1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fällkniven HK9

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by Cryptyc, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Cryptyc

Cryptyc Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Well I’ve got my hands on a blade that I haven’t seen on this forum or any really. Seems to be very unpopular, most likely due to low numbers of them around and their astronomical price (usually around $400). I fell in love with Fällkniven when I got my F1. My love affair strengthened with my F1 Pro. Fällkniven is definitely my favorite production blade company.

So, I sold off all of my other knives that I do not use as part of my simplify and minimize my knives to only hard users (no collecting). It left me with a void in the hunting knife department. I decided to look at Fällkniven for the solution. In their line up I really liked the look of the HK9 and it is touted as a premier hunting knife in 3G steel, full tank, Micarta handles, etc. I searched and searched and found a deal on one so I picked it up.

This is my initial impression of the HK9, next week I’ll post reviews and testing thoughts after I hit the woods a few times in this frigid weather hunting. God willing I’ll get the chance to dress a good animal with it too.

Knife comes with a great leather sheath that is very stout and hold the knife with awesome retention:

[​IMG]

The knife comes polished, which I don’t like particularly because we all know polished stainless scratches if you look at it wrong, but it does look nice:

[​IMG]

Look at the sleek profile of this little blade, and it is a stocky but small blade in my opinion. The handle geometry is awesome. It has a thicker grip with nice palm swells. I have XL hands and my hand swallows this whole handle, comfortable though. It seems like it will be a good comfortable user, I’ll report next week on how it actually feel in hand with prolonged use:

[​IMG][​IMG]

(Look at those perfect lamination lines)

[​IMG]

I’ll report back with more updates as I get time with this handy blade. Enjoy the pictures, I know I always do.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. Cobalt

Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    When I find a knife I like a lot, I get a duplicate just in case the knife company stops production, which they usually do, right after I discover the knife or maybe right before. So if you like it a lot, you may want to think of doing just that.

Riz! and Cryptyc like this.
  3. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    Not bad thinking, but honestly my budget won’t allow that for me. As long as I don’t lose it on a hunting trip I am sure it will outlast me.

Cobalt likes this.
  4. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Beautiful knife. I played with an H1 for a bit; blade profile was similar to my Roselli erapukko (but thicker). The more rounded tip of the HK9 seems like it would be a useful skinner. Look forward to your future reviews.

Cryptyc likes this.
  5. Roamad

Roamad

Feb 1, 2016
    Looks like a beauty. Convex grind?

Cryptyc likes this.
  6. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    That was my thinking as well. I think it will be great for skinning with that tip profile.

7. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    Yessir!

Roamad likes this.
  8. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    Decided to slaughter the Christmas tree. Of course I used the HK9 to cut off some branches from the trunk. Glamour shot!

[​IMG]

9. Pilsner

Pilsner Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Nice review, beautiful knife! :thumbsup:

Cryptyc likes this.
  10. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    That's a good looking knife congrats. I like Fallkniven knives but only have the Tor at the present.

Cryptyc likes this.
  11. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    Thank you for the kind words gents

12. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    The flu has kept me down and out so I have not hit the woods yet but don’t worry I am taking my son out Saturday definitely so I will update with an in-field review. They say it’s a hunting knife, so we shall see how it does with hunting chores (gosh I really hope I get a deer to clean and butcher with it).

Cobalt likes this.
  13. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    Ok so I’ve had time to actually use this bad boy for a hot minute. I’ve got it out in the woods a few times, even in the rain and can say that I supremely impressed with this knife!

I have only had to strop it to keep it blazingly sharp. I mean this 3G steel is out of this world! I cannot be more impressed with the quality of this little capable knife. Did I mention how darn pretty it is? Here’s some pics to make my point:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And like I said, it is always shaving sharp:

[​IMG]

Pilsner, Roamad and d762nato like this.
  14. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    I feel like I should also note that the VG2 outer laminate is very scratch resistant compared to the 420j that I am used to with the F1 and F1 Pro.

15. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Thanks for the review that's a good looking knife I like it, especially as a hunting/outdoorsman's type knife. I've heard and read good things about the 3g steel that Fallkniven uses also. I like their convex grinds very sharp indeed.

Cryptyc likes this.
  16. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    d762nato,
    Thank you. I cannot emphasize enough how impressed I am with the 3g steel. I've owned 1095, A2, 01, D2, 440, Aus8, various Moras, VG10, S30v, M390, Cos, and now 3G (just what I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure I have had other steels along the way) and I can say that the Fallkniven laminated 3G ranks up at the top. I really like it. I plan on just stropping after actual use so that I can avoid having to do an real edge repair since the 3G is a little tougher to sharpen. I sharpened it only once because the factory edge wasn't up to my sharpness standards and since it has only been the strop game. I dig it!

d762nato likes this.
  17. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    I’m just going to keep adding photos over time with this blade because I’ve been using it so much. Consider it an ongoing review. I got rid of the lanyard because it was getting in my way. I may do another one but not use the double diamond knot.

Anyhow some pics of it being used again:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still only quick stropping after use and it pops hair and cuts receipt paper with ease.

Pilsner, d762nato and silluine like this.
  18. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    My son and I went looking for some fat wood and just enjoying time in the woods. He wanted to bring his F1 Pro and of course I brought the HK9 again. Pic journey continues.

The fat wood score was real! Love those downed trees!
    [​IMG]

Everything tastes better cooked over a fire:
    [​IMG]

The knives out playing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My partner in crime:
    [​IMG]

d762nato, Pilsner and Lady1911 like this.
  19. Cryptyc

Sep 24, 2013
    I have been using this knife freaking non-stop and I admit that the higher ride of it with the stiff sheath can be a little annoying when sitting etc (at times, not always). I decided to buy an LT Wright dangled with a No. 3 Castrom carabiner. Now it is freaking amazing. It rides perfectly and is super comfortable when sitting, as we all know with danglers. Anyhow, pic or it didn’t happen:

[​IMG]

Pilsner likes this.
  20. Pilsner

Pilsner Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Looks superb, man. ‘Gratz! :)

Cryptyc likes this.