Elusive Schrades

Are you a sailor?? Depending on the size of the rope, spikes/picks/awls may not have to be very large!!
I once ground down an old screwdriver shaft to a dull point - made a perfect spike complete with handle!!
Not a sailor, but I like tying things tight, and happen to do that ridiculously often, though in regular life, so no need for a big spike, I agree. A medium sized knot untying pick would not be a novelty, but a necessity.

oops sorry, I never finished, I was just thinking that Schrade didn't make a different punch and if you compare yours to another Punch that machining -or- hollowing just needs to come down more- I wasn't saying the knife didn't come out with a punch :)
Its weird you can line up so many Punches from the same manufacturer- this time we are talking about Schrade, and there would be so many slight variations to the punch - in a small way, yours is just gone a bit further. I don't think Schrade made a different punch like that- well not that we have seen anyway. :) :thumbsup: :)

What do you mean? Didn’t make a punch at all or didn’t make one with the rough end grind like that. I did google the 899 pattern prior to getting this one and it seemed to indicate the 899 had a punch on it.

I think from the looks of the photo that perhaps someone ground the punch flatter from the nail tab side for whatever reason.

Eric

This one hasn't seen the light of day for quite a while; Mis-filed (common for me!)!!!
No. 8323B is a 4" Equal End whittler, with wedged springs!! Nice Peachseed bone, and crocus polished blades!!
(Attn: Luger1952 Luger1952 and galvanic1882 galvanic1882 and ea42 ea42 );)
Appears in the 1936 "E" catalog supplement!!
Schrade adopted the Empire Banner shield occasionally, after Empire went out of business ca. 1929!!!
EE whit 8323B 2.jpgEE whit 8323B 3.jpgEE whit 8323B 4.jpg

Last edited:
Charlie, as our good friend Rob shared, that Knife is just stunning! So interesting that Schrade adopted the Empire Shield at times!
Thanks Duncan!! They did a few plain ones like this, but most are "enhanced" with borders and text!! (Borrowed pic)Empire Shielded Schrade Heritage Barlows.jpg
Charlie, I don't guess there are too many of those floating around! 🤩
Makes a person feel lucky, when they find a seemingly one of a kind knife!! I'm sure there are more, but I've only seen this one!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This one hasn't seen the light of day for quite a while; Mis-filed (common for me!)!!!
No. 8323B is a 4" Equal End whittler, with wedged springs!! Nice Peachseed bone, and crocus polished blades!!
(Attn: Luger1952 Luger1952 and galvanic1882 galvanic1882 and ea42 ea42 );)
Appears in the 1936 "E" catalog supplement!!
Schrade adopted the Empire Banner shield occasionally, after Empire went out of business ca. 1929!!!
View attachment 2519056View attachment 2519058View attachment 2519061

Charlie that's a beautiful example!! I've got his brother hanging out here with me. Didnt want to risk opening that other blade at the same time😶‍🌫️:

20240303_151256.jpg

20240303_151310.jpg

Eric

Thank you Charlie, ok- "click" I have seen and owned the example you have shown me kind Sir- Thank you for that ! :) :thumbsup:

Eric you are right- those two that you and Charlie have are such a great Blade combination! Amazing Knives.

Eric with your History within the walls of these firms, are you able to decipher the sales coding in Ink? Not only the ( for example on your knife) 8323B ( love the very tidy handwriting and stylized "B") but the other marking with the inverted comma's and Letters?

Thank you Charlie, ok- "click" I have seen and owned the example you have shown me kind Sir- Thank you for that ! :) :thumbsup:

Eric you are right- those two that you and Charlie have are such a great Blade combination! Amazing Knives.

Eric with your History within the walls of these firms, are you able to decipher the sales coding in Ink? Not only the ( for example on your knife) 8323B ( love the very tidy handwriting and stylized "B") but the other marking with the inverted comma's and Letters?
Duncan those hieroglyphics are a complete mystery to me! I've been wondering about it for years and never had a chance to ask either Dave S. Or Wally. There are still a couple of folks from late in that era who may have an idea and as soon as I see them I'll be sure to ask. I've seen those same figures next to some images in a newer AG Russell catalog reprint that I found in the factory so someone there was still using them in the eighties or maybe later for some reason or another. Here's an example of a page I was referring to in that catalog:

20240304_135550.jpg

Eric

Thank you for that Eric, yes I have the same in my Catalog E Book as well, I thought that perhaps a previous owner of my Catalog may have done that so perhaps these were in the original when this edition was reprinted it seems. Thank you once again Eric :) :thumbsup: Very much appreciated.

Back