Emerson Confidence

Gang, I have been rotating folders for a long time. These 3 get the most pocket time; CQC7B, SnG Tanto and CRKT M16-12 Tanto. I must say that I feel the most confident with my CQC7. There's just no doubt about it.
Can anyone relate?
rolf

Emerson confidence is a real thing. After picking up my first Emerson over a year ago they're all that I've carried. Whenever I grab one in the morning I know it will do whatever I ask of it and come back for more. Every time I hold one it feels like a handshake with a best friend.

Well said, ibute21. You nailed it. When I hear Emersons are too much money, I tell them to hold one. Use one. Then tell me that.
jahmun, Leon! Lets me and you try a Commander next.

All I own now. People can say what they want, but they work for me everyday.

PS. Definitely try a commander:thumbup:

Yep.^ I will be selling more knives off.
I'm looking for a Commander now.

Cool thread. Like I had said somewhere else before. I understand it now. I didn't then. I am just curious if that feeling for me will last. I haven't done as much cutting with it as I thought. I do a lot of whittling when I'm outside.

I don't know if that style of blade isn't really tailor made for that type of cutting or what. It's a pretty small edge. Should it be thinned out a bit? I'd like to think Ernie knew what he was doing when he designed The7. Surely it can handle some east wood cutting.

Come on guys- tell me to not worry and have at it. Ha! Confident evoking piece though? As in waving it and the feeling in my hand? Oh-no doubt.:)

All I own now. People can say what they want, but they work for me everyday.

PS. Definitely try a commander:thumbup:

That is the one I want next. It's strange. I haven't loved and thought about my knife and just held it in my hand for no reason before. Until now.

But I wanted my first Emerson to be The7 - just to see if I would "understand the phenomenon." But I do know the Commander is my type/style of knife. I won't get another knife until that one is on my hand.

Thanks, guys.
MrPocket- Do not ever sell your Emersons. You might find yourself rotating different folders but you will come back to an Emerson.
rolf

I only have one, but how it "feels" in the hand and that sweet sounding "click" of the lock engaging.....definitely something there, the knife's got soul.

No doubt....my Combat Karambit is on my person almost daily....when it isn't, my La Griffe is in it's place. I have 150% confidence in these two blades and if I don't have one of those 2 on me, it feels like bad juju....

Do not ever sell your Emersons. You might find yourself rotating different folders but you will come back to an Emerson.

Good advice :(

Several years ago I had a Commander, a pair of A-100s and a pair of Super CQC-7s. I carried one of the five daily and used the hell out of them. I sold them all, at a big loss, because I decided I didn't like serrations. Also, the CQC-7s and the Commander were waved and I decided I didn't like that either.

After carrying a Spyderco Military, Para 2, and an Al Mar SERE 2000 I started to really miss the ugly but effective Emersons. Now I'm in the process of buying new Emersons. I have a CQC-7B BT that I love (the older, pre-standoff version) and have an A-100 in the mail that should be here this week. I'm really enjoying the non waved, plain edge CQC-7 for every day use, although the chisel grind is taking some getting used to.

The CQC-7B is tied with my Para2 for "most trusted folder".

SB- Remember, you can pull your Waved Emerson without engaging the Wave.
I did not like serrations at all but I do now. :D Keep this in mind also. They have their place.
Thanks, gang.

SB- Remember, you can pull your Waved Emerson without engaging the Wave.
I did not like serrations at all but I do now. :D Keep this in mind also. They have their place.
Thanks, gang.

I live in a state where a knife that "opens by a motion" is a switchblade, so no wave, assisted opener, or flippers for me.

As to serrations, I like them on a purely "emergency" knife, but for my daily users I like a plain edge.

My plan this time is to own both serrated and plain edge versions of any knife that I like. I sold my previous Emersons because I needed the money to buy different knives. I can now afford to have a diverse collection, and will be very hesitant to sell any more knives because I know I'll eventually regret it :D

I bought an Emerson CQC-7 a while back, just to see what all the hype was about. I love the knife. And I also hate it.

For what I paid for it, I feel like the fit and finish should be better. I was a bit disappointed in that. Also, the lock was sticky, and being a titanium locking liner against a steel blade, has worn in rather quickly. Then there's the fact that the blade centering was off pretty significantly.

Took it apart, tinkered with it, got the blade centered up. The lock still alternates between sticking and having a bit of rock.

Bottom line, love the design, just not the execution. Can't wait for the three Kershaw/Emerson colabs I pre-ordered. haha.

I used to be on a huge Emerson craze back when I didn't know as much as I do now about knives. I have probably owned around 25 of them. Then I realized that there are much better built knives out there for not even half the cost.

Almost all of the Emersons I've owned have had off center blades (on some of them the blades were so off center that they would actually rub on the liner). Two of them had lock failure when I would apply a little pressure on the spine of the blade. I had to send them back. Furthermore the fit on all of them was uneven. The way that the handles, liners, and backspacers were cut and put together left ridges on the lines of the handles. Back then I didn't really think much of these little issues so I kind of just ignored them and kept buying them.

Now that I know so much more about knives, I really don't have much confidence left in Emerson anymore. In all honesty they just feel flimsy to me and I certainly wouldn't trust my life with one (unless if it was a CQC-12 or HD-7). I have found that my $30.00 Ontario Rat 1 has much better fit and finish than any Emerson I have owned. It also locks up stronger and more reliably.

I'm not trying to troll the Emerson forum, nor am I lying or exaggerating in the very least. Yes, I find a $30.00 knife made in Taiwan to be better in construction than any of the 25 Emersons I have owned. Don't care what anyone says or thinks this has been my experience with Emerson.

Now, I still do have a very slight bit of love for them though. I want to get hands on a Super Roadhouse and an UBR Commander sometime in the future. One thing about Emersons that no one can deny is the fact that the ergonomics on all his knives are amazing. They all fit in my hand like a glove.

Back