Esee Junglas

How does the Kershaw Camp 10 compare?
Kershaw camp 10 is phenomenal. The handle is fantastic, the shape is dead on. If you want a cheap light chopper, you will not find a better one. The steel is made in china, and my brother cracked one in half at a defective spot by throwing it at a tree, but kershaw mailed back a new one. It will outchop the Junglas because of the big belly bolo shape and it's thinner behind the edge. For a cheap heavy chopper, get the condor bushcraft parang and take a ferrier's rasp to the big round handle. The ontario sp-53 is just a few bucks more than the camp-10, but is a great bolo knife with 1/4 inch thick 1075 that chops like an axe. I thinned the edge out and convexed my 5160 sp-53 and i love it. The skrama handle & steel is great for a unique versatile light chopper for about $75. Bk-9 is like the junglas, but more towards knife than machete and a steeper grind angle. OKC kukri chops like a champ too. If you want to sharpen your blade with a stone, you may want to go with a straight edged blade. That said, curves cut deeper.

The Becker BK9 would like to have a word.

Edit: Sorry, hold on, phone's ringing.

[CLICK]

Hello? Oh, he's right here. Yeah, the Ontario RTAK2 would also like a word.

The Becker is great too.

The Junglas is possibly the best bang-for-buck woods chopper on the market.

Yup Can’t really beat it for the price. It’s got a really comfortable handle and one of the best production kydex sheaths out there!

I like Esee knives and have a 4P, but the Junglas is on the thin side for me (prefer .25" or a little more at the spine) and does not have a finger choil, which makes a big chopper much more versatile, in my experience. It's also a little heavy for me. I prefer the weight of a knife this size to be closer to 1 lb. than 1.5 lbs.

This is just personal preference, though. The Junglas is a good knife.

Last edited:
I like Esee knives and have a 4P, but the Junglas is on the thin side for me (prefer .25" or a little more at the spine) and does not have a finger choil, which makes a big chopper much more versatile, in my experience. It's also a little heavy for me. I prefer the weight of a knife this size to be closer to 1 lb. than 1.5 lbs.

This is just personal preference, though. The Junglas is a good knife.
You want it to be thicker and weigh 8 oz less but be the same size? :confused:

You want it to be thicker and weigh 8 oz less but be the same size? :confused:

There is nothing secret, hidden, or difficult about finding knife weights, and other specifications, on the internet.

I have Busse, Swamp Rat, and Ontario knives, all high quality and in the 10" blade range with .25" spines. Their weight on a food scale is even less than what I found with a few minutes of research on the internet: two of the knives weigh less than a pound and another is not even 1/10 of an ounce over a pound.

Last edited:
There is nothing secret, hidden, or difficult about finding knife weights on the internet.
I never said there was.

I wonder why knives of the same size, but significantly thicker, would weigh so much less? Blade not as wide? Skeletonised handles? Big fuller on a hollow grind?

Magical infi? :D

Jungles was put to work pruning today. I found that using the Junglas to strip and break down small branches for the yard waste bin is way more efficient than using shears. Way more fun using the Junglas too.
WgrFNeV.jpg

I have a SYKCO 1111 and Busse WTF that I love and at one point almost got the Junglas but decided I had its role
covered with what I already have. I think the Junglas would be a great "catch all" blade for camping and surviving if the need arose.
Should be good for shelter building and gathering wood for a fire.
Lately I've been favoring a machete for light weight stuff and an axe or hatchet for heavy stuff.
My WTF and 1111 perform close to a Junglas given the specs of each.
Choppers in the 9-11" range are good go between when you can't carry a machete and a hatchet or don't want to.
Buying one from a reputable company like ESEE, Busse, Ka Bar etc. you can't go wrong.
Just don't buy cheap junk and you should be fine.

There is nothing secret, hidden, or difficult about finding knife weights on the internet.

I never said there was.

My point was that a few minutes of online research would have answered your question instead of making what I took to be a sarcastic comment.

I wonder why knives of the same size, but significantly thicker, would weigh so much less? Blade not as wide? Skeletonised handles? Big fuller on a hollow grind?

Magical infi? :D

I've wondered about this, too. The Junglas blade length and width are similar enough to my other big knives (none have fullers or hollow grinds) that it wouldn't account for several ounces of weight difference, and all my knives have full tangs, like the Junglas, except no extended tangs. I had a Junglas II at one time, which I believe is the same as the Junglas except for a 2" shorter blade. If I remember correctly, the handle and tang on the II was a bit longer than my other big knives, maybe to choke back on that end for more forward chopping force on the blade. I don't see where else the extra weight could come from.

http://imgur.com/a/0XyGhlU
OKC SP blades have a rat tail tang which is still very secure but much lighter in the handle, therefore more forward heavy for chopping. These rat tail handles do negate any shock from coming through to your hand. A full tang 1/4" SP-53 would be a totally different animal and not nearly as good. Tops made a Yacare machete similar to the sp-53, but full tang and from thinner stock. It's not as good.

Beastchopper, my Ontario is a Gen II SP50, unfortunately now discontinued. All the advertising and reviews I've read said it is full tang, but of course I can't see it because of the Kraton handle. It makes sense what you said about a lighter tang putting more weight forward for better chopping.

My point was that a few minutes of online research would have answered your question instead of making what I took to be a sarcastic comment.

I've wondered about this, too. The Junglas blade length and width are similar enough to my other big knives (none have fullers or hollow grinds) that it wouldn't account for several ounces of weight difference, and all my knives have full tangs, like the Junglas, except no extended tangs. I had a Junglas II at one time, which I believe is the same as the Junglas except for a 2" shorter blade. If I remember correctly, the handle and tang on the II was a bit longer than my other big knives, maybe to choke back on that end for more forward chopping force on the blade. I don't see where else the extra weight could come from.
It was not intended as a sarcastic comment but rather a question out of confusion because what you are asking for did not seem possible. Plus, it only takes well under a minute to find the weight of the Junglas ;)

And apparently my confused question is valid as you don't seem to have an answer either. Perhaps you could throw up some examples of blades with similar specs but significantly less weight. I believe you said you'd like to see the Junglas come in at around 1lb but with 1/4" thickness, which seems difficult to me.

Edit: I just reread your original weight/thickness comment. Looks like your weight comfort is at 20 oz or less, as you say closer to 1 lb rather than closer to 1.5 lbs. I am genuinely curious about what is available in a 10" blade, 1/4" thick, and 20 oz or less. And how such specs are achieved!

Back