• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Executive Shank

Here's a dress shank you can take with you into a business meeting! :D Honestly, I don't know where the names come from. Anyway, this is a little over 7 3/4" OAL with a 3 3/4" blade. It is 3/16" thick O1 stock, that is only 1/2" wide, so it has a steep flat grind, to say the least! The flats are currently finished to 400 grit, I'll probably go up to 600 grit for a nice smooth satin finish. The spine looks rough, but it will also have a beautiful satin finish once I get the handles on, and the handle will have anicer, more rounded profile, too. $145 plus shipping for this guy, including multicarry sheath (Paypal, no added fees or cashier's check/money order). Your choice of materials for the handle, as long as I have them in stock (I know I have orange textured G-10, blue textured G-10, black G-10, red G-10, translucent G-10, green G-10, black paper micarta, black linen micarta, natural canvas micarta, green canvas micarta, and a ton of wood!).

shank2.jpg

shank3.jpg

shank4.jpg

shank5.jpg

Cool one!

I have one very similar hitting the forge tonight for HT. 3/16" I had the same steep bevel then decided to put a swedge along the top and thin it to about 1/8" through a deep grind. Easier to do since mine is a little slim tanto, and it makes it look like a miniature katana :)

I like your idea on posting the ht'd blade and allowing peple to choose handles. Will this get a little kydex sheath or are you going to do something with leather? I am still deciding.

In general, I need to expand my use of scrap blade steel and start making more neckers, pocket sized knives, etc. My scrap handle material pile and scrape blade steel pile is probably enough to make 10 little neckers!

TikTock, I will do Concealex for this one. I can't do leatherwork yet and I'm too busy to bother learning. :( By and large I think you're better off offering finished knives and not giving people the options, honestly. I think most people want to see the finished knife and decide then whether it works for them or not. In my experience if it isn't a custom knife that the buyer is specifying, then knives that are unfinished, like this one, don't sell as quickly as it would if it is finished. Weird, but true, in my experience!

So, if this one doesn't sell by the weekend it'll get scales and be re-offered. I have three others of the same size that I'm going to do, but all in different blades shapes (Wharncliffe, tanto and I'm not sure about the 4th one). Then I probably won't offer these again, so get them while they're hot! :D

Cool.
Mine came about when I had a long strip of 1/2" o-1 that i couldn't figure out what to do with. I am going to end up putting tiny nickel silver double bolsters on it with some interesting green burl. Should be a fun little knife. Now I need to just figure out what to do with the 7 pieces of 4" 1084 that I have....4" is awful short....

Nice knife, though! Should look awesome in g-10

ummmmmm Chiro75 knife translucent G-10 scales, why do you temp me soooo
I can picture it with the others:yawn: :yawn:

Zoo

Back