1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Endela

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by anthony cheeseboro, May 23, 2019.

1. anthony cheeseboro

anthony cheeseboro Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 1999
    I checked out a Endela yesterday. It was a bit bigger than I thought would be with a 3.41” blade and an 8.10” overall length. I guess it’s size was modeled on the Paramilitary 2. Since the PM2 is so popular, I guess that is a no brainer. Where I saw it, the price was $79, about the going rate for a FRN Seiki City VG-10 knife.

2. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I think the 3.41" blade length is more to put it right in between the Endura and Delica blade lengths. Had it been 3.5" it would have been closer to the Endura than the Delica.

Jim

anthony cheeseboro likes this.
  3. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Blade length is good, price is fair, will pick one up.

4. Dallas T

Dallas T Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Where did u see it at?

5. anthony cheeseboro

Aug 8, 1999
    Grand Prairie Knives (GPK,) they ran out of plain edge. When they get more in I will probably buy one.

6. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    That's a great price IMO, I bet it will be a good seller.

7. anthony cheeseboro

Aug 8, 1999
    283ECF2F-557C-4A2A-B7C3-D6CF3190EE73.jpeg 122EF3F8-D1C8-4B98-9502-AA5C7D2BDD5D.jpeg

On top, you see my Endela between my Mantra 3 and Para 3 Lightweight. The bottom picture has my somewhat above average hand for reference. Eric and Sal have got a decent chunk of change out of me over the last month or so.:D

8. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    Available at dlttrading.

[email protected] likes this.
  9. RickJ

RickJ

Mar 2, 2003
    I just picked one up from DLT, I love that store.

10. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Great size for that format. I also like DLT.

11. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    I really don't get the "point" of the Endela and have no plans on buying one.

There are several other Spyders that already fill that size gap (the PM2, Manix2 and Tenacious -- all of which I already own) that immediately come to mind and the fact that you can still buy an Endela on Spyderco's website seems to confirm a lack of demand because any new release subject to high demand always sells out there quick.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  12. anthony cheeseboro

Aug 8, 1999
    Not every Spyderco is a a super hit, but in terms of sheer niche filling, Spyderco could have stopped making new models twenty years ago.

13. Converge

Converge

Oct 4, 2014
    Mine came today.

[​IMG]

Love it!

skyhorse, KarlG, Dadpool and 4 others like this.
  14. DShiflet

DShiflet

Jan 25, 2013
    Let's see...the Endela has a less wide blade and takes up less pocket space than the Manix and Tenacious, a lighter weight than any of them but the Manix Lightweight, better steel than the Tenacious, and a lot cheaper than the PM2, so...I can see a reason for it.

KarlG, mdrgn79 and anthony cheeseboro like this.
  15. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Can't argue that it doesn't fill a "niche" but it just seems redundant to me and the differences (to most people, other than knife people like us) are so minor (except for the blade steel used in the Tenacious which is made up for in the much lower price point) as to be almost entirely meaningless to most people.

But, different strokes for different folks. If it floats your boat, buy it. Using a shotgun approach by tossing out as many different models that people "might" buy (and cutting them out quick when they don't) seems to be Spyderco's marketing strategy, especially for it's more popular models like the Native and Endura/Delica lines.

It's just not another Spyderco that I see any reason to buy, given all the others that I already own.

16. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Looks great !

Converge likes this.
  17. anthony cheeseboro

Aug 8, 1999
    There are lots of Spydercos I never consider, especially those north of $200-$250, however, the typical initial Spyderco run is 1,200 units, or at least that’s what it has been in the past. That is a pretty small number. Most Spyderco Knives are aimed at knifenuts.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  18. DShiflet

DShiflet

Jan 25, 2013
    Sure. Although tbh, if Spyderco was only making knives where the differences weren't so minor as to be almost entirely meaningless to most non-knife people, they could probably limit themselves to about 7 basic folder designs(and a few obviously "exotic" designs like the Yojimbo, a hawkbill, etc) and have all their bases covered. Even blade steel doesn't matter to most non-knife people, to them, steel is steel, "steel" IS the descriptor, and they don't even realize that there's tons of different steels. I've been asked why I have mulitples of the same design and I mention things like different blade steels and have literally been asked "it looks the same to me, isn't steel steel?"

19. KarlG

KarlG Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2014
    Typical Japanese Seki City VG-10,. Nice and light. Very reasonable price. C243PB.jpg

20. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Sgt,

Actually, the Endela is being very well received. It seems like you are speculating on our models, philosophy's, goals and methods. I think you might want to take a step back and look at a bigger picture view of our company.

sal

MolokaiRider, dug24, AF and 9 others like this.