• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Endura 4 Wave w/ Blueish handle

just got my Endura 4 wave. The wave thing opens the knife scary fast. nice knife but the handle is slightly blue I was wondering if this is the standard color for such a knife because the picture on Spydercos site shows a much greyer handle.

I also got a firebyrd which is a very nice party tool lil big though with some impressive machineing

I believe it is standard, as I have heard the same from others. On a side note, how well is your FireByrd put together? I'm interested in the knife, but have heard complaints of poor build quality.

My waved Endura is also that same bluish colour. A rather nice change from the black on 90% of my folders.

Yeah its an interesting color it looks grey in some lights green in others and blue in yet others i like the color i just wanted to make sure that i didnt get some limited edition or something as i intend to beat on this knife.

As for the Firebyrd i payed 10 bucks for it and i think for 10 bucks it is well worth it. its kinda big and clunky but it is an impressive example of machining. The lighter locks in snugly. I am not happy with the attatchment of the clip. The screws are into soft alumminium not thru to a peice of steal so I anticipate that failing. Also its a lil too big to clip to you. The flat back sits nicely against your leg in ur pocket. so i think ill take the clip off and just put it in the pocket. The blade on it down right sucks. It is difficult to open and did not come very sharp. Im sure this call all be fixed with a slight loosening of a screw a drop of oil and a sharpening stone so im not that worried. It has a nicely shaped blade that is very large for the size. The bottle opener looks quite impressive i havent had the oportunity to try it out yet but plan on it tommorrow. All in all I have to say that this is a very cool party carry knife. something that looks nothing like a weapon and is quite useful. just be prepared to sharpen the blade out of the box.
ok so yeah sorry bout the rant but you had to ask

I would love for the Endura ZDP189 to have a Red Cross / Victorinox / Fire Engine red variant + black clips and hardware. That would be just the sweetest offering and will be immediately in my BOB. A tribute to SAR, EMT, Medic, FirstAid, Humanitarian teams worldwide....perhaps even with the red cross logo etched on the blade....

I would love for the Endura ZDP189 to have a Red Cross / Victorinox / Fire Engine red variant + black clips and hardware.

Just buy an Endura trainer along with the ZDP version when it comes out. Swap the blades, and you've got your red ZDP Endura.

"Just buy an Endura trainer along with the ZDP version when it comes out. Swap the blades, and you've got your red ZDP Endura."

That is a good idea but kind of expenisve. I guess if you really had to have the red handle, it is about the only way to get one right now.

I have just ordered a Waved Endura 4 as well and I am waiting to see what it is like. This will be my first experience with a Wave so I am looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about.

kgriggs its scary how fast you can get it out with the wave with just a little practice. It deploys faster then a switchblade you will love it and it will frighten you how fast you can get ur blade out. I dont know if i can get a knife with out the wave. Three things i dont like about it is that you have to be realy careful when you take it out of your pocket to make it not open, it is absolute hell on ur pockets and i dont think that its safe to let someone else use the knife who has no experiance with the wave. But those are reletively minor conisderations. Its a great knife.

I would like one of the salt series to come with a waved H1 blade

I would love for the Endura ZDP189 to have a Red Cross / Victorinox / Fire Engine red variant + black clips and hardware. That would be just the sweetest offering and will be immediately in my BOB. A tribute to SAR, EMT, Medic, FirstAid, Humanitarian teams worldwide....perhaps even with the red cross logo etched on the blade....

Spyderco traditionally reserves bright red scales for its trainer knives, so catamount123's suggestion of swapping blades would probably be your only option.

Well I got the Waved Endura today and I can say for certain that it is not just hype. This is a really nice feature to have once you get used to it. It took me about 5 seconds to try it out and have a big smile on my face. The first time I used it, I was impressed. I didn't have to do anything special, just pull it out and thwack, the blade came open. It opens faster than any other knife I have ever seen. Switchblades are downright slow compared to the wave!

I got the Waved Endura because I wanted to try out the Endura 4 and because I wanted to try out the Wave. I killed two birds with one stone by getting both. There are just two things I don't like about the new Endura. First, it seems like the lock is too far back on the grip. I have to compleatly move my hand around to unlock it. This is a big problem and one that will probably limit my use of this knife. The other is, the handle is not as ergonomic as the Endura 3. I am not sure if I should put two finger or just one in the groove near the blade. Nothing feels quite right. The Para is the same for me, it just doesn't feel quite right in any grip I use.

I do like the Wave and I wouldn't be sad to see it on a LOT more Spydercos. A waved Resuce seems like a natural idea. I have been happy with my 93mm Rescue up until now but if they decide to wave it, I am going to get one. Spyderco finding ways of getting my money. I just get to the point where I feel like I have all the knives I need and they come out with another knife that makes me spend more of my cash.

I definatly agree that the handle on the endura is terrible that stupid indent makes you hold the knife too far foward or too far back. I am also not a fan of the position of the lockback i wish it was closer to the blade so as to enable one handed closure. Another thing that i dont really like is the texture of the handle i feel as if its a bit hard on the hands. Other then that it is a wonderful knife with a near perfect blade that is stupid sharp.

and kriggs i would love to see a waved salt model maybe like the atlantic salt or a waved hawkbill model would be also be quite interesting i dont know if i can get another knife with out a wave

Well I use my my blue 93mm CE Rescue as my water knife. It has never showed any signs of rusting and it is about perfect for what I need in a boating/water knife. It is very light yet has tons of blade. I have made a kydex neck sheath for it so it won't get lost. If they made a yellow Atlantic Salt with the Wave, that would be the only thing that could beat the Rescue. I might even consider a yellow Pac Salt if it had the wave. I think I can handle the tip of the Pac Salt since it is not a needle tip.

yeah i kinda like the point on the endura/pac salt im not the biggest fan of the sheepsfoot shape blade. ive never owned a hawkbill and the more i look at them the more intersted in them i am but the wave is sooo slick that i may start looking at emerson knives just because of the wave

Color Endura Wawe always was more dark blue than grey, here for comparison of photo EW3 and EW4 ;)

509751.jpg

That was my knife, that bottom one. I had a first generation endura and I loved that knife; but I hated the clip. I sent it back to Spyderco 3 times until I gave up. It kept twisting in the handle and destroying the liner. Now I see they improved on things a bit. I'd love to get my hands on one of those waves, but how does the wave thing help it open?

First time poster:
Long time lurker and long time memeber of CPF. My dad just got me one of these for Christmas and I kinda like it.
cimg0501smud2.jpg

Other than the full serration it's a fantastic shorty knife.

Back