emerson break in tips?

I just got a mini commander, plain edged all black and I seem to be liking everything except that the lock up is sticky at 70-80 on a normal thumb opening and the lockup is almost stuck at 90-100 when waved. the blade is centered and stiff so im not sure if its the liners fault or the stop pin but any tips would be helpful. Thanks!

Use it a lot, open and close it a lot and try using an old school pencil to shade in the edge of the lock bar that meets the tang.

Just use it. And oil the washers a little bit. The smoother the action, the sooner it will break in.

As long as the knife is locked and doesn't close on you when used, don't worry about it and just... use it.

Just use it. And oil the washers a little bit. The smoother the action, the sooner it will break in.

As long as the knife is locked and doesn't close on you when used, don't worry about it and just... use it.
Lockbar won't move over? I called emerson's line and the rep said it won't move over but titanium on steel makes me just a bit apprehensive.

been using the knife to break it in and the lock already moved from 90 to 100% in the past day. this isn't normal, is it?

If the lock bar is already touching the oposite liner... Well... It shouldn't. So I would send it in.

Even though titanium is softer than hardened steel, the amount of rub actually happening between lockbar and blades is very little. Is not going to wear noticeably with any reasonable amount of use... BUT if it is ALREADY there...

I had the opposite problem–the lock bar would barely engage with the tang and easily came unlocked. I sent it in to Emerson and the lockup is solid and secure now.

If the lock bar is already touching the oposite liner... Well... It shouldn't. So I would send it in.

Even though titanium is softer than hardened steel, the amount of rub actually happening between lockbar and blades is very little. Is not going to wear noticeably with any reasonable amount of use... BUT if it is ALREADY there...
Yeah it’s not touching the other liner YET but the liner lock is now partially hanging off the end of the lock face of the blade. I’d say 105%-110% lockup now, if that makes sense. I called the Emerson rep and he said the liner wouldnt move but it did so I guess I got to send it in? Sigh...

Cabbagejazz, ask mods to move this to the EMERSON subforum, and modify the title to relate to this particular problem.

You will get a ton of feedback. Ernest Emerson himself participates often in that subforum.

I would send it!

You might try adjusting the pivot screw to see if that makes any difference, but if it keeps the blade from inadvertently closing, I wouldn't worry about it. Emersons are built to take a lot of hard use.

If that was new I'd send it back, but if well used that's what liners do as they wear in - it still looks like its locking up securely.
That being said, Emerson can replace the liner (whether they will charge you or not I have no idea.)

Cabbagejazz, ask mods to move this to the EMERSON subforum, and modify the title to relate to this particular problem.

You will get a ton of feedback. Ernest Emerson himself participates often in that subforum.

I would send it!
I would both send it and ask the mods but I’m a dumb stoner so I didn’t realize that I didn’t do the math correctly to manage my budget this month to make this purchase and eat the rest of the month. So I’ve got no money to ship it for warranty. I also don’t know what the mods are and how to ask them for stuff. I literally just joined the bladeforums because I saw a cheap “lnib” Emerson late one night, around the amateur hour, and didn’t realize there was no lock up picture so here we are what a rollercoaster of emotions

If that was new I'd send it back, but if well used that's what liners do as they wear in - it still looks like its locking up securely.
That being said, Emerson can replace the liner (whether they will charge you or not I have no idea.)
It was new...? I think. That’s what the post here on the forums said. It looked like it had a factory edge, no scratches on anything except the stop pin. The stop pin seemed like it had wear all around it. But I just never saw a picture of the lockup and never thought to ask.

Is there any up and down or side to side play?

If not it may be fine function wise but for a new knife of this price point the lockup should not be that late.

Is there any up and down or side to side play?

If not it may be fine function wise but for a new knife of this price point the lockup should not be that late.
There’s no play but that’s the point I’m trying to make exactly. Also, the liner has already moved further to the right and I’ve only carried it 3 days.

There’s no play but that’s the point I’m trying to make exactly. Also, the liner has already moved further to the right and I’ve only carried it 3 days.

I would just carry it as is for now and contact Emerson and see if the liner can be taken care of under warranty.

I would just carry it as is for now and contact Emerson and see if the liner can be taken care of under warranty.
ive been carrying it to break it in and see if that will help. I mean I guess it got smother to deploy, but the liner lock detent is almost touching the steel liner and now theres vertical bladeplay. Just the slightest but it didnt have it before and I can only assume its gonna get worse by the end of the week. :(

Back