Emerson Customer Service

As for holding your money, some people probably have waited nearly as long for a Randall custom...

It seems that you've not bothered to read all of this thread. This has been covered. The difference is that those people are told UP FRONT that it will be years before their knives are delivered. Mr. Emerson told me that it would be 18 months, giving a delivery date of about March of 1998. I waited another 18 months after that before I first contacted someone the factory. Then began several years of avoidance from Mr. Emerson and lie upon lie from his employees and one directly from him. I doubt that occurs with anyone who has placed an order for a Randall. I know that it hasn't happened to me and I've ordered several of them.

I'm fairly sure that if I know something about Mr E's character, he's not shady at all...

Perhaps you have some other explanation for his failure to return phone calls, for his failure to return emails and for the fact that once he looked me right in the eye and said that he was "working on that model" when nothing of the sort was underway!? Please, let's have your explanation for these things.

clearly his forum presence regardless of context shows that he DOES indeed care about his brand and what he produces.

I'll disagree. He's had countless opportunities to respond to my queries in this thread, yet he's failed to do so even once. It would seem that he's only here to promote himself and his knives.

I doubt people who have been fans for years are going to care about one sour experience anyway.

I'm sure that you're right. Several of his fan boys have participated in this thread. They're not dissuaded at all. Yet several people who were not aware of this incident HAVE spoken up and said that they'd not be buying any of his knives.

It's just the way of the consumer and you have to let it go man.

As I've said many times now, when Mr. Emerson takes responsibility for what he did by way of a sincere apology and a payment to me of the money that he owes me, I will. Until then, and as long as you or anyone else continues to make erroneous statements in this thread, I'll continue.

You know, it might sound a bit crude but perhaps he just plain didn't WANT to make a knife for you

That would be fine with me. But then why wasn't he man enough to say so when I was at his table asking if he'd build the knife for me? Why did he spend the time in working out the details of specs for the knife? Why did he take my deposit and my payments? AT ANYTIME, he could have said that he was not interested in building my knife. Yet he did nothing.

I'm never gonna know what that guy is thinking but for some of the custom bali's out there, you're sort of PICKED to buy one these days for some of the knives I've been into lately in the custom balisong world (Balibalistic, Terry Guinn, Dobruski, Korth). I'm on 2 waiting lists right now for custom balis, could be 6 months, could be sooner...

First, I'd be willing to bet that I've purchased more custom knives and have spent more time in waiting for them (especially if you add in custom guns) than you have. I'm well aware of how that world operates.

Second, AGAIN it looks as if you've missed the point. It's not how long the knife took to build that was upsetting. It was that I got a run−around for several years, each time being promised by Mr. Emerson's employees that the knife was "just around the corner." NEVER did he answer or return a phone call. NEVER did he return an email, NEVER did he reply to my written letters and NEVER did he tell me the truth, that he was never going to build the knife. In fact, on one occasion he deliberately lied to me and said that he was "working on that model."

As for your money, I have never been aware of Mr E taking payment in full for a knife upfront unless it's at a show where it's all due at the table.

In another thread someone posted an ad that showed that in his early days Mr. Emerson required a deposit with an order for a custom knife. This sounds a bit like you're calling me a liar. I suggest that you ask Mr. Emerson about this. AS I'VE SAID a couple of times now, I did the math and sent Mr. Emerson a small sum every month, timing it so that the final payment would arrive 18 months after the deposit was made, so that when the knife was done, per the time frame given by Mr. Emerson himself, it would be paid in full. It would really facilitate matters on this topic if you'd take the time to read the entire thread instead of making one assumption after another.

And again, could you please tell me what I could have done differently to get Mr. Emerson to live up to his promise to build me the knife that I'd ordered, that he'd agreed to build, and that I had paid for?

Sorry about this situation Lou. After Emerson's BS thread about only his knives are used at the killings of Bin Laden and those other goons, and the removal of his comments under "The way I see it" about the '08 Olympics, he lost me as a customer. Too many complaints by knife enthusists here on BF's also. Cool looking knives but a hell of a lot of hot air.

I don't get it Chris. The blade started to rust, and you emailed the maker to ask... what? For him to replace the blade for you? To have him tell you to lube it down?

What were you trying to accomplish by emailing the maker? I don't get it.
I'm very impartial with regards to EKI, they do something things wrong, and somethings right, but your case is just ridiculous. It's like calling the grocery store and complaining that my bananas grew brown spots.

Wow it seems like the plot thickens! In this thread Lou states he had several custom Emersons.

S.T.R. pray tell, how does this make "the plot thicken?" How does my possession of several custom Emersons affect anything that's been discussed in the thread?

C'mon people. As Lou can tell the problem has been solved lets not just start crap for sake of starting trouble.

Again I'm no mod, just saying.

LOL, I thought the thread looked familiar until I found out that I've replied to it once already.

Took me another hour in a Sunday morning to go through it again but the big picture is clearer this time around.

Lou had a very bad dealing with Mr. Emerson, he has every right to make the reasonable demands he did. Mr. Emerson wasn't able to live up to the promises he made, nor did him and crew treat Lou with honesty and respect.

Despite that, Lou had been a fan of Emerson knives and had bought several Emerson customs at different shows.

Lou had decided to let this go until Mr.Emerson took his pride in his business practices public, that was the trigger to this thread.

However, we saw yet again from Mr. Emerson's response that he's awfully defensive and he only addressed the matter in a tiny portion of his response, with an attitude too.

I'm a supporter of Lou and I'd be pissed as hell if I were in his shoes. I don't want to comment on the quality of Emerson knives but if I were treated like Lou was, I wouldn't hesitate to let the world know my story. Not to ask for sympathy, not to ask for pity, not to "bash" Emerson, but to merely let people know my experience. Could you imagine if all customers with negative experience with certain manufacturers/makers just keep their mouth shut because bringing the matter to public would bring them troubles? I'm sure many are doing that already, fortunately Lou isn't one of them.

What I don't get is the support that Mr.Emerson got in this thread. For those who questions Lou's integrity, you are probably good fiction writers yourselves, or maybe conspiracy theorists. All evidence thus far clearly favored Lou, and you are simply in denial because you have a lot of respect for Mr.Emerson and would not believe that this had happened.

For those who asked or suggested Lou to simply drop the matter, I think Lou already had to some degree. He's not actually demanding his money back anymore. I trust Lou and his intention to start this thread. If you have doubts about that, then there's not much ground for discussion.

Lastly, I'd love to ask anyone who haven't done so to put yourself in Lou's position for a moment. If you'd like to be treated as Lou and keep everything to yourself or simply drop the matter then good for you, you just might be a better man than Lou and his supporters, but remember, if you do that, more people will be screwed by the same wrongdoing.

Last edited:
Damn Lou first your accused of owning a stolen knife, now emerson won't return your money for years after placing an order with them, If i was you I would stay away brother, stay far far away. He may of remebered who you were when you called him about that thumbstudded 6 that's why he never calleed you back. lol, I'm joking.

This reminds me of the time I had my 88 mustang windows tinted by shop that was a forum sponser on houstonimports.com. they crashed my car into a wall and denied it as we are standing there looking at the car in front of a giant hole in the wall. They wouodnt give me insurance info and then didnt want to give me a reciept and said the tint was free and to call it even. Even though I paid 150 in cash. I spoke out on the forum and everyone hated me and I was banned from the forum. Amazing isnt it?

I love emersn knives despite the obvious fit and finish flaws. From watching you tube vids, especially nutnfancys shot show with emerson iv come to have a lot of respect for the man. If what lou says is true, and I have no reason not to believe him, it makes me a little bit sad to be honest.

Despite that, Lou had been a fan of Emerson knives and had bought several Emerson customs at different shows.

I like the knives. I have several of his customs and used to EDC a Commander before I retired. I used to recommend them, but due to this situation, stopped.

I'm a supporter of Lou and I'd be pissed as hell if I were in his shoes.

Thanks for the support. I appreciate it. I was, as you say, "pissed as hell" for quite some time but then I just let it go. I rarely spoke of, or thought of, the situation unless someone asked specifically about it. But then, as you said, Mr. Emerson wrote a post bragging about the quality of his customer service and I could no longer hold my tongue.

I don't want to comment on the quality of Emerson knives but if I were treated like Lou was, I wouldn't hesitate to let the world know my story. Not to ask for sympathy, not to ask for pity, not to "bash" Emerson, but to merely let people know my experience.

Yep, you got it.

What I don't get is the support that Mr.Emerson got in this thread. For those who questions Lou's integrity, you are probably good fiction writers yourselves, or maybe conspiracy theorists. All evidence thus far clearly favored Lou, and you are simply in denial because you have a lot of respect for Mr.Emerson and would not believe that this had happened.

Mr. Emerson has quite a following of fanboys. They won't hear anything that goes against their hero. Some people just don't want to be confused by the facts.

Damn Lou first your accused of owning a stolen knife, now emerson won't return your money for years after placing an order with them, If i was you I would stay away brother, stay far far away. He may of remebered who you were when you called him about that thumbstudded 6 that's why he never calleed you back. lol, I'm joking. [Emphasis Added]

I don't want to think that he didn't call me back as I requested because he remembered me or this thread. I don't want to think that he's that small. I HOPE that you're wrong and that he just didn't get the message. But there's a part of me that agrees with you.

This reminds me of the time I had my 88 mustang windows tinted by shop that was a forum sponser on houstonimports.com. they crashed my car into a wall and denied it as we are standing there looking at the car in front of a giant hole in the wall. They wouodnt give me insurance info and then didnt want to give me a reciept and said the tint was free and to call it even. Even though I paid 150 in cash. I spoke out on the forum and everyone hated me and I was banned from the forum. Amazing isnt it?

Whaddaymean? They comped you the window tint didn't they? Some people are just so ungrateful. LOL.

I love emersn knives despite the obvious fit and finish flaws. From watching you tube vids, especially nutnfancys shot show with emerson iv come to have a lot of respect for the man. If what lou says is true, and I have no reason not to believe him, it makes me a little bit sad to be honest.

The whole situation makes me sad too. And while, for the most part, I've put it behind me, every year when I took the knives out to oil them down (as I do with all my knives) the memory of the incident came back and I'd get upset all over again. I posted the photos to get some idea of the value thinking that I'd sell them off and so, I wouldn't be reminded of it, but that went south too. Maybe I wasn't destined to own Emerson's?

The whole situation makes me sad too. And while, for the most part, I've put it behind me, every year when I took the knives out to oil them down (as I do with all my knives) the memory of the incident came back and I'd get upset all over again. I posted the photos to get some idea of the value thinking that I'd sell them off and so, I wouldn't be reminded of it, but that went south too. Maybe I wasn't destined to own Emerson's?

You could give them to me..... Kidding kidding.

Back