Fallkniven Modern Bowie Knife

Long time no post! Glad to be back around. I hope you guys are ready for some review action from me again. I was recently able to score a Fallkniven MB10 for a cheap price of $375 USD (still expensive as heck for a factory Bowie). I had gotten it off of eBay brand new, made a bid and was lucky enough that the seller accepted it. The waterproof box it comes in is great, sheath is strong (would have preferred a zytel over the leather one), and I enjoyed the extra dc4 sharpener stone.

Theory of use and why I purchased this knife: stainless, tough, convex grind, ease of maintenance, do all knife. I really also love the aesthetic and am an admitted fanboy of Fallkniven. I couldn’t stomach the factory msrp on this knife and that’s what I haven’t gotten one over the past many years, but I have put bids on multiple in the past 3 years pretty heavily and finally a couple months ago got this one accepted. So I’m happy.

Now onto the knife. Absolutely a beautiful knife. The lamination is perfect as usual. The guard is solid and fit extremely well. The handle is a lot fatter than prior Fallkniven I own and I am happy with the texture as well. The handle material is definitely harder than in prior F1 versions I’ve owned. The blade is very thick with even grinds.

I have not put this blade into use yet but have just been ogling it. I hope to get it out and do some shelter building and basic camp/bushcraft tasks soon and I’ll make sure to take plenty of pics and do a use review for everyone.

Now onto some pics. I wanted to show the blade and give a size comparison to my Teddy2. I also wanted to show the handle in my hand all the way choked up on the guard (I have XL size hands). Plenty more to follow in the upcoming months with more use and review.

IMG-7335.jpg

IMG-7336.jpg

IMG-7339.jpg

IMG-7341.jpg

IMG-7345.jpg

On my lunch break I went out to the wood pile today and did some chopping and batoning with a quick and dirty feather stick to test the blade. I am happy to report that it made it through a few pieces of hardwood, chopped a couple thiccc boy sticks, and feather sticked pretty well with no glints or chips etc to the edge. Guard/bolster is still rock solid, and quality seems consistent with what I’d expect from Fallkniven. More to follow in the upcoming months.

IMG-7348.jpg

IMG-7351.jpg

IMG-7354.jpg

IMG-7360.jpg

I had one for a few years and never did use it and finally traded it away. Maybe I should have tried it out before I parted with it. I did get two good custom knives for it though. I will be watching your testing and overall thought on this knife. Oh! I thought about if keeping this knife, I would like to take that bump/hump off the handle for finger placement which I didn't care for. Thanks for your review on this Fallkniven MB.

I had one for a few years and never did use it and finally traded it away. Maybe I should have tried it out before I parted with it. I did get two good custom knives for it though. I will be watching your testing and overall thought on this knife. Oh! I thought about if keeping this knife, I would like to take that bump/hump off the handle for finger placement which I didn't care for. Thanks for your review on this Fallkniven MB.
My other large Bowie also has that finger bump. Must be a design for large Bowies. I’ll have to take a photo of the MB next to my Freerk Weiringa forged Bowie (the freerk Bowie dwarfs the MB10).

I like to do long-term use reviews so I’ll keep updating. I need to update some of my older threads on my hk9 and Teddy2 as well since I’ve put years and miles on those bad boys. My hk9 has cleaned a dozen deer already from hunting seasons. Oh and my Phillip Patton tanto since that bad boy traveled the world with me on deployment. Lots to do lol

I'm a fanboy myself and.loved your hk9 review!! Ill be following along with this and that again!!! I had given up hope on that thread.... No action for.years😥. Happy you made your deployments and returned safely.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE...

I feel terrible for this Marine in NY shitty......More.people need to .make a stink.over this bullshit.......

Thank you brother! I’ll update the hk9 thread soon for sure. Funny thing is I’ve used the hell out of that knife and it looks damn near new lol

Today I got the MB10 out to clean some trails and to do a very important yearly task. Every year I re-make a cross for my dog that passed away. He was a good dog and was with me before my wife and kids. He was a great companion for us and he loved the kids from the second we brought them home. He lived 16 years and passed away almost 3 years ago. Anyhow here’s some pics.

The MB10 is a wonderful woods knife. Great chopper and carved well for such a large blade. I enjoy it even more since I took it to the wet stones and made it irresponsibly sharp lol.

IMG-7669.jpg

IMG-7670.jpg

IMG-7671.jpg

IMG-7672.jpg

IMG-7677.jpg

Today I got the MB10 out to clean some trails and to do a very important yearly task. Every year I re-make a cross for my dog that passed away. He was a good dog and was with me before my wife and kids. He was a great companion for us and he loved the kids from the second we brought them home. He lived 16 years and passed away almost 3 years ago. Anyhow here’s some pics.

The MB10 is a wonderful woods knife. Great chopper and carved well for such a large blade. I enjoy it even more since I took it to the wet stones and made it irresponsibly sharp lol.

IMG-7669.jpg

IMG-7670.jpg

IMG-7671.jpg

IMG-7672.jpg

IMG-7677.jpg
Thanks for the story behind the pics...flooded me with memories of our dog, Riley, that my wife surprised me with (I wasn't thrilled at the time) after my last deployment (we pulled into San Diego after our "around-the-world cruise," my wife and I did cross country back to Norfolk and stopped in Colorado to visit family and she surprised me with a Aussie/Blue Heeler pup). The sad part is after 5 great years together with Riley, he got Lymphoma, and after a few thousand $$'s and 6 months of decline, we had to put him down. I am grateful to my wife for such an awesome, go everywhere, companion and thankful to God for the time spent. Now he is buried in our yard and we have no cross or memorial over his spot. Maybe one will come soon🤔🤔
But glad to hear about your companions impact on you and your family with the time you had! And definitely love the ruggedness of the cross and stones! Always a reminder of, as someone else posted, unconditional love, but to me it stretches even farther to God's unconditional love for us: "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Roman's 5:8)
Enjoy your family as we celebrate Independence Day! BTW, super sweet Fallkniven too! And again, thanks for sharing.

I'm a fanboy myself and.loved your hk9 review!! Ill be following along with this and that again!!! I had given up hope on that thread.... No action for.years😥. Happy you made your deployments and returned safely.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE...

I feel terrible for this Marine in NY shitty......More.people need to .make a stink.over this bullshit.......
sorry for OT, but I am uninformed. Marine in NY?

I had the NL1 Tor when it was initially released. Any amount of time chopping with it would smoke your hand since it had to be held tightly due to it's lack of contour and slickness. I have a MB now and just the change in the handle shape and material make this far easier to use.

Back