Fairly Knives Chat Thread!!!

I need to learn how to make kimchi, scared I might over ferment it lol. Better weather in the bay now so I need to work on the Moto and start riding again.

YOOOOO!!!!

...way too late to get out of the shop (8 pm here) but I just finished glue-up on 12 knives!!!! 3 hours straight of just glueing and cleaning after 8 hours of prep (which included a fair bit of grinding), I'm worn out but it was well worth it.

I hope you guys are having a great evening! I'm going to go get a beverage!

I need to learn how to make kimchi, scared I might over ferment it lol. Better weather in the bay now so I need to work on the Moto and start riding again.

It's somewhat easy... sounds scary at first but is pretty foolproof. Some say to ferment at room temp, some say at 41-51, some straight to fridge, you can even blend them. It's pretty cool, you can usually hear the cabbage fermenting almost immediately. Once brined and fermenting it is almost good to go and somewhat difficult to make spoil.

I like fermenting all sorts of stuff, make hot sauce too with open fermentation. Lots of beer and cider too. Anything with brine or cured/smoked too, lol I have wacky hobbies.

Cool you want to get the bike going! I seriously want some sort of motorcycle for off roading and exploring here.

I may try to make kimchi for my next food project lol and pickled onions.

You should totally get a DRZ or something dual-sport for your area.

Get some rest and can't wait to add another blue DF knife to my collection.

I may try to make kimchi for my next food project lol and pickled onions.

You should totally get a DRZ or something dual-sport for your area.

Get some rest and can't wait to add another blue DF knife to my collection.

My father in law might have a DRZ, it is cool whatever it is! I'll check them out.

Get at me for any tips on Kimchi and Sara makes awesome pickled onions.

I worked on a your blue one today! As mentioned the blue black is a personal favorite and I even had to start up some blue/black scales/liners/pinstripe combo.

As a kid I was all into tennis shoes... Nikes and the likes. I could not really afford them but was still obsessed. I used to drawn and design shoes and one of my grails was LA Gear blue/black combo over white. It's pretty funny because I still think of that combo as an all time favorite and yes it is too cool!

Hi Daniel! Good stuff and we love Kimchi! I have to get out to see you! :D
We got got whacked with snow but we are prepared! We are ok.
Our neighbor plows us out with his vintage Dodge Powerwagon. Man, this truck can go about anywhere!!
Happy Friday, Gang!!!

Cool Rolf! Make some if you get a chance, it is pretty easy and very inexpensive superfood.

Still more snow! The "creek" below my house is up to 50' wide in places and you could usually jump across it! Crazy melt off. Most of the county has no snow, we still have a ton. Nice in the shop though!

Those Dodges are cool! I had a Ramcharger that went for about 400,000 miles with hardly any work done.

Day off today! 12 knives with epoxy curing... :D I carved a bit of Pipestone the other day and really like the material... final made it to the rock shop about 60 miles from here and got some more rough. I got one piece that is 16# for a medium sized sculpture and am really excited to do some cutting/lapidary. It is really cool material and I am going to try it on the mill.

Thanks, Daniel!
More snow again but only a inch or two. No prob. :D
Enjoy your day off!
You always keep things interesting, Daniel! Are you designing a Titanium All-Purpose Butter Knife, yet? :)
Happy Weekend DFerz!!
rolf

my bro-tastic chili is currently simmering right now hopefully it taste great as I tried something different compared to my fiances recipe lol

Hey guys,
Hope yall are alive and well! Just living the dream here. Or trying to, anyway. Haven't had my coffee yet, so....

D,
Got a question for you. I am always interested in why certain custom makers use a particular design feature. Since there isn't an "ask D. a question" thread, I thought I'd post here... can you elaborate on why you use asymmetrical grinds frequently on your blades? What influenced that and why/when is it preferable to a symmetrical grind?

Last edited:
Hi guys!

Tony I'll answer that question completely tomorrow, big day in the shop here and I want to give you a decent answer! I will say it is part inspiration and discipline.

One day I decided I needed practice grinding on my weaker side and decided to do a batch of chisel ground blades. I had a real feeling of inspiration and knew they were something special... literally sent chills up my spine and I was excited beyond words. I showed pics of the batch and someone asked me of they were inspired by the work of Phill Hartsfield. I found out Phill had recently passed away and while I had never heard of Phill or his knives I knew right then that my mission was set.

On the discipline side I decided right off to stick to a style and several design types... choppers, ultralights, larger edc's and Asian influenced designs. I also stuck to an exposed pommel, Backpacker style handle shape and flared tubing for almost all of my early knives. After that I decided to get away from hard use knives as much and go for more refined designs with thinner edges, etc... them moved to folders as a full time goal. I have recently turned full circle and want to make a name for myself as a prolific fixed blade maker as well as a maker of the very best folders money can buy.

Hi Rolf! Thanks for the kind words, lol I try!

Tony the main thing I like about chisel ground blades is how they cut very aggressively, are simple, easy to sharpen. A chisel grind is not better than anything else but will be the best for some people and I like that niche. I also personally like them for performance.

Grinds must all be done right, they can look good but that does not mean much. I like thin edge geometry over just about anything else. Many of my chisel grinds have a thin main edge and reinforced thicker tip which works great for all around use.

I need to re-up my membership and that will happen ASAP!

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, D!

I was sharpening a chisel grind the other day and was wondering... "why?"

Much appreciated!

evenin' fellers! D, you look like you're making great progress! So many sharps!

Hope you're all doin' well!

Thanks guys!

Still winding down from the shop... wow big day! Lots of snow here today which was wacky even with the big snowbanks we have.

Tony I glued up the Koa sent me with some thin black liners, it will be going on a Fighter!

Back