Extended Review of the Camillus EDC

Another EDC feature which I have not seen mentioned anywhere but which struck me at once is the total lack of sharp edges when closed. I have carried knives in suits and dress slacks for many years, and all of them had some sharp corner somewhere to snag material or wear holes in pockets. In particular, many knives when closed have a sharp exposed shoulder at the rear of the blade. The EDC appears to be totally devoid of such edges.

Great review Buzz. Good job on the handle wrapping. great idea :D
Quick opinion of blade shape and lock integrity vs CRK sebenza. I love my sm. sebie especially these two features. I know the blade steel will be an issue depending on the model I choose but I need a new knife ;)

I recently helped a buddy arrive at a decision on the purchase of a good quality knife, and he ended up ordering the Camillus EDC (yeah you Butch :)). As I read thru the info we dug up, I realized I too had to have one, and the Anniv. Edition seemed to have my name on it. Any day now it should arrive from shootist16 (great workin' with ya' Dennis) and I'll know first hand what made you write such a thorough review. Til then your review and fine pics will have to fill the gap for a couple future EDC owners.

Great review! Very well written. Reading this has made me want one of these knives. I think that I would want the Talonite version if I decide to get one. Buzzbait, do you like the talonite version better than the 154CM? Also is there any differences in the apperance of the talonite one over the one you posted pictures of? Thanks.

I have a couple but every time I see those pictures I start reaching for my wallet. Will should have you on retainer, Buzz. Nice review.

DaFox – Ah, the old EDC vs. Seb comparison. That’s a tough one, as the knives are actually so different. I don’t have a small Sebenza to compare the EDC to, but I have handled one. I also own a large Sebenza.

The Sebenza is a wonderful knife. It’s extremely overbuilt. While this isn’t exactly necessary for what a small folder is meant to do, it’s quite impressive. The Sebenza is as solid as a tank, and really designed for the long haul. This is the kind of knife that you use all your life, and then hand off to your grandkid for another lifetime. The level of craftsmanship and finish is simply astounding. The Sebenza is a functional knife of heirloom quality. If I was to lose my large Seb right now, I’d have another on order this same day.

The EDC is entirely different. It isn’t overbuilt, but built strong enough for what it needs to be. The EDC is meant to be used everyday and often, and thrown out when you’ve finally worn the blade down to a sliver. Yes, this actually happens on working knives. My 154CM EDC is halfway there already. I will say that the EDC is much more comfortable than the Sebenza, at least for normal cutting chores. I also like the various blade material options, preferring Talonite over BG-42.

If I had to use a knife everyday, and use it hard, I’d do an EDC over a small Sebenza. The EDC would wear out at some point, and then I’d buy another one. Like I said, the blade would probably get sharpened down to a sliver before the lock ever developed problems. The EDC is a workingman’s knife in every way.

If I were after a knife meant to last a millennia, and demanded superb fit and finish, I’d get a Sebenza in a heartbeat. The Sebenza brings extraordinary pride to the owner. Knowing that you own what may be the toughest knife in it class is a cool deal.

I know I’m stepping into a deep pile of doodoo here, but I’ll make a last comment or two. I consider the large Sebenza to be much more worthy of my dollar than the small Sebenza. The large Sebenza has pretty much no competition at that size and lock style. It’s the current default choice for a person who wants a large frame lock, but can’t quite afford a custom. The small Sebenza has many competitors, who actually do some things better than it. The ergonomics of the EDC alone make it a competitor of the small Seb. The large size stands alone in the playing field. The small size stands tall, but fights off the competition.

John – I prefer the Talonite EDC. This is all very subjective though, as people’s personal needs are different. I’m the kind of person who uses my knife hard, and wants easy maintenance. I also prefer to strop when I can, instead of sharpening. My bet is that a properly maintained Talonite EDC would outlive a 154CM EDC, just because Talonite needs very little blade material removed to restore the edge. The corrosion resistance is also a very big factor to me, as I do have frequent rust problems on my knives. The Talonite version looks better too, having gold screws and gold pocket clip. The blade finish is different on the Talonite version, and I like it better,

With all that said, the D2 version is quite tempting. I personally consider well-treated D2 to be an overall upgrade from 154CM. D2 is awesome stuff. It holds an edge forever and a day. At least Bob Dozier’s D2 does. I haven’t personally tried the Camillus D2 yet, but have no reason to believe that Camillus wouldn’t make an exceptional product out of it.

Camillus did a good job on the heat treat of there D2. At least so far I am very happy with it. With a choice of 154cm, D2 and Talonite, it almost seems like we are getting a custom at factory prices. The EDC is a steel no matter what version anyone gets.
Buzz for your question in the other thread on S30 chipping, no.

Buzz;
An EDC with a talonite blade spells LOVE!
Great review just multiply the good points by 10 and now you have a talonie EDC.

Face it, you are going to have to have one in talonite befor the year ends. :rolleyes: :cool: :D

muzzleup - Read my review all the way through!!! Do you honestly think I could have held out even this long? Even the Great Buzz does not possess the power to resist Talonite purchases.

Hehehe….. I got mine in last week, and have been cutting everything in sight ever since. This knife is DA BOMB!!!!! (or whatever kewl expletive people are using this year)

My latest EDC acquisition has a Talonite blade, which I am very impressed with. Talonite is very easy to sharpen, holds a good edge, and is utterly corrosion resistant. The Talonite EDC is easily the most expensive of the series, but you pay for performance under extreme circumstances.

Buzz, thanks for your opinions very well recieved. At the time of my decision for a small sebbie vs. large there were no others to match it against, or very few. That has changed recently. Almost 7 or 8 years ago CRK was Chris(.), with the help of some apprentice
worker(s). Now the waters are much muddier than at that time. We have a large assortment of knives on the same principle. I would agree now the large is in a class onto its own. It's kind of funny, at the time Chris was still making sheaths to go with the sebies he sold. I was among the first to get my knife with a pocket clip. I think I would be heart broken to loose that knife. Thus the pondering of a replacement to it. Just for EDC. If something happens to it, wears out etc... no sweat just purchase another, or the next latest and greatest. I'm sure the talonite is one sweet knife "steel" but I keep looking at the D-2 @ AG Russell. Too many choices :D

Back