Fall’s Around the Corner--Giving back!...-Winning #'s Are...

My worst day in school was when my first grade teacher told me I had to take off my toy pistol and couldn't wear my bandana over my nose during class. I couldn't believe the woman I was in love with didn't like outlaws.

The first day of first grade (September 4, 1973) I fell off the jungle gym at recess, dislocated my wrist and broke both bones in my left arm. :eek: I can still remember how bad it hurt when they reset everything.

I've never been able to rotate my left wrist the way I can my right wrist and over the past year I've started having arthritis there.

My worst day in school was when my first grade teacher told me I had to take off my toy pistol and couldn't wear my bandana over my nose during class. I couldn't believe the woman I was in love with didn't like outlaws.

That needs to be on your signature line Popedandy. :thumbup:

My best experience, so far has been getting to go to college, I started in late August on an Army ROTC scholarship. I've been enjoying almost every moment of it, so I'll tell you so far, my best, and worst memories.

best:

The college has an indoor pool in it's gym, I decided one night to go swimming, I get up with a buddy of mine and we head over. When we get there I run into two chicks, one of which knows my from business class, and about 6 South Koreans who just came to the states. The Koreans got out a inflatable pool volleyball and I swam over and we all played a game of pool volleyball, chick #1, 2 koreans, and me vs. chick #2, 2 koreans, and my buddy from Louisiana. The South Koreans keep track of the score, and once I figured out we was playing to fifty, I knew it was going to be an interesting night. About an hour later we finish, and I try an introduce myself, I first try Houston, but that got turn into "moo-shu", so I opted for my last name Wyatt, that also got a little mixed up and ended up being "why-shezt", I decided to try for Wyatt once more, and explained, "you know, Wyatt, like Wyatt Earp, like cowboy *doing hand motions of a fast drawl while explaining it". I got a confused look and a "cowboy?", :D seizing the opportunity to pick a name I could recognize, I settled on cowboy, and have since heard "ey cow-boi" a few times. So for some strange reason I feel getting called cowboy by a bunch of South Koreans my best memory.

Worst:
I show up to English class, we wear uniforms once a week, and it fell on that day, so I was in BDUs. The professor told us to introduce ourselves, tell where were from, and our favorite TV show. I went first, the college is in southern Tennessee, and there isn't too many South West Virginian dialects that my English teacher has ran across I don't think.. so it went something like this.....

me: "I'm Houston Wyatt, from South Western Virginia, an I like Man vs. Wild"
her: "hmm what's that?"
me: "a show with Bear Grylls"
her: "what?"
me: "Bear Grylls"
her: "what??"
me: *in as accent free, and as well articulated as I could muster "Bear.......Grylls"
her: "I'm sorry I can't understand you, next"

Then the realization hit me, my English teacher can't understand me........ oh heck, class ended with a discussion on public speech and articulation, :D all the while I'm being stared down.

I would like to enter this contest , thank you for the chance.

When I was in sixth grade grammar school I had to do a book report on someone famous from our state.

Since he was our neighbor I chose William Saroyan.
When my brtoher and I were very young he let us come into his house and choose a book to keep , as long as we promised to read it. I wish I still had the book...
He rode his three wheel bike around the block many times , he would let us pick his fruit trees.

Great man.

Tostig

Awesome post idea!
My greatest school memory.....
I was in 4th grade and for your birthday you were suppose to bring in a treat for all your classmates. My Dad was working 2 different jobs and we didn't have money for me to bring anything. I was taking some abuse for it and one day we came back from lunch and my teacher Mr. B brought me to the desk and said, "Your Mom stopped by with these to pass to your classmates for your birthday". It was a simple package of cookies.
When I got home I asked my Mom about it and she said no she didn't bring anything. I never forgot that and what that man did for me.
:thumbup:
They don't make them like Mr. B anymore guys.
:)

I'll be teaching the subject I hated most in school -- language arts. Hopefully I can remember how bad I disliked it and use that to make it somewhat interesting for those who dislike it as well!

Matt

haha. i do supplement instruction at my local college.
it would be awesome if they learned earlier. we need you.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Best Day = Graduation
Worst Day = forgetting to drop a class until after the deadline had passed :eek:

Thanks for the chance!

Awesome post idea!
My greatest school memory.....
I was in 4th grade and for your birthday you were suppose to bring in a treat for all your classmates. My Dad was working 2 different jobs and we didn't have money for me to bring anything. I was taking some abuse for it and one day we came back from lunch and my teacher Mr. B brought me to the desk and said, "Your Mom stopped by with these to pass to your classmates for your birthday". It was a simple package of cookies.
When I got home I asked my Mom about it and she said no she didn't bring anything. I never forgot that and what that man did for me.
They don't make them like Mr. B anymore guys.
:)

Wonderful story! :thumbup:

Wonderful story! :thumbup:

He retired this year.
My Wife and I ended up buying a house that's 200 yards from that local elementary school. I went there on the last day to shake his hand and tell him thanks for everything. He did a lot for all us kids. 30 years and he remembered me. He said he was taking his retirement and going into something he always wanted to do when he could retire. He was opening his own carpentry business.

He retired this year.
My Wife and I ended up buying a house that's 200 yards from that local elementary school. I went there on the last day to shake his hand and tell him thanks for everything. He did a lot for all us kids. 30 years and he remembered me. He said he was taking his retirement and going into something he always wanted to do when he could retire. He was opening his own carpentry business.

Life has a way of rewarding good people. :)

Congrats on the job - you've got a lot to give those kids. I do food service substitute work for the district here, and it's a lot of fun seeing all the little ones that I know.

Best experience: High School Graduation Day, Libby Senior High School, 1985. After all I (and my family) had been through, it was the first true life-changing achievement in my life.

Worst experience: Some background first: Our school had a nice gym, but no place for the out-of-town team to use as a locker room during our girl's basketball games. So, the boy's locker room became the out-of-town team's locker room.

No one ever told me this. :eek: (I was one of those 'invisible' types in school - really shy.)

So, after a rather rowdy game one night, that the Libby girls' team had just managed to win, I'd really had to go to the bathroom for at least the last half of the game, or longer. I been holding back until the end of the game, then made straight for the boy's locker room. I had to go so bad that I had tunnel vision, I guess; I got in, got almost to where I needed to go, and noticed that it had gotten dead quiet. There were probably at least thirty girls staring at me. When I realized what was going on, I literally ran out. I was so embarrassed I almost threw up.

Now, for the worst part, of the worst experience: one of my lovely friends, whom I'd made promise to never, ever, in our lifetimes, EVER tell a soul about this . . . told the yearbook committee. My story is there for all the world to read about.

~Chris

My Junior year in high school I was promoted to cadet 1st Sergeant. This was at St John's Military Academy, the same school my Father attended. In a Swords and Sabers ceremony my Father presented me with the same sword he carried as a Cadet 1st Sergeant when he was a Senior. A very proud moment for both of us. The saber above it was given to me when I was promoted the following year to Lt.

swords.jpg

First grade. My twin brother and I both had to go to the bathroom at the same time...twin thing. Anyways, I had the really cute blond teacher and he had the old hag (not being mean, that's the best description). So, after clowning around in the bathroom for a while, he started out into the hallway first. The cute blond grabbed him, called him by my name, and pulled him into her room. Leaving me to roam the hallways...Nice!!

I feel extremely blessed as I recently scored a middle school teaching position after almost 20 years in the construction industry. What a change of pace!

That, sir, is awesome. :thumbup: We can't get enough talented, motivated teachers, that's for sure. Congratulations and best of luck.

I’d be interested in hearing one of your worst or best experiences having to do with school days (or daze, depending on how you got through it!)

Given that this is a knife forum, I'll try to give myself an edge ;) by relating my best and worst knife-related school memories.

The best ..... in about the 10th grade during gym class, someone broke into a few lockers looking for cash. The jerk ransacked everyone's clothes and book bags and just tossed stuff all over the place. After gym was over and it was time to get changed, we discovered what had happened. The gym teacher (who was also one of our football coaches) was helping me round up my stuff. He picked up a pair of jeans and said, "These yours?" Just as he said it, a SAK fell out of the pocket and hit the ground.

"Yep," I admitted :eek: knowing that even back in 1985 or whatever it was, having a knife in our school was a big no no, grounds for a week-long suspension at a minimum (though it never stopped me from carrying). It was one of those long, non-locking models, kind of like the GAK. So while red and more-or-less non-threatening, it was still a rather large pocketknife.

The coach, who wasn't old by any means, but I suspect had sort of an old school soul, just rolled his eyes, dropped the knife into the pocket of my jeans and handed them to me. "I didn't see nothin'," he said. :rolleyes:

Other than going everywhere "armed," I was a good kid and never in any trouble. His dose of common sense saved my hide that day.

The worst .... During my freshman year of college, someone ripped off a SAK Explorer that my grandfather had given me, and a sweet Schrade 33OT. I still miss those knives (mainly the Old Timer, though I have a replacement that I've grown to care about as well).

-- Mark

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying these, reading about all these exploits. I'm sure others are as well! Several of them had me LMAO. Thanks! Keep on posting...especially those who tend not to. This has been enjoyable.

Matt

Congrats on the job. There are several great experiences I recall from school, most of them relate to a teacher making additional effort and helping classmates or me. A kind word or gesture is not likely to be soon forgotten.

The best:

Dating the hottest, coolest girl in my class in 9th grade...my friends were oh so jealous:D:D She was awesome:thumbup:

The Worst:

The whole sophomore year. Just a very large fail in many different aspects...

Congrats on the new job, and thanks for the contest! i could definitely use a good slippie as i dont really have one:eek:

I did'nt go to public school until 16.I was taught at home for the majority of my education.I make up for now by working at a school :) (custodian)

Back