Fancier's Sales Updates

That is a good question. My best guess (which sometimes isn't actually very good) is that they cut a whole lot more blanks in 3V and as a result have more seconds.
I think that the 3V 3.5 preorder is still open because they haven't sent any of the materials out for assembly for the SK line. They will get to cherry pick the best stock for the GSO model and send the rest out to make SK knives. With the blanks still at grinding I think that they can adjust the number of the GSO knives that they commit to making and keep the preorders open.
I've been looking forward to the 3.5 since they released the new specifications. The 4.1 is just a bit too big for my typical needs.

Your guess seems very plausible. I forgot about the SK line, which is all in 3V.

As indicated, fully agree with you re the 3.5. Ordered that one in 20CV. At that blade length and .140 thick, I'm not at all concerned about giving up a little of the toughness of 3V in favor of some of the benefits of that steel. Of the 3 knives I'm waiting for, I'm most excited about the 3.5

I have kitchen knives in both 3V and 20CV, the 3V is ground thinner and holds an edge better than the 20CV under my use.
Both have been frequently used for a couple of years and neither one shows any patina or other corrosion.
I typically rinse them off and drop them in a knife block wet, so no special precautions are taken with either.
The both sharpen easily on a ceramic stone or loaded strop.
For my use there isn't any down side to the 3V, which has the plain old Peter's high temperature tempered heat treatment.
Come to think of it, both knives were heat treated by Peter's although they came from different makers and are different alloys.

I have kitchen knives in both 3V and 20CV, the 3V is ground thinner and holds an edge better than the 20CV under my use.
Both have been frequently used for a couple of years and neither one shows any patina or other corrosion.
I typically rinse them off and drop them in a knife block wet, so no special precautions are taken with either.
The both sharpen easily on a ceramic stone or loaded strop.
For my use there isn't any down side to the 3V, which has the plain old Peter's high temperature tempered heat treatment.
Come to think of it, both knives were heat treated by Peter's although they came from different makers and are different alloys.

Yes, I've read a lot of great reviews about both the corrosion resistance and edge retention of 3V with the PHT.
I have no experience with 20CV (or M390 or 204p) but wanted to give it a try. I hope S!K grinds it the same as the 3V as I have found little use for super thick blades - esp in smaller (< 4") knives. (I could be mistaken, but it seems to me that there is a general tendency back to thinner blades and away from the prybar type). My most used knife (I'm a city dweller, sadly) is a folder with a FFG 2mm (.079") blade that is a fantastic slicer and held up exceedingly well even when breaking down heavy duty cardboard moving boxes (almost no resistance from that thin, approx. 1" tall blade). A quick stropping or a few passes on the EEF DMT diamonds brings it right back to hair shaving sharp. Anyway, I'd probably be bummed if the 3.5 in 20CV was much thicker than the 3V version - haven't seen any mention of different grinds.
Hmmm...

ETA: relatively new to the fascinating world of knives and different steels. After a little thought: for kitchen use, i.e. on a cutting board, it makes sense that 3V (even if ground thinner) would perform better than 20CV. On softer, but more abrasive materials (cardboard, carpet etc) I imagine opposite results.

Last edited:
GSO 3.5 preorders and 3V 4.1 2nd are still available.
(Bumping the thread and placing the availability information on the last page.)
Thanks XtianAus!

So without scouring through all the numerous threads and posts on this subforum, trying to catch up on this GSO 3.5 Pre-Order. Where does this fall in line with their Starter 3.5s back in APR2015? With the modification they had/have to make on the 3.5s where in the world are these 3.5s that have came out post Starter Program (Pre-Sale/Pre-Orders, etc) going to fall in the order of fulfillment? I've lost count on how many 3.5 order offerings (among others) there have been, I'm a Starter APR2015 order myself as well as many more of you but this continued release of offerings is certainly getting tiring. Sorry if I diverted this thread a bit but an update on this new SK line would be tremendously useful as well.

If Survive follows their previous practice on the GSO line the earlier you placed your starter order the earlier you will get your knife.
There are of course a couple of things to keep in mind, because the 2.7, 4.1, and 7/7 are in production ahead of the 3.5 and are all simultaneously being finished and shipped.
There are occasionally hiccups in the production order and some knives may be released out of order.
There might not be any seconds of the GSO 3.5 because the less than completely perfect materials will go into the SK 3.5 instead.
So, in general, the order of fulfillment has been Starters, PreOrders, PreSales, and then they sell the remaining stock, if any.
The SK knives are kind of a wild card because we don't know how quickly they will be produced, so we don't know if they will be available before all the GSO orders are fulfilled. My best guess is that the outside manufacturer will work faster than the Survive shop, which is after all tiny.

If Survive follows their previous practice on the GSO line the earlier you placed your starter order the earlier you will get your knife.
There are of course a couple of things to keep in mind, because the 2.7, 4.1, and 7/7 are in production ahead of the 3.5 and are all simultaneously being finished and shipped.
There are occasionally hiccups in the production order and some knives may be released out of order.
There might not be any seconds of the GSO 3.5 because the less than completely perfect materials will go into the SK 3.5 instead.
So, in general, the order of fulfillment has been Starters, PreOrders, PreSales, and then they sell the remaining stock, if any.
The SK knives are kind of a wild card because we don't know how quickly they will be produced, so we don't know if they will be available before all the GSO orders are fulfilled. My best guess is that the outside manufacturer will work faster than the Survive shop, which is after all tiny.

And this exactly why someone from SKs should chime in and provide some better insight on these subjects. The transition from Starter-PreOrder to Presales to potentially sliding off to become a SK offering is a classic "rob Peter to Pay Paul" situation and might leave those waiting on a Starter further behind. I'm certainly hoping not and remain hopeful for some clearer communication from Guy, Ellie or Jordyn directly as most others I'm sure are.

I've been following the "POOR customer service" thread with some degree of alarm.
I jumped on the chance to order a 4.1 F2 when those recently became available on the assumption that these - as opposed to, say, the preorder for a 3.5 first - were part of a current production that is being finished and would therefore actually be "available" and shipped in a timely manner (within the stated 90 days). Was that a fair assumption? What do the veterans here say?

Seconds of the 4.1 20CV and 3V appear to be available.
The GSO 3.5 remains available for preorder.

At this point I'd settle for a Pre-Order, Pre-Sale, F2nd, SK (reject of the other 3-4 offerings as I've lost count), etc, etc....

And this exactly why someone from SKs should chime in and provide some better insight on these subjects. The transition from Starter-PreOrder to Presales to potentially sliding off to become a SK offering is a classic "rob Peter to Pay Paul" situation and might leave those waiting on a Starter further behind. I'm certainly hoping not and remain hopeful for some clearer communication from Guy, Ellie or Jordyn directly as most others I'm sure are.

Yup, would love to here from the S!K shop about stuff, any update would be great :thumbsup:

Keep in mind that starter/pre-order/presale are all still "GSO" knives and will have the specific handle materials, upgrades selected, and also the peened finish. Any blanks that get shuffled to Millit & Precision for the SK-line (and I don't know when in the process that occurs, before or after surface grinding or bevel grinding or what) will not have the same finish and may not have the same handle options as the GSO line. Guy or Ellie commented somewhere that the finish would be more like the older stonewashed models. So even if SK orders get out before Starter orders, they won't be the same.

I have a lot on order still so may not be able to place an SK order to test out delivery time, but I promise to give it a shot if I can swing it and then will report back. With the 3.5's still in process and the 12 not even cut, there is still time before we will know how quick the SKs can be produced and how quickly they may overtake the GSOs...

Or an ugly Betty....

For the price, Heck YEAH I'll take an Ugly Betty!

Updates to the Survive inventory have dropped.
GSO 4 LTD 2nds are available.
GSO 4.1 2nds in 20CV and 3V are available.

I typically rinse them off and drop them in a knife block wet ....
:eek:

Without even a quick wipe on a handy kitchen towel? That's a testament to the corrosion resistance of these knives/steels ... but I cannot help but wonder what sort of antibiotic-resistant creepy-crawlies might be breeding inside the slots of your knife block. :confused:

BTW, I just saw your post re. GSO 4 LTD 2nds and decided to go for it. That makes GSO number 9 paid for and awaiting delivery. Why would I do that given all the issues described on other threads causing some folks to doubt that Guy and Ellie are operating in good faith?

Well, it's a vote of confidence, triggered largely by the ungracious nastiness and questionable motives of some of the most vocal attackers on those other threads. Guy and Ellie may have bitten off more than they can comfortably chew, and may have made some faulty decisions about their business priorities, but I've seen no nastiness, unsupported charges, character assassination, or intentionally false and deceptive statements ("lies") from them here or elsewhere.

On the other hand, there's so much of that hatefulness on display in the posts by some folks that I almost wonder whether they work for CNN!

Last edited:
Updates to the Survive inventory have dropped.
GSO 4 LTD 2nds are available.
GSO 4.1 2nds in 20CV and 3V are available.

Available? Or just most materials are on hand to put them together and ship out in a somewhat timely manner? Really curious on the "availability" of them.

Available? Or just most materials are on hand to put them together and ship out in a somewhat timely manner? Really curious on the "availability" of them.
I took "available" to mean "able to be ordered on the website again now that materials are all on hand and production has advanced sufficiently to have identified some blades as 'seconds.'"

Please elaborate on "inventory have dropped", where are you getting your information as I see nothing posted on their site referencing this? If you have more direct info on this please let us inquiring minds know as it would appear you may be more in the know than us. Thx

I took "available" to mean "able to be ordered on the website again now that materials are all on hand and production has advanced sufficiently to have identified some blades as 'seconds.'"

That has been (and what I always assumed and was advertised) is the case but again it should lead someone in the shop to communicate a more accurate account of what truly is available to be produced and shipped within the 90 day timeframe. I really hope there is a massive catchup but at this point I'd almost gladly give up my GSOs ordered the past 2 to going on 3 years for a F2nd or an SK variant.

Back