Fake or Real damascus knife?

Ebbtide,

The term Paki is usually used to disparage Pakistani immigrants to Britain. :)

Doug

Yup that horse is out of the barn.
Now what?

BTW, since when has that word become disparaging?

To answer your first question, I suppose this thread could be reported for contravening the rules regarding racism.
Personally, I prefer to call it out and bring attention to the fact that the way we use words matter, and that certain descriptors are crass and unsuitable for public, (in the case of this forum, global) discourse.

As for your second question, when I was in elementary school, I had several friends who took offence to being called 'Paki' day in and day out as an insult, regardless of whether or not they were from Pakistan, India, Indonesia etc.
Ali, who was from Pakistan, was my closest friend and I know it bothered him a lot.
So, in answer to the question, as far as I know, 'Paki' has been a disparaging word since I was in elementary school.
But then again, before that, I was far too immature to know the difference ;)

UPDATE:

Really, I don't know where to start. The issue came to an end: the second knife is Pakistani too. yes.

IMG_6814.jpg

Mr. Marcin who is the man who makes these type of beautiful knives called me personally (he is also reading the forum)

IMGP9666.jpg

and gave me confirmation of this and he was not happy about the whole story. Yes, because I have been cheated by a third person who goes around selling Pakistani knives (to gullible like me, yes) saying that they are made by Mr. Marcin (which is not true), however it is not at all like that. Mr. Marcin has nothing to do with that story, someone is using his name and his fame to do this type of activity.

Beautiful story isn't it? I learned something for sure, I hope this thing will be useful to someone else in the future.

THANKS MARCIN for your phone call!
http://kowalstwo-koszalin.pl/page19.php

You all have a good day, without you I would never have managed to get to the truth! cheers!

If possible, get your money back (again) and run -dont walk- away from the seller.

Only buy from a reputable seller. Some good advice in this thread about where to turn.

Last edited:
I was hopeful we could get through this thread without someone using the disparaging term, 'Paki'. Unfortunately not.
With all due respect, Lorien; Im pretty sure nobody here meant any disrespect, though Im sure they can fight their own battles.

The term 'Paki' is very derogatory in the UK and the Pakistani influence there vastly different - might You be influenced by that fact.

I suggest its a cultural thing.

I certainly dont perceive any racist remarks in this thread.

Being Chinese American and probably the only Chinese American who has visited Lahore, Pakistan and Chennai, India in the forim I can assure you that it's not commonly used as a derogatory slur in the US.

I've had friends in NYC call themselves Paki for short.

It's a shame that the guy fleeced you twice

I hope you can return the knife not because of its origin but because it was falsely represented

There are many reputable makers out there and you seem to be on your way to find one...... Good luck

Thanks for the updates and sorry about the hassles.

Your second knife was probably assembled \ finished in Poland from parts sourced from other places.

The second knife pictured above with the stag handle by Mr. Marcin is beautiful.

Good luck with this and you're showing admirable patience and composure.

I recently had a Pakistani guy BEGGING me on Facebook messanger to buy his knives because as he says he's poor. He would not stop even after I said I would never buy a knife from Pakistan. His profile had photos of burning Jewish flags. I think I responded with rascism and I have no problem with that. Lots of scumbags out there. These guys earn their reputations.

I think I responded with rascism and I have no problem with that. Lots of scumbags out there. These guys earn their reputations.
I hope it was a zinger, Jon. :D

That was my mistake on FB, accepting all "friend requests".
Unless I know they are a crook or a schmuck, hey I know it's FB and you're gonna' get spammed.

I just delete it, Rayban sunglasses, etc. But I got barraged by about a half dozen Pakistani knifemakers.
ALL making the finest looking, best performing Damascus obtainable anywhere.
I asked them about their testing and told 'em to send me one and if I liked it I'd buy it.

Haven't ever heard back, from any of them.

Who are the top Pakistani knife makers on BladeForums ? :confused:

Doug

More learned every day.

If the Brits adopt a term as derogatory, does that mean the world should follow suit and no longer use that term?
Interesting.

I suppose the Brits have stopped calling cigarettes "fags" because the US turned it into a derogatory term?

Either way, good to see that the new guy didn't get totally turned off by people here immediately insulting him and his knives...

The Scots still call cigarettes fags...But then there's a people who never cared about what others think of them lol.

Either way, good to see that the new guy didn't get totally turned off by people here immediately insulting him and his knives...

I understood what people were trying to tell me (some say protect me)..so no offense taken, indeed I thank them.

I'm sorry if what I said was offensive. I wasn't going for that at all. I was a bit blunt, that's true. Glad it's all working out for you now though.

UPDATE:

Really, I don't know where to start. The issue came to an end: the second knife is Pakistani too. yes.

IMG_6814.jpg
On page 2/Post 24 you initially (now edited out) showed a series of three knives, purportedly made by the same maker. Right? He had you choose this one.

One of them had a lot of skill in the grinds: long and flowing. This one above ^^^ showed none of that skill.

I could see it a mile away and I wasn't convinced they were produced by the same person. No way.

However, I decided that saying anything would be adding more disappointments to an already disappointing transaction. Let it ride...

Tommy, you have been very diligent and have kept a good attitude. I like you. :)

I hope you get some REAL quality in your possession soon.

Cheers,

Jim

To answer your first question, I suppose this thread could be reported for contravening the rules regarding racism.
Personally, I prefer to call it out and bring attention to the fact that the way we use words matter, and that certain descriptors are crass and unsuitable for public, (in the case of this forum, global) discourse.

As for your second question, when I was in elementary school, I had several friends who took offence to being called 'Paki' day in and day out as an insult, regardless of whether or not they were from Pakistan, India, Indonesia etc.
Ali, who was from Pakistan, was my closest friend and I know it bothered him a lot.
So, in answer to the question, as far as I know, 'Paki' has been a disparaging word since I was in elementary school.
But then again, before that, I was far too immature to know the difference ;)

1. Not wanting to have this discourse is why I immediately edited my confrontational post.
7 minutes later to be exact.
Since we've been dragged off topic anyway...

2. I honestly had no idea that this was anyway a derogatory term. Brit, Paki, Afghani, all shortened forms of a country of origin, to me at least. I live in the most ethnically diverse county in the country and never heard or saw otherwise.

Yet I shall say...
I stand corrected.

A wrong has been set right.
Now there can be peace in the valley. Good will towards fellow man.
Everybody sing! Kumbaya...

If Lorien feels the need to report this thread, do so.

Again.
No slur intended. Not being an anglophile my knowledge of Brit(isn) slurs is lacking. However, I do know the difference between pants and trousers.

I also humbly suggest my grade school experience in 1960's NYC was vastly different from Lorien's.

With all due respect, Lorien; Im pretty sure nobody here meant any disrespect, though Im sure they can fight their own battles.

The term 'Paki' is very derogatory in the UK and the Pakistani influence there vastly different - might You be influenced by that fact.

I suggest its a cultural thing.

I certainly dont perceive any racist remarks in this thread.

Again none intended.

More learned every day.

If the Brits adopt a term as derogatory, does that mean the world should follow suit and no longer use that term?
Interesting.

I suppose the Brits have stopped calling cigarettes "fags" because the US turned it into a derogatory term?

Apparently jumping on the new guy is OK...

ANYWAY (again), I hope the OP comes away with this as a positive experience even if that particular purchase wasn't.

Back to knives?

Apparently jumping on the new guy is OK...

to be clear, the last sentence in my post was not directed at you, but at those who use the pejorative term I identified.

And to Tommy07, I'd like to echo Coop's comment:thumbup:

Did you check out those Polish knife makers? It's good to support their works! Besides that their blades are pretty nice!

Back