Extended Review of the Camillus EDC

I’ve been thinking lately about my knife tastes, and how they’ve evolved over the last year or so. Some knives have produced very strong reactions from me. I’ve downright disliked certain models, while others have produced brief yet strong infatuations. Looking back now, there are actually very few knives that I’ve developed a long lasting relationship with. The Camillus EDC is one of those few knives that has become a trusted companion. So with almost a year of constant carry now, I thought I’d get into the details of the design, showing forth some of the EDC’s great features.

The first and most noticeable design element of the EDC is its physical appearance. The looks are simply drop-dead gorgeous for such an inexpensive knife. Success seems to have come through a rather minimalist approach, paying strong attention to a very few basic key elements, while completely eliminating others entirely. The EDC has no traditional handle scales. This lack of scaling has actually produced a very clean, simple and appealing design. While many designers have used this same approach, few have managed to produce a knife that doesn’t come off as looking overly “tactical”. Darrel Ralph, the genius behind the EDC’s design, has developed a knife that actually comes off as looking somewhat like a gent’s knife, while still maintaining a sturdy appearance. How did Darrel do this? You’ve got me, but I’ll make a guess. Writing a knife review just wouldn’t be any fun without making a few uninformed guesses now, would it? I’ll bet that this knife’s wonderful aesthetics are a two-part deal. The first is Darrel’s ultra-ergonomic handle shape. The curvature has a beautiful organic appearance, which starkly contrasts with the knife’s decidedly non-organic choice of materials. This outright contradiction in design philosophy creates an excitement for those of us viewing the EDC, urging us to examine the knife more closely. The second part is the wonderful use of handle cutouts. The shape and symmetry of these cutouts are extraordinary; much nicer in my opinion than the ordinary round holes used on many knives. The fact that the pocket clip’s cutouts perfectly match the handle’s cutouts is just icing on the cake. The overall feeling you get from this knife is excitement, with an underlying attitude of strength and confidence.

edc5.jpg

Opening the EDC reveals a very stylistic blade, which has the uncommon advantage of actually adding to the knife’s appearance. The shape is rather unique when compared to most knives, with flowing curves that loosely mimic the shape of the handle. Don’t be fooled though. This blade isn’t made for just smiling at. It’s meant for doing some serious cutting. The rather exaggerated recurve helps the EDC to take on larger cutting jobs than you would normally tackle with a knife of this size. The recurve and flat grind provide extraordinary strength and cutting power, besting many of my larger knives. The only drawback I can see to the EDC’s blade shape is its lack of tip. Many people prefer a blade with a pointy tip for fine detail cutting. The EDC chooses not to excel in this area, trading ultimate precision for raw cutting power. My guess is that the trade-off is a smart choice for the average person, who is more likely to be cutting cardboard, plastic blister packs and twine. If you’re depending on a small knife to do everything you need, sheer cutting power is probably the most important consideration. Camillus even went as far as to use include some very utilitarian blade finishes on the various EDC models, staying far away from bead blasting. I’ve had many bead blasted blades in the past, and they tend to be a magnet for rust. Not a single EDC in my collection has exhibited even the smallest amount of rust so far. This is a very welcome detail in the otherwise bead blasted wasteland of small folders.

I also have to say that I’ve grown to love frame locks. Is this because I’ve had problems with liner locks folding up on me? Nope. I have a bunch of liner locks, and all have held up well. But at the same time, the frame lock yields a certain amount of confidence and security; especially on the Camillus EDC. The ergonomic shape almost commands you to get a good grip on this knife. And with such a good grip, I really can’t imagine this lock ever busting loose on me. I could probably make the EDC frame lock fail if I wanted to. I could probably make any lock fail if I put my small mind to it. But when doing any of my everyday cutting tasks, the EDC’s frame lock is more than ample for covering up my mistakes in cutting technique. The frame lock is just a simple, intelligent, and solid design, just like every other aspect of the EDC. The frame lock is a natural choice for this knife, fitting perfectly into the overall picture. Some have commented that other similar sized folders have a larger lock bar, and this is true. The question is whether the EDC actually needs anything more than what Camillus put into the knife. In my humble opinion, the lock bar of the EDC is a perfect choice of materials, thickness and fit. Only maniacs, who also happen to be total klutzes, could cause an EDC’s lock to fail by accident during use. And if such people are actually allowed to play with knives, then Darwin’s theory should probably be allowed to run its coarse. Let’s just say I’m confident that my great stupidity will never exceed the EDC’s ability to cover my butt.

The evolution of the EDC is also an interesting topic. If you look closely at EDC magazine advertisements, you’ll see what I mean. My first sight of the EDC was through a full-page ad on the back cover of a knife magazine, and it looks like a prototype must have been used for the photography. There a subtle differences between this picture and the final product. The most striking change was in the way the knife screwed together. The knife pivot looks like it originally had a very small set of screws, the same size as the screws used in the pocket clip. Thank god that Camillus decided to go with a larger screw!!! I surely would have stripped out a small pivot screw by now. The EDC’s actual pivot screw is excellent, and has never stripped in all the times I’ve taken the knife apart. The other screws mean little to me, as the very open design of the EDC allows for simple cleaning without having to completely disassemble the knife. A small indentation has also been added to the handle, in the neighborhood of the blade pivot. I’m working from memory on this one, but it looked like a mere cosmetic change. I don’t believe that it altered the thumb serrations, but I could be wrong.

125edc2.jpg

The EDC also comes with a dizzying array of possible blade materials. The 420HC version started it all off, giving those of us with smaller wallets a chance to get in on the fun. I always liked the 420HC version. It was a perfectly serviceable steel, and had great rust resistance. I liked it enough to get one for myself, as well my father-in-law. He has put the 420HC version well through its paces over the last year, cutting rubber gaskets out of lawn mowers and outboard motors. I was never fond of the partially serrated model though, as the blade length made separate use of the plain edged area to be almost impossible. The 154CM EDC has been my mainstay over the last year, as has done quite well. 154CM holds a nice edge on the small folder, and sharpens up easily. It’s a great “working man’s steel” providing just enough toughness for a folding knife of this caliber. The 125th Anniversary Edition EDC upped the ante one more time, combining a gorgeous black handle and 154CM blade with gold screws. This knife was truly a beauty to behold, and is still available today. The Anniversary Edition EDC is by far the best looking of the bunch, adding a class all its own to the design. The EDC has also been released with a D2 blade steel through A.G. Russell. I have yet to acquire the D2 EDC, but it’s high on my list. I’ve used D2 in the past, and would consider it to be an overall upgrade from 154CM. My latest EDC acquisition has a Talonite blade, which I am very impressed with. Talonite is very easy to sharpen, holds a good edge, and is utterly corrosion resistant. The Talonite EDC is easily the most expensive of the series, but you pay for performance under extreme circumstances.

One thing that I have noticed about the various iterations of the EDC over the last year is the fit and finish of the knives. Each successive generation of EDC seems to usher in a new quality standard for the knife. The lockup and smoothness of opening seems to get better and better as Camillus refines their process. It’s good to know that Camillus is working toward better QC, where others might be content to rest on their laurels.

Are there other features that I haven’t yet mentioned? There sure are. They may not seem like much, but you can bet that ambidextrous thumb studs are a godsend to the southpaws of the world, although the pocket clip is not reversible. The pocket clip does hold as well as any I’ve yet used, and doesn’t have a nasty hunger for blue jean material. The clip also seats the knife deeply within your pocket. The thumb serrations are nice and grippy, but won’t grind your hard-earned calluses off. The ball detent of my wife’s 154CM EDC was a little too strong for her get the knife opened easily, but she has no problem with my Talonite EDC. I’m not sure whether I got a magic one, there has been some reworking of the ball detent, or if Talonite just makes the detent a little smoother. Either way, you’ll never have an EDC open in your pocket by accident. Safety comes before convenience.

The EDC is also quite light in weight, partially due to the skeletonizing of the handles. I really hate wearing heavy knives when I’ve got something lighter than blue jeans on. Heavy knives tend to bounce around mercilessly in my sweats and shorts. The EDC rides weightlessly, whether I’ve got my swimming trunks on or a pair of kakis. This knife even has one of those slim profiles, which makes for great IWB carry. No matter what I wearing, the EDC finds a nice comfortable spot with me.

edc4.jpg

Okay. Let’s talk modifications. Do I alter my EDC in any way from its factory freshness? Yep. I don’t actually grind or replace parts, but add a 3mm accessory parachord grip. 3mm chord is actually a hair too thick, so I usually pull the center core out of the chord before using it. I remove the pocket clip and wrap the cord through the skeletonized slats, ending the whole affair with a nice hangman’s knot. The cord does get in the way of the pocket clip, so I place tiny metal washers underneath the clip, and put the screws back in. The washers stand the pocket clip just far enough from the chord to bring the clip back to full usefulness. I have not had any problem with the screws being too short for this operation, and have seen no issues with the lessened number of used screw threads causing the clip to come loose. It all seems like a pretty solid modification. The parachord enhances the grip ever so slightly, and looks darned good to boot.

Well, my mouth is getting tired of talking. And if you’re not convinced of the EDC by now, you’re never gonna’ be. I’ll end this by saying that the Camillus EDC is exactly what it was meant to be. It’s a knife that was meant to be carried everywhere you go and every day, and to do everything that the average man needs done in the realm of cutting. Camillus could have made the EDC larger for even increased utility, but opted to make sure that the knife could be carried, even where larger folders might not be a valid option. The “EveryDay Carry” is portable, solid, good looking, and cuts like crazy. And if that’s not good enough for you, then go have Darrel Ralph make one with the custom options you’d like. I’m sure he’d more than appreciate your patronage, and everybody loves the guy like crazy. I know that I’ll be giving him a ring when my credit card clears.

Big thanks go out to Will Fennell. He’s answered 8 billion EDC questions for me in the past, yet more Talonite questions, 154CM questions, as well as the answers to the mysteries of life. You can’t beat Camillus when it comes to customer service, and they sure make a heck of a good knife.

edc6.jpg

I couldn't agree with you more. For me it is going to be hard to beat this knife in any way. I love the clip and the EDC is so comfortable to carry I cann't help but use it as my edc. :) Only 1 nitpicky thing I would change is I would like to see the thumb stud about 1/8 back farther towards the pivit. Would this make it harder to open? Maybe, I don't know but wouldn't think by very much.
:) And Buz the D2 one is the best one of them all ahahaha :)

Buzzbait - Good review.

db - I agree with you about the thumbstud. That was my only gripe with the EDC. I think that moving the thumbstud towards the pivot would actually make the EDC easier to open, at least for me. Plus, the thumbstud would hang up less during deep cutting.

I can tell that you put a lot of thought and time in it. It is much appreciated.

I really like the EDC. It is at home in a pair of jeans or a suit. It could very easily be an EDC (every day carry).

I just wish they made a slightly larger version.

Another excelent DDR design that gets overlooked is the Paragee by Outdoor Edge. It has really been overshadowed by the EDC.

Originally posted by shootist16
Another excelent DDR design that gets overlooked is the Paragee by Outdoor Edge. It has really been overshadowed by the EDC.

Shootist, I agree with you 100%. The Outdoor Edge Paragee is an excellent little folder which deserves as much notice as the EDC.

Buzz, let me take a wild guess, you like this knife huh?
Me too. Great knife, great design for all of the reasons you mentioned. I think it's destined to be A Classic, just look at all the different variations this knife has been offered in in such a short period of time. I've had some non-knifenuts that have preferred my EDC over some custom knives that I carry. I have no problem with the size of the knife, it fits my hand perfectly. Still, a slightly larger size would fill a niche for some people. Another variation that I could see would be a CF version, (like DDR's customs) for people that would prefer a non-metal handle.

Darrel Ralph is one of the most prolific designers in the industry. His knives are not only functional, but the curves are downright Sexy. I've said it before, you could have a fine collection of knives just from Darrel's colaborations. I went from carrying a 154 EDC to a DeltaZ Osprey, (talk about Sexy) to a Talonite EDC. I'm not much of a fan of big folders, a 3" blade is the most practical for me, but I sure do want a CUDA/Maxx 5.5. It makes you wonder what DDR will come out with next, don't it? ;)

Thanks for the great review and unbelievable pictures. I always enjoy your reviews. Have you considered submitting this to a knife magazine?

Hmmm…. “submitting this to a knife magazine”…… Is there a market for meaningless fluff? Hehehe :confused:

I wouldn’t even dream of saying that I like this knife. Utterly in love is much more appropriate. I buy knives all the time, and always end up with an EDC in my pocket. I guess I should just get off my butt and call Darrel for a custom. Anything else would be delaying the inevitable. My birthday is just around the corner, so maybe the wife would be willing to cut me a little slack here. As long as she doesn’t get jealous. ;)

Thanks for the excellent review Buzz. I have grown quite fond of the EDC myself,to the point that I have all the versions including the Old Glory, except for the orginal in 420HC.
I will now have to get the new enhanced version to add to my small collection.

Great review.

I've had my talonite EDC for about a week now. It's a beautiful knife.

I was worried that the blade length would be too short, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much blade is there...made even more effective by the recurve.

The handle, however, just feels too short for the blade to me. It's probably because my other two main "user" knives are the Spyderco Military and the Spyderco Gunting, and both are designed with handles that are "oversized" compared to blade length...so that's what I'm used to.

The small and somewhat slippery handle mixed with the thumb stud being set "too far" down the blade (as others mentioned here), makes the EDC a bit difficult to open for me.

I'd add 1/4" to 1/2" to the handle and probably set the thumb stud closer to the pivot, and it'd be "butta". :)

Com'on, Buzz, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel! :D

I finally decided to clip one of those things in my pocket and give it a real-life test for a month or so; I'll report back. My present carry has a bigger handle which feels more comfortable to me now, and I really like a point for fine work. But maybe the recurve EDC approach will work well too.

In any case, it's in my pocket and it cuts paper and steak very well so far. Plus I do like that light weight; it hardly feels like I'm carrying anything at all. Hmmm - maybe it's not too bad after all.

I know what you mean about not having a pointy tip on the EDC. That was my initial hurdle to acceptance. I was used to a carrying a very pointy clip point blade or wharncliffe. The EDC's blade is much different, but I've gotten used to it. It's not awesome for detail work, but blows away a wharncliffe for "tough cuts".

Buzz,

great review and you are so right about this knife - would you have a problem with me cross-posting this review on a german knife site - (pretty similar to this but in german and pretty small compared to BF - it is at www.messerforum.net) - the guys asked me to do one but what can I say after reading your review - it would still be ©Buzzbait - I don´t want to claim anything - just re-post there.

BTW: Thanks for your answer lately on my question re EDC/Sharpmaker - did you got my email on another knife I wonder about sharpening with the 204 which I know you also do own - actually your review on that one (560/wBG42) made me need to buy one right away :D

TIA

Klaus

All this talk about the EDC is driving me crazy! I can't wait till my talonite version gets here. :D

I mentioned the Paragee earlier. If someone likes a similar knife with more of a point the Paragee would be a good choice.

The design is very elegant in style and functionality. There is some issue with the stud not giving as much leverage as you might like. My 154CM version was hard to open at first. My solution was candle wax. I rubbed wax on the blade and packed wax into the hole for the detent ball. Now it opens almost as easy as my D2 model. By the way the D2 takes a much better edge than the 154CM.

Klaus - Go ahead and post anything I write to anywhere you like. I've got absolutely no problem with it. People email me all the time, asking to publish articles of mine in various newsletters and hobbyist rags. I've never turned anybody down.

mine would be perfect, except:
i WISH it was tip up carry. the way it is now, the studs catch on the edge of the pocket when i try and remove it. second, i cannot get the pivot screw to maintain tension. it loosens up VERY quickly after i set the tension i desire, cause left/right blade wobble after a while and a very loose opening. lastly, the handle on mine seems very prone to rust. sure, i have a 420HC blade, and i must say, i LOVE this knife in general, but i would like to see a few improvements. this is one HELL of a knife, and i am continually amazed that one can get them at such a RIDICULOUSLY low msrp. i mean, bronze washers, what more need one say. thanks will!!

Great review, Buzz! A great knife, also. I, too, would like to see it just a "wee" bit larger. But as is, it really fills the bill.

Nice review Buzz!

I enjoyed reading it.

Though I am a bit disappointed that you didn't break out the dremel tool on this one... ;)

Firebat

Back