Factory edge angle information?

Sorry for the wall of text
IMO: There is no useless information. Right or wrong, you can always draw conclusion from any post/info.
I love posts like yours because of shared details of personal experience. Everyone can give general rules and they can be absolutely correct,
but it's much better when individuals are sharing experience that actually proves a general rule... :thumbsup:

Can anyone help please. I’ve just bought a Ken Onion blade grinding attachment for my Work Sharp. Does anyone know what per side angle I should attempt to sharpen my lil’ native in cruwear? Somewhere I read 15 deg per side. Thanks

Yup, the first couple of times that you sharpen a knife that’s new from the factory, you’re finishing and reprofiling the factory grind.

And the grind at the tip often does have to be finished to thin it out and properly even the entire bevel. I’m doing that now with a new Helle knife.

Can anyone help please. I’ve just bought a Ken Onion blade grinding attachment for my Work Sharp. Does anyone know what per side angle I should attempt to sharpen my lil’ native in cruwear? Somewhere I read 15 deg per side. Thanks
There isn't really a correct answer to that unfortunately. You'll just have to experiment because it depends on your typical use. Cruwear is a steel that will take a thin edge, so something like 15deg might be good but again it depends.

What I tend to do is sharpen a new knife somewhat thinner than what it comes with from the maker, then if I see edge damage from normal use I just go a bit coarser when I resharpen it. It's a bit trial and error.

What I tend to do is sharpen a new knife somewhat thinner than what it comes with from the maker, then if I see edge damage from normal use I just go a bit coarser when I resharpen it.

"Coarser"? Don't you mean a wider angle? Coarseness has nothing to do with how thin something is. It's about how rough the texture of the surface is.

My Lil Native with S90V came out of the box around 17 or 18 degrees per side. But that does not mean that anybody else's Lil Native will have the same angles.

My Ken Onion belt grinder puts a convex edge on the blade. If I set it at 15 degrees, the angle near the apex is about 20 degrees, and the angle near the shoulder is about 10 degrees.

"Coarser"? Don't you mean a wider angle? Coarseness has nothing to do with how thin something is. It's about how rough the texture of the surface is.
Yes, I mean a coarse angle rather than a fine angle. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

If 15deg per side results in chipping or edge damage in normal use, try 17 or 18 degrees and so on.

My Lil Native with S90V came out of the box around 17 or 18 degrees per side. But that does not mean that anybody else's Lil Native will have the same angles.

My Ken Onion belt grinder puts a convex edge on the blade. If I set it at 15 degrees, the angle near the apex is about 20 degrees, and the angle near the shoulder is about 10 degrees.
Yes. I was studying my edge just a hour ago. Convex. Not as sticky sharp as when it came from factory. Probably - as you’re described - 20 deg at apex. The obvious next question is to what fineness grit do you take it? I feel the finest belts are too polishy. I don’t mind a little bite but like smooth cuts through candy bags.

Yes, I mean a coarse angle rather than a fine angle. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

If 15deg per side results in chipping or edge damage in normal use, try 17 or 18 degrees and so on.
Thanks. I did. Find the factory edge was very acute and chipped/ dented rather easily. I was expecting a-hell-of-a-tough steel. And I certainly don’t abuse the knife. I have never had CruW before so don’t know what to expect either.

Last edited:
There isn't really a correct answer to that unfortunately. You'll just have to experiment because it depends on your typical use. Cruwear is a steel that will take a thin edge, so something like 15deg might be good but again it depends.

What I tend to do is sharpen a new knife somewhat thinner than what it comes with from the maker, then if I see edge damage from normal use I just go a bit coarser when I resharpen it. It's a bit trial and error.
Thanks

Thanks. I did. Find the factory edge was very acute and chipped/ dented rather easily. I was expecting a-hell-of-a-tough steel. And I certainly don’t abuse the knife. I have never had CruW before so don’t know what to expect either.
Sometimes you will find that a factory edge doesn't perform as expected. Once you have sharpened the knife a handful of times you should start seeing the true potential of the steel. Cruwear should be one of the better performers as far as toughness is concerned.

Sometimes you will find that a factory edge doesn't perform as expected. Once you have sharpened the knife a handful of times you should start seeing the true potential of the steel. Cruwear should be one of the better performers as far as toughness is concerned.
Truly. Thanks.

Back