Fall’s Around the Corner--Giving back!...-Winning #'s Are...

Congratulations and best of luck with your new job. I'll be starting a new job in a couple of weeks too, and I'm a bit nervous, but also excited. As for school, I think one of my worst experiences had to be when I walked into a class that I had missed the week before, and the professor started handing out a mid-term exam. Someone I'd managed to confuse that week's class with the following week (when I thought the mid-term was), and I was completely surprised and unprepared for the exam. :eek:

Thanks so much for the giveaway!

I remember in 6th grade (around '77) our teacher organized 2 camping trips in the Adirondacks. One was to Mt. Marcy, and the other to Blue Mountain Lake.

The Blue Mtn. trip was based more around science type stuff, studying the lake, bugs, water quality, etc. We also visited the Adirondack Museum :thumbup: Go there if you can!

The Mt. Marcy camping trip was more recreation and hiking type stuff. It was a great trip as we were all away from our families. The sheer beauty of both areas had a profound and lasting effect on me in my love of the outdoors and nature. I will always remember that time of my school days.

Thank you Ron Wilson (6th grade teacher, Peru Middle School, Peru NY)!

Thanks for the chance on this giveaway.

Glenn

hmmm...best day of school; I'll have to think about that one.

Worst days of school, that would be every day of the summer school I had to take when I failed my junior year math class, because my teacher was bad at doing her job.

Congrats on the new job and thanks for the chance!

My best day would be the day I found out my photography teacher was a gun and knife advocate. Since that day, we talked about hunting, whittling, woodcraft, and other things like that nearly everyday. Made my high school years bearable.

Last edited:
one of my best school experiences was when i was in trade school and had this transmissions class and that class kicked my rear end. but the teacher would tutor me before class and take the time to explain everything to me. never talked down to me or made fun of me or anything. i really liked him.

Congrats on the job, and thanks for the chance, I'm in!

My best day was in high school, 1972. I'm sitting in English class when a student comes in with a note for the teacher. After reading it, she looks up and says, "Jeffrey, you are wanted in the principal's office, right now. Take your books, you won't be coming back." I felt like Deadman Walking on the way there, but when I arrived, my Dad was standing there with a big grin on his face. Turns out he got tickets to the Ryder Cup matches at Old Warson CC in St. Louis, and I got to miss the last 4 classes of the day to go see it with him!

thank you for your generosity :thumbup: Count me in!

Edit: I could finally pick worst thing: the old headmaster was also gym teacher. He never liked me. Ever since I hit my head hard when I was 5 I've had poor balance and I didn't owned ice skates. When were skating he ordered me to walk 3 miles (I was 9 ) to other place in - 20 degree's C. When I did that, he said I could have never walk it in that time so I had to do it twice. I never wanted to do anything with him or ice skates ever since.

Best: High schools one week culture trip in Italy.

Last edited:
Matt,Congrat's on the career up grade :thumbup:

A bad day at school I remember,a study hall teacher wanted to make a point to me,about not being there. He was way bigger & stronger than I was,needless to say,I stuck around more.
-Vince

My best recollections from grade school was that the two women that were my next door neighbors(one on each side of my house) were the lunch ladies. Always got extra food and free PB sandwiches. This was back in the 60's when school lunches were alot better than the crap they feed kids now. Count me in and thank you.

I had a rough couple of weeks during the end of one semester. I had just gotten a used car after my previous one finally broke down for good. It was broken into while I was in class. The ignition was ripped out and a window was smashed. The cops had impounded it and it costs me a good 300 bucks to get it back (not counting the repairs.) Whoever did it got away with my CDs, some loose change, and nothing more.

Then, about a week later, right after my last final exam of the semester, I'm feeling good, driving home and BAM! Some guy ran a red light and t-boned me at an intersection. My car was totaled. The man who hit me tried to lie and say it was my fault, but thank goodness a security guard was working nearby and saw the whole thing. When the cops came he backed me up.

I ended up doing well on the test, at least.

I was reliving this story for my sisters just this week. When I was in 7th grade, our team took a yellow school bus road trip to a Junior High track meet in a neighboring town. A bus ride alone in those days was an adventure in itself.

After the meet was over (I won the high jump) the school bus stopped at a local Drive-In so everyone could buy a cold drink for the 45 minute ride back home. I had about 40¢ left and spent it all on a lemon-lime slush. That was a big one back then. A couple of the 8th grade boys had shoplifted a plug of Bloodhound Chew from a grocery store, and were offering a taste to anyone man enough to try it.

2312_1_lg.jpg

I took a bite. I remember it was sweet and burned my throat. Spit most of it out the slide down window of the bus, but not enough of it. The ride home was rowdy, and I remember singing raunchy songs and listening to a lot of the standard fare of dirty jokes.

About the time we pulled back into town, I was feeling dizzy and my stomach was feeling poorly. I had about a 15 minute walk with my friends to get home. When I got home I was feeling about as bad as I had ever felt with the exception of being sea sick, and headed straight to the tiny bathroom in our tiny three bedroom house, about 15 feet away from where my parents were showing our house to some interested prospects. My dad had taken a football coaching job in another town and we were to be moving that summer.

I had an episode worse than any college drinking binge with a hovering mother, inspecting the contents swirling down the toilet bowl, and giving me the third degree about what I had eaten that day. I was exhausted, and mumbled something about "Only had a Coke...", and she remarked sharply that Cokes weren't green. I skipped supper that night, went to bed early, and lived to see another day.

The interested party did buy the house. That was 44 years ago... and it was my last taste of Bloodhound, and my last lemon-lime slush.

Thanks for the chance at your generous give-a-way.

My greatast day was the day I kissed Sherry. My worst day was the day I kissed Sherry.

Thanks for the chance.

I was never a really popular kid in school. I am not a huge partyer or anything. But I enjoyed playing sports and was good at them. I remember during my senior year of high school I was doing two things, wrestling for the first time ever, and throwing the shotput and discus for the second year. Well as it turns out with some teacher encouragement I wrestled and actually went to the championship match. I lost but I learned a ton. Then came tracks season which I was really excited about. I ended up going undefeated in shotput with a high throw of 48 feet. I know not exactly super far but not bad for just my second season. Anyway I remember going back to school those following mondays and people who I had never met coming up to me and congratulating me on doing so good. My teachers all told me how proud they were. That was a good week for me.

Matt thanks for the G-A. My best days at school are in the now watching my daughter get grades I never got and watching her run track.

"Cross Dress Day". A bunch of guys and girls from my class decided to switch teams on the day before the last day of school. Or our senior prank, "G.I. Joe v. Cobra". Two ninjas started foam sword fighting during lunch. What will you be teaching?

I've always been on the heavy side and not being able to run especially far, jump especially high, or necessarily far... I always dreaded the arrival of the track and field portion of grade school PE. My eigth grade year I decided to pick the mile as my event. It gave me something to do everyday that I could accomplish and kept me from embarrassing myself at the shot put and long jump and high jump, etc. The last day of the session we had a track meet: two really good milers (one in the four to five minute range), myself, and some other kid who was skinny but really hadn't been doing much all session. It felt really good when he tried to catch me at the end of the race and I was able to kick it out and run away from him. Plus I got my personal best: 7:59:59! I don't know if I was prouder to have run an 8 minute mile or to have finished in the running.

Thank you for the chance, sir, a best wishes with your new career.

Back