and cucumber.

Is it something to do with being a 'smooth' edge rather than a 'toothy' edge?

IMG-8126.jpg

I am jealous! still waiting on mine. I notice that tomatoes usually like at least a tiny bit of toothy edge to grip the skin to cut.

Is it something to do with being a 'smooth' edge rather than a 'toothy' edge?
I think so - and the extra thin stock is what helps it glide through material so easily. The edge on mine was certainly polished, however it also wasn’t super sharp on arrival so I did a light stropping on some diamond film. This brought it up from “hair scraping” to “arm shaving” sharp and it’s maintained that sharpness level now for several weeks of regular use.
Can’t remember which of us thought of it but my wife and I have been calling it the space knife as it would be perfect for astronauts - super light, non-magnetic, non-reactive/corrosive, and no need for a sharpener in the space station.

Sooooooooooo Spyderco did some initial Catra testing and Sal said it was “Up there with the super steels”. So, this is not just unsubstantiated internet bravado now.
You trust Sal more than the internet??

That’s an interesting comment - I suppose he couldn’t say “performed well beyond our best super steels in edge retention”. ;)

I would trust Sal more than Santa or the Pope. Catra is a good data point and interesting because it has silica mixed with paper so correct me if I am wrong but I guess large carbide steels like D2 work better for that material and score higher than would in real life and the sisal or manila rope or cardboard test is a good test for more real life imho. The real test is what you as the user actually cut though. The regular ceramic will cut the sisal rope around 250 cuts and this material beat it by 2100 cuts!!! That’s a factor of 8!!!! The video does not lie. Silica probably is more wearing on ceramic than steel due to the carbides. It is a different animal and even if it did the Catra testing and kept its own on the super steels it is still a game changer. Roman from Kase knives said he has an even harder version that will probably do better in the Catra but it will have trade offs.

Wanted to bump this old thread to see if any of you Rahven knife owners have some longer term impressions, particularly of the chef's knives. ~$100 to test something with crazy retention seems like a fun buy.

I also wonder if there's a niche in the Ultralight hiking market EC knives could go after. Something small like an opinel no 6 (34g / 1.2 oz) seems pretty popular so quite small margins to work with, but the Pilot L is the same weight with a 5cm longer blade.. not folding so not a true comparison but still, maybe there's something there.

Back