ESEE Laser Strike

I would love to see one w/ the scales removed. I want to see how "skeletonized" the handle appears.

Well it turns out where I ordered it from was out of stock:grumpy:, so I guess I won't be getting mine for a while.

I would love to see one w/ the scales removed. I want to see how "skeletonized" the handle appears.

Here is a picture with the handles off

6900228270_6742a04684_z.jpg

I suppose the handle is fuller than the 3 and 4, correct?

I sure hope so as those two didn't quite work out for me. Mine should deliver this week, I'm looking forward to using it and posting more pics and thoughts on it.

I think it's a perfect addition to their product line. A lot of people thought the handle on the ESEE-4 was too small, the E-5 was a chunky monkey, and the E-6 was too big. Fills a slot well. :thumbup:

I believe the handle is around the same length as the 3/4, but a a lot thicker. It looks as if it will be thicker than the 6, not sure though.

that's what i thought as well regarding that jimping under the hand's webbing. it kills me to see a lot of esee's knives that's on the verge of greatness but held back with such design flaws! the choil on most of their knives is a deal breaker for me too.

I agree.

The ferro rod in the handle ( even though you could remove it) is a poor idea to me for a number of reasons.

One , you have a piece of metal ( ferrorod) succesptible to oxidization/ corrosion stored in the handle of a carbon steel knife that most likely will get wet and possibly rusting the inside of the handle ;

and two , every time you need the ferrorod you're going to remove the handle? With wet , cold hands when you're in a hurry to make a fire? Better to have it handy when you need it Imo , so having it in the handle is just a last resort item that will see seldom use ( hence , the corrosion issue.)

I own a lot of Esee's and they're a good knife , but the one thing they should definately change is eliminate the protrusion behind the index finger on the bottom of the handle ( in effect pretty much eliminating the choil and improving all grips). JMHO.
:)

I'm really liking the looks of this one. And being around $105-110 bucks I think its a great alternative to a 4 or 5. Seems like it would be a good all around blade.

If you only use the firestarter as an emergency backup and keep the coating on it, I don't think there would be any issues with corrosion. Or you could dip it in some clear nail polish and be double sure. But I don't think it was designed to be constantly taking the scales on and off to use on a regular basis.

My LS arrived today and I have to say I'm even more impressed with it than I thought I would be. I'm not a big choil fan either, but with the handle scales going more than half way around it, it feels good in hand. Fit and finish is nice, with the scales fitting flush. I was unsure about the sheath from pictures, but it's nicely designed and well made. I really like the clip rather than a belt loop. The firesteel fits snug inside the handle with no rattle, and the knife is lighter than I thought it would be too. These are just first impressions, but I think the ESEE guys did great with the whole package.
P1000400.jpg

P1000399.jpg

P1000401.jpg

P1000398.jpg

P1000397.jpg

tknife,

Do both sides of the slab have the spindle indention or is it only on the right slab? Great pics congrats! I want one of these!

tknife,

Do both sides of the slab have the spindle indention or is it only on the right slab? Great pics congrats! I want one of these!

Thanks! It's only on one side. I haven't tried a bowdrill in quite a while but I'm interested to give it a shot using the divot.

Never being able to leave well enough alone, I had to strip it. The grey coating underneath is pretty smooth and uniform. Usually coated knives are pretty rough finished underneath, but the LS looks great all stripped and nude :p
P1000402.jpg

P1000403.jpg

P1000404.jpg

P1000405.jpg

Back