Fällkniven S1 Fail Video

One favourable thing I learned from this knife was that extremely thick sheaths actually ride better inside the pants, which led to the wrapping of 10-15' of 550 cord (over a thermal blanket) around my other sheaths, plus the two socks instead of just a soft padding cloth against the skin.
Is that a banana in your pocket or are you happy to see me?
No, that is my Fallkniven Odin wrapped in a sock. I call my knife Fifi.
https://www.getfifi.com/how-it-works

Last edited:
I owned the Fallkniven Odin. It was decently sharp, no chipping noted, but I never heavily used it because the handle seemed very slippery and unsecure.

The Convex edge proved a little harder to restore, and got somewhat duller quicker as a result (as usual with Convex edges), but it was ground much thinner at the edge than the SMIII Trailmaster, so it was a better knife...

The Fallkniven beige leather sheath was of some kind of diamond hard, super dry/super thick leather, and never stopped doing these absolutely amazing scratches all over the blade. The soft sides to the Fallkniven laminated steel was probably the root cause (The Cold Steel Nylon sheath on the SMIII Trailmaster was much gentler on scratching)... The Fallkniven pommel snap was also stupid in that it allowed the blade to come out three inches or so... I promptly got rid of the knife. The new black sheaths have cross-guard snaps, and so are much better: Avoid the beige sheaths...

Generally the impression was of good materials with careless or untested design, especially the grip and sheath.

One favourable thing I learned from this knife was that extremely thick sheaths actually ride better inside the pants, which led to the wrapping of 10-15' of 550 cord (over a thermal blanket) around my other sheaths, plus the two socks instead of just a soft padding cloth against the skin.

Gaston
Lol !

The comments made regarding bark river seems to forget the whole knife chipping controversies a few years back. Not to outright bash bark river, but the reality is there are many examples of chipping problems from many manufacturers. Some designs chip. Others made with the same conditions but with different designs may not.

Lily decided to turn her knife into a do it all tool. Instead of using her knife to create more tools to work with. While I personally don't like the "one knife to do it all" concept, she does. Different strokes for different folks

Gaston

Gaston, I have come to the conclusion that all your posts are a joke.
None of them have any useful content, and this was confusing as to why you kept posting them, until I figured out that you are an ongoing parody of a knife owner.

You are engaged in a performance art piece, transmitted to your unwitting audience via the internet.
So bravo, your performance has been good enough to fool many people for years. :thumbsup:

I mean, knives carried in pants socks...stabs not reaching further than elbow distance...kitchen knife edges meant for chopping...such wit! :D

The comments made regarding bark river seems to forget the whole knife chipping controversies a few years back. Not to outright bash bark river, but the reality is there are many examples of chipping problems from many manufacturers. Some designs chip. Others made with the same conditions but with different designs may not.

Lily decided to turn her knife into a do it all tool. Instead of using her knife to create more tools to work with. While I personally don't like the "one knife to do it all" concept, she does. Different strokes for different folks
Yeah, but she did it without any attempt at maintaining said tool. That's tool abuse, and it is hard to accept criticism of a tool that was not maintained.

Gaston, I have come to the conclusion that all your posts are a joke.
None of them have any useful content, and this was confusing as to why you kept posting them, until I figured out that you are an ongoing parody of a knife owner.

You are engaged in a performance art piece, transmitted to your unwitting audience via the internet.
So bravo, your performance has been good enough to fool many people for years. :thumbsup:

I mean, knives carried in pants socks...stabs not reaching further than elbow distance...kitchen knife edges meant for chopping...such wit! :D

Not just wit but creativity!

so... if someone who was just a normal non knife person takes this knife it would likely end up exactly the same way or even worse than the way she had it in her situation.

if she had her other knife with her i bet it would fair better, but still be abused and in poor condition.

Doesn't she work for or is a spokes person for a competing knife company? That would speak for why she beat on said knife with such recklessness. Maybe she'll put out a video of her doing the same to her knife of choice. I'd like to see how it would fair also to the same abuse, yes I'm curious like that.

I have 3 Fallknivens (F1, H1, and S1) and have really used them for years. I love them! I have used the F1 the most and it rides on the outside of my grab bag which goes up to my cabin with me every weekend and gets used a lot. I've used the F1 on countless backpacking trips and religiously sharpen my knives and I've only sharpened it maybe 4 times. It's amazing.

I used my H1 last year to fully dress, skin, and butcher a deer including popping joints, cutting the breastbone, and cutting through hide (very hard on edges) and it was shaving sharp when I was done. I was shocked there wasn't a single dull spot.

Fallknivens are amazing knives when used as knives.

I'll also add that picking handle material is ALWAYS a compromise. Tacky handles are less tough than hard handles. The Fallkniven handles run a great compromise but I don't expect them to be indestructible as much as I expect them to be grippy.

Just for the hell of it, I want to beat this dead horse a bit with an anecdote of my own. I have a friend. (Well, had a friend) who was a SERE grad years ago. He did me a real solid when I got jammed up, so to say thank you I gave him a knife. A Battlehorse Essiac to be precise in FFG O1, natural Micarta scales, brand new - a really nice knife.

Fast forward a year - that knife is covered with rust and severe pits. So much so that it would need a regrind before it can even be sharpened. It looks like it's been thru a war. Why? Because this dumbass kept it in his barn, on a workbench where it got cold every night and warmed up every day - covering it with condensation. I had very carefully explained to him how to care for a carbon steel knife, but as it turns out, this is how he treats all of his tools....(Had I only known)

So, is a Battlehorse an inferior knife because this guy is too lazy to oil the blade? By the same logic, is a Fallkniven a POS because some moron used the edge to strike a firesteel, the lanyard tube as a bow drill bearing divot or used it to chop little shellfish off of rocks? Well, if I had given my "friend" a Fallkniven instead of that Battlehorse, it would still be in pristine condition.....

Point being: If you are stupid, you can break anything. All consumer products have strengths and weaknesses. It is up to you - the consumer - to chose a tool with the right characteristics to perform best for you, under the circumstances which you will be using it.

Doing an irresponsible youtube video trashing a company's product because you act like a fool is simply proof of that person's character, imo, rather than that of the product being tested...

Last edited:
Fast forward a year - that knife is covered with rust and severe pits. So much so that it would need a regrind before it can even be sharpened. It looks like it's been thru a war. Why? Because this dumbass kept it in his barn, on a workbench where it got cold every night and warmed up every day - covering it with condensation. I had very carefully explained to him how to care for a carbon steel knife, but as it turns out, this is how he treats all of his tools....(Had I only known)

My brother has a plastic bag of tools on the front porch that he was soaking in oil to clean some rust off. I found it dried out and rusting in the dirt by the garage. He has probably caused more rust with his neglect which defeats the original purpose, but whatever. Now he has a large piece of birch with a burl on it. I told him to put it in the shed, garage, and a few other spots. I even offered to help move it. He is just letting it sit and spalt to a rotten soft worthless mess exposed to the rain.

People are free in America and that includes being free to make bad decisions. People that don't take care of their stuff tend to ruin it. Basic automotive maintenance is probably the most ridiculous thing I see. It is amazing what properly inflating tires and checking fluids mitigates.

I am pretty unimpressed with people that don't take care of their tools then complain about them. A knife is a temporary extended use consumable item. It cuts, dulls, and then needs to be sharpened until it is worn out, ideally anyway. If you can't sharpen a knife you might as well use cheap throwaway knives and save money.

Last edited:
Not to beat a dead horse on this topic, but I have re-profiled many tips on many knives. I like to be outside, I like to use knives, so I tend to use my knives very often. Daily mostly. Just to do stupid stuff. If there is a piece of wood around, I'm shaving/whittling/feather sticking/batoning/ etc. I have found that most, and I do mean most factory knives come with tips that are either off centered from an uneven factory grind, brittle from the factory grinding, not sharp, rounded, etc. The knives that I have re-profiled that are currently in my drawer are:

-Fallkniven F1 Pro: Re-profiled the tip because it wasn't as pointed and even as I wanted (mind you, I'm OCD)
-CRKT Sakimori: Rounded tip, basically did not come to a point at all.
-Tops Sudden Impact: Tip was super dull.
-Swamp Rat Ratmandu: If you owned one, you would understand why this was needed. I had to bump the shoulder down along the whole edge and thin the tip because it was just way too fat. The knife is a tank though.
-Becker BK16: Tip was snub-nosed a tad. Had to drop the spine a little to get the tip the way it should be (once again, I'm OCD).

Now mind you, those are just the knives in my drawer that I have re-profiled. Serious tip breaks like in the videos are different than what I am talking about. What I am getting at is that I have always treated my knives as knives. I like specific steels for specific purposes. Factory edges and profiles have limitations. Know the limitations of those items and use your tool within limitations. If you have the skills to slightly modify your knives to decrease the probability of failure, then do it.

My F1 Pro is with me for civilian woods adventures because it is a knife, that if used as a knife, will do anything I need it to do. I freaking love the Lam Cos steel!!! I have only sharpened my Fallknivens a couple of times (including my F1 and my sons F1- I've never sharpened my F1 Pro since I did the factory edge initially). I literally just strop them back up to shaving sharp in a few minutes after a days use in the woods. It's amazing. AMAZING. That being said, I bring my Ratmandu with me when on orders because when you are out at freaking NTC for a month or more and losing your crap exhausted, you do stupid stuff with your knife. I start using it to pry where I shouldn't, stab into containers of turbo shaft, etc. Just dumb stuff but it is easiest at the time. In those situations the thick SR101 steel is unbeatable IMO.

Be smart and have fun with your knife. Take these abuse videos with a grain of salt. I find them entertaining.

An ESEE 5 would have been a better choice for her. It would have corroded with the salt water, but i know from experience that the ESEE 5 is one tough knife.

I think she was testing to see how much abuse the knife would take before failing that's all:)

I've had an F1 for over eleven years now, and it lives in my flight bag. I have used it in the woods on occasion, camping, and simulating survival situations. Basic stuff, but not trying to cut rocks, or dig graves, or other things it shouldn't be used for. It has never let me down, and still looks practically new. No chips, no tip breakage, nothing.

Last edited:
Back