ESEE Laser Strike

I just got a Laser Strike and was very pleasantly surprised with how comfortable the handle was, and what a nice overall package it is as an outdoors knife. It might even kick my moras out of rotation for while...

How does that belt clip work? Any good?

Honestly, though I haven't carried it extensively, it's okay. It's not great but it's not horrible either. It does its job and the sheath offers a lot of carry options. And overall I like it better than most of the floppy belt loops that come on mass produced sheaths.

While I thought the clip plate would be just what the doctor ordered for easy on/off, after a 2 night wilderness trip this weekend, it is coming off the Laser Strike. In its original mounting position, it occludes a full grip on the knife when one attempts to draw. It can also be mounted with 2 screws in a lower position, which causes it to hang the knife higher, but also tips the knife handle inward too far for my tastes. In either position, the knife is rigidly vertical and was constantly hanging up on clothing and pack straps, while being strangely hard to position for a comfortable draw no matter where it was on my belt, right or left, strong-side or cross-draw.

I am not entirely sure of what the solution will be, but I suspect it'll be my weird combo of tek-lock and bicycle innertube which allows a wide range of postions and angles without much effort, and the flexibility to work around pack straps, holsters etc....

The knife itself was amazing, however. It started fires, harvested pitchwood, made spoons, and all the other knife stuff one might expect. It also keeps its edge surprisingly well. It feels like it might be slightly harder than my Izula, since I'm running a very similar edge on both...

I just never could work out a good arrangement with the clip plate on my ESEE 6 so I also replaced mine with a large tec lok. I think I am also going to try some Molle locks and see how I like them.

I have to use this knife - ESEE Laser Strike.

The best comfortable knife in my opinion,hands down!

I like the choil,I like the spear point blade,I like how comfortable is handle!

5" handle,5" blade,not to short and not to long!

The great blade thickness - 3/16"

Great design and ergonomic!

Great quality!

Last edited:
From what i have seen its a very very good knife all things considered. I think 5" bladed knives are the perfect size for backpacking. They are generally light and capable and you are unlikely to need (NEED being the operative work here) to baton something bigger than something the LS could handle. I would get it if I were you unless you are really stingy with weight and afraid of rust (Fallkniven S1 would be something to consider in that case, i love mine). That being said the LS would be very capable for its size and weight. The lifetime warranty is no joke either! Bahcho Laplander, LS, and Multitook/SAK would be one heck of a capable system!

I own the ESEE Laser Strike and it is by far my favorite knife. For my hand size (L) Esee hit the nail on the head ... this knife's ergonomics are unmatched in my opinion. GREAT All-Around bush knife... SHARP... Carves, notches, and batons like a champ for a 5" blade. FYI: I replaced the ferro rod inside with a piece of fat wood and added a swedish steel and striker to my sheath. My #1 blade! And it's only $110!

Back